Shaky Potatoes Tracker, WF (MUST READ OIG EDITION) | Syracusefan.com

Shaky Potatoes Tracker, WF (MUST READ OIG EDITION)

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
After today's game against Wake Forest, Cooney has now made 14 of 56 three point attempts, a .250 clip, in ACC play.

On the season he is making 40% of his three point attempts.

With 8 more three point baskets, Cooney will have one of the Top 20 seasons in three pointers made in school history if this PDF from SUathletics is up to date. As Cooney breaks in to the record books, something magical may happen to his placement on the chart below.

shaky tracker.jpg

Just to reiterate - the Shaky Potatoes Tracker makes no judgment as to Cooney's play. It is merely a statistical observation.

Addendum: The Shaky Potatoes Tracker makes no judgment as to Jim Boeheim's coaching related to Cooney's play, which the Shaky Potatoes Tracker does not judge.

IN OTHER NEWS - The board's own beloved OttoinGrotto played in his first rec league game tonight. After today's game, OttoinGrotto has now made 2 of 9 three point attempts, a .222 clip, in rec league play.

With 8 more three point baskets, Cooney will have one of the Top 20 seasons in three pointers made in school history if this PDF from SUathletics is up to date.
the list is not up to date. Dirty's 84 triples last season puts him in 10th place and moves everyone down a notch.

Cooney is sitting at 57 treys . . . he needs 11 to tie Johnson & Burgan for 20th place

IN OTHER NEWS - The board's own beloved OttoinGrotto played in his first rec league game tonight. After today's game, OttoinGrotto has now made 2 of 9 three point attempts, a .222 clip, in rec league play.

Potato Race Tracker; Cooney vs OiG 3 pt percentage in league play

Player . . . . . .Games . . . .FGM/FGA . . . . . pct
Cooney . . . . . . 7 . . . . . . . 14/56 . . . . . . . . . .250
OttoinGrotto . .1 . . . . . . . . 2/9 . . . . . . . . . . . .222

who will walk away with the coveted Potato Cup?

Cooney's problem is that he shoots to get hot. If he doesn't start hot, he's not going to get hot. It's all in his head.

He has been brutal for weeks. He is the lesser of two evils at the 2 guard spot though, so we have to roll with him.

He starting to look like the same player he was last year. The ACC has not been kind to him. He's the best shooter we have right now though.

The General has already (correctly) pointed out that Cooney is in a rut and that is to be expected because of various reasons. And he has already assured us that Cooney will start shooting better near the later part of the schedule. So rest easy..

Personally, I think the entire team is in the middle of their annual slump - except this team is so good they win even when they are not playing well.

The General has already (correctly) pointed out that Cooney is in a rut and that is to be expected because of various reasons. And he has already assured us that Cooney will start shooting better near the later part of the schedule. So rest easy..

Personally, I think the entire team is in the middle of their annual slump - except this team is so good they win even when they are not playing well.

He will be fine. Looks to be leaning and off balance on a lot of his shot attempts and isnt squaring up. Also teams are putting their most athletic defender on him which is making it harder for him to get good looks.

Have avoided all Cooney threads so far; primarily because I don't want to contribute to this absurd notion that he's the "OMG most polarizing player since X". Umm sure whatever, as long as X = last year or the year before maybe. You really have to dig deep in to the archives there.

I'm not buying any of the shot selection criticism, or anything about ACC competition (advanced stat geeks know 3pt defense % is essentially random anyway). This is the 2nd game he's missed every great look and made the one bad shot he took. I forget if the other one was UNC or BC (hard to remember 'cause those programs are on roughly the same level now).
Anyway, What...make a shot please. Thanks.

In this game,after starting cold from 3, I was happy to see him drive the lane on a couple of occasions to try a pull-up jumper. Unfortunately he looked really bad on both attempts and really short-armed the last one. Here's hoping he can light it up from deep on Saturday. It will be "all hands on deck" to come away with the win.

He starting to look like the same player he was last year. The ACC has not been kind to him. He's the best shooter we have right now though.
Honestly, I think Ennis is. I'm even beginning to have more confidence in CJ lately. I also have confidence that Trevor will get it together. Hopefully asap.

I liked the Cooney that shot to stay hot!!! But it is concerning that he had really open, good looks against wake and missed every single shot. He'll get it right though, im not too concerned yet.

He will be fine. Looks to be leaning and off balance on a lot of his shot attempts and isnt squaring up. Also teams are putting their most athletic defender on him which is making it harder for him to get good looks.

This^^^^^^ He seems to be trying to come off of the screens too fast right now and is almost always off balance and not square. he needs to slow it down some. Every team we play is looking for him now off of the high screen.

This^^^^^^ He seems to be trying to come off of the screens too fast right now and is almost always off balance and not square. he needs to slow it down some. Every team we play is looking for him now off of the high screen.

time to try some back door cuts for him, and not just when Baye has the ball at the top of the key. teams know our plays so it's time for HOFer to make the adjustments we know he will.

Cooney's problem is that he shoots to get hot. If he doesn't start hot, he's not going to get hot. It's all in his head.

If that first shot had gone down last night his performance would have been drastically different. It was halfway down but rimmed out. He just needs to stay square and not lean.

The only player I've ever seen consistently make leaning jumpers was Dion Waiters. Every shot of his that went in shocked me because he was always fading away or falling parallel to the basket.

TC hasn't been terrible continuously since ACC play started, the last three games before this he made 3/6, 2/8 and 2/5 from three. And you can't shut down a shooter just because he goes 0-3 in a half.

I've been as cautious anybody about his play. I actually don't think he is necessarily doing anything wrong. He had some good looks. I think the season is wearing on him so his shot isn't as tight as it normally would be. But my bigger concern, because I think he'll have good shooting 3 pt games here and there, is that he needs to keep attacking inside the arc. And he did that a bit yesterday as someone alluded to in this thread. He did short arm the shots. I'd love for him to attack the rim or pump fake and draw contact. Would like him to get more points at the line.

BTW, if people want to see a leaning three point jumper, enjoy Jabari's shooting.

Last edited:

Not really. They are guarding him with the corresponding SG.
You can't guard CJ with a SG cause he'd kill you down low.

I've been as cautious anybody about his play as anybody. I actually don't think he is necessarily doing anything wrong.

Same here... He's playing good D, he made a nice pass to Grant toward the end of the game, made that great shot in the corner, made FTs.

If he's missing shot, forcing stuff, that's a problem. He's missing open looks, but has been strong elsewhere.

You can't guard CJ with a SG cause he'd kill you down low.

While that should be the case, it is almost never true. Because CJ rarely posts up on the block when he has that mismatch. He tries the ISO stuff, and his handle does not allow him to get around a smaller guard.

While that should be the case, it is almost never true. Because CJ rarely posts up on the block when he has that mismatch. He tries the ISO stuff, and his handle does not allow him to get around a smaller guard.

Shhh..other teams don't know that

Same here... He's playing good D, he made a nice pass to Grant toward the end of the game, made that great shot in the corner, made FTs.

If he's missing shot, forcing stuff, that's a problem. He's missing open looks, but has been strong elsewhere.

Great point on not forcing bad shots. GMac was the man, but if he was having an off night, he'd just try even tougher shots. Cooney understands his own shooting issues and stays within the game plan to try and correct them from what I've seen.

Really, really, really wish he had hit that wide open look he had on the pass from Rak. That was a tough one to miss.

Shhh..other teams don't know that

Again, another great example of why working from home is awesome. No one to question me when I'm laughing out loud for no apparent reason.

Teams have adjusted, now it's time for us to adjust. Cooney is being face guarded, and his man isn't giving help defense. If i'm Tyler Ennis, or anyone else on the same side of the floor as Cooney I am going to the whole time after time. Ennis did this a lot in the second half. I have been wanting to see a lot more of this, hopefully that's the beginning. We have to make them pay for taking Cooney out of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom