Shaky Potatoes Tracker, WF (MUST READ OIG EDITION) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shaky Potatoes Tracker, WF (MUST READ OIG EDITION)

Teams have adjusted, now it's time for us to adjust. Cooney is being face guarded, and his man isn't giving help defense. If i'm Tyler Ennis, or anyone else on the same side of the floor as Cooney I am going to the whole time after time. Ennis did this a lot in the second half. I have been wanting to see a lot more of this, hopefully that's the beginning. We have to make them pay for taking Cooney out of the game.

And if Ennis does this earlier, eventually that man covering Cooney will help and then Cooney will be open again.

IthacaBarrel said:
He starting to look like the same player he was last year. The ACC has not been kind to him. He's the best shooter we have right now though.

I don't think that last year's Cooney would have shaken off the rough game to contribute so much to the close out.

But I have to admit that your position is taking on real substance. I gave you a lot of grief for it, so I need to get ready to eat some crow. There's still enough games left for him to save me from that, though, and I think we all want to see that happen.

Last edited:
After today's game against Wake Forest, Cooney has now made 14 of 56 three point attempts, a .250 clip, in ACC play.

On the season he is making 40% of his three point attempts.

With 8 more three point baskets, Cooney will have one of the Top 20 seasons in three pointers made in school history if this PDF from SUathletics is up to date. As Cooney breaks in to the record books, something magical may happen to his placement on the chart below.

View attachment 7204

Just to reiterate - the Shaky Potatoes Tracker makes no judgment as to Cooney's play. It is merely a statistical observation.

Addendum: The Shaky Potatoes Tracker makes no judgment as to Jim Boeheim's coaching related to Cooney's play, which the Shaky Potatoes Tracker does not judge.

IN OTHER NEWS - The board's own beloved OttoinGrotto played in his first rec league game tonight. After today's game, OttoinGrotto has now made 2 of 9 three point attempts, a .222 clip, in rec league play.

Shaky potatoes appears to be the goal of your scale, like the tip of the thermometer used for fund raiser tracking.

Should shaky potatoes be at the bottom, with maybe au grautin or shephards pie at the top?

Anyways, the missed 3s are tolerable, they will fall eventually, and the defense has to guard it as long as he makes a few. What is worrisome is the little pull up in the lane jumpers. Nothing but clear court all around him, and an 87% FT shooter can barely hit the rim on a 15 foot jumper? Come on Trev, shoot it like you want it to go in!

I've been of the opinion that TC was going to need to continue his progression. And that part of this progression was going to be continuing his shooting as the pressure increased. Doesn't look like he has crossed that hurdle yet in-conference.

On the positive side. I believe one way to do that is to assume more in-game pressure. It looks to me like that is happening. For the last two games he has assumed a bigger role in closing out the games. Yesterday he sunk a bucket in the unsettled situation near the end of the shot clock and hit nothing but net on the late FTs. Seems like he was asked to do more in those situations and has been successful in doing it. I think that can be something to build on.

The player hitting pressure shots in the last two minutes is not the player from last year.

Shaky potatoes appears to be the goal of your scale, like the tip of the thermometer used for fund raiser tracking.
That is correct. Shaky potatoes is a good thing, according to this scale.

He starting to look like the same player he was last year. The ACC has not been kind to him. He's the best shooter we have right now though.

I don't think that is accurate, at all [although I understand why you might be inclined to seek vindication for your earlier prediction].

Last year's Cooney sometimes didn't draw iror, and he had a tendency to really force. This year, he is still somewhat inconsistent, but he's taking all good shots--they just aren't dropping.

Qualitatively, your comparison doesn't work. And although I wish Cooney was shooting a little better, I'm not sure that it makes sense quantitatively in aggregate [although admittedly, I haven't seen the ACC data split out from the entire season; I'm sure that is a lot closer to last year than the YTD stats].

i guess you didnt see him win the game for us last night did you ?

he didn't exactly win the game for us. He made one jumpshot got a run out dunk and hit some FT's when it was over. the only contribution (scoreboard wise) he had while the game was in doubt was the jumper. Even then all the jumper did was erase the last semblance of doubt.

The guy who won the game for us was Ennis. He controlled the second half, and grew our lead and then kept it pretty much between 6 and 10 the whole half.

I'm speechless on this one. Is this another " the defense was so focused on Cooney that it helped everyone else's game" diatribe.

I have no issues with Cooney, though I do wish his shooting stroke would be a little more consistent. However, I have no clue what game you watched last night if you think Cooney won the game for us.

Trevor needs to drive to the hoop and take some mid range shots instead of always concentrating on the three ball. This should allow for the three within the flow of the game. Of course, I do not have 900+wins...just some helpful observations..plus he hits free throws...

I love watching Cooney play. Kid is balls to the wall the whole game. If he's taking open 3's, I feel good about it, even if he is in a slump. This learning experience will make the next 2 seasons really fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom