Shocked and disappointed at the lack of support yesterday | Syracusefan.com

Shocked and disappointed at the lack of support yesterday

Dcuse

All Conference
Sorry to be negative on a mostly positive day but where was everybody? There should be buzz in the community with this team and the community failed miserably. I honestly thought after last weeks win that there would be a good response. I couldn’t have been more wrong. As usual, the one’s that came rallied despite a very flat start- by both the team and the fans- to create a decent environment in the second half. Hoping we get with the program for the Pitt game.

Sorry to be negative on a mostly positive day but where was everybody? There should be buzz in the community with this team and the community failed miserably. I honestly thought after last weeks win that there would be a good response. I couldn’t have been more wrong. As usual, the one’s that came rallied despite a very flat start- by both the team and the fans- to create a decent environment in the second half. Hoping we get with the program for the Pitt game.

Not sure what you were expecting, beyond the diehards there wasn't any real buzz locally for the game and with the covid protocols a chunk of the fanbase simply isn't going to show up this year.

Not sure what you were expecting, beyond the diehards there wasn't any real buzz locally for the game and with the covid protocols a chunk of the fanbase simply isn't going to show up this year.
I don’t know, maybe a “ mild” increase over what it’s been so far. This was an Albany crowd yesterday. But, sadly, it seems most people have taken your no buzz feel. Such a shame.

It is what it is at this point. Don’t see it getting much better this year unfortunately.

I don’t know, maybe a “ mild” increase over what it’s been so far. This was an Albany crowd yesterday. But, sadly, it seems most people have taken your no buzz feel. Such a shame.

The no buzz isn't my feel it's simply the attitude of the local area, there's no real buzz for the fball team right now, bball yes, fball no. That can change however, get a win on the road before Pitt and bowl eligible things will spike a bit.

Also with the covid protocols and crap weather the walk up crowd is literally non existent where in other years it was probably a few thousand fans.

Syracuse Football is likely not going to get the support you want until we become a team that, at least, flirts with the Top 25 regularly.

That’s not just Syracuse, btw, that’s most teams.

Factor in how bad we’ve been, for years, and that scar doesn’t just heal overnight.

We also seem to face-plant anytime we have a chance to capitalize on any momentum.

Also, nobody cares about most of these opponents we face. That means the onus is on Syracuse to put a product on the field that people feel compelled to support… Hard to generate excitement for 4-4 Syracuse vs (Insert Mediocre ACC Team).

Blame the admin, they do zero marketing for this team. They’re already in to basketball season, per usual come late October
Blame the team for not winning enough games. Look, for the casual fan, winning is the only thing that matters. The casual fan fan looks at the record (before yesterday) - 4 wins, 4 losses, not so hot, let's rake leaves. If the team were sitting at 7 wins 1 loss, you couldn't find a ticket.

I was there and mildly disappointed as well. Especially from the students who have been fantastic thus far this year. I thought coming off a win and being the last game they will be here for that they’d have another thousand students.

Indoor events are tough these days. There’s a ceiling (pun!) that no amount of marketing is going to impact. For a notable share, it’s just not worth it. This is both the side that isn’t going to do anything recreational indoors unless massively compelling and also the side that isn’t vaccinated and had to jump through extra hoops. I don’t begrudge anybody weighing this trade off however it makes sense to them and our roof makes it a different experience than a lot of college football.

It would also help if we had a nationally recognized player on the team the school could use to help promote games….

While I agree, that also comes with winning.

Sean Tucker is two close losses turned wins away from being a national name on a 7-2, likely ranked in the CFP Poll program.

Fwiw, Tucker has been Twitter trending nationally almost every game we play. Which is no small feat considering you have to explore the sports channel wilderness to find most of our games.

I don't think the University does a good job promoting football in general. They lag in a lot of ways.

Basketball at this point sells itself, and when the team that finished strong last year looks exciting and promising after one scrimmage this year, people are ready for hoops.

There was more excitement for Pace than BC. People know the football team has some good players and have played hard - I think for football, the fans are taking a wait and see approach.

If we beat Ville and NC State we probably hit 43-44 for Pitt.

Blame the team for not winning enough games. Look, for the casual fan, winning is the only thing that matters. The casual fan fan looks at the record (before yesterday) - 4 wins, 4 losses, not so hot, let's rake leaves. If the team were sitting at 7 wins 1 loss, you couldn't find a ticket.
The casual fan probably doesn’t look at the record because they don’t see any marketing to let them know there is a game.

We were 4-4, riding a 1 game win streak. BC is a perennially mediocre program. Crowd seemed where we should expect, given the state of the program.

Keep winning, make a bowl, win the bowl, market Tucker and Shrader all offseason. It’ll be better next year if we do that.

I don't think the University does a good job promoting football in general. They lag in a lot of ways.

Basketball at this point sells itself, and when the team that finished strong last year looks exciting and promising after one scrimmage this year, people are ready for hoops.

There was more excitement for Pace than BC. People know the football team has some good players and have played hard - I think for football, the fans are taking a wait and see approach.

If we beat Ville and NC State we probably hit 43-44 for Pitt.

Would’ve been awesome if Pitt didn’t lose to Miami. They could’ve been a Top 10 team coming to Syracuse. Alas, this is the ACC and I should’ve known better.

The casual fan probably doesn’t look at the record because they don’t see any marketing to let them know there is a game.
I don’t know, if someone is so “casual” that they can’t even contemplate that we might have a home game on a Saturday in October, something tells me they won’t be buying a ticket no matter how much marketing is done.

If Covid protocols are a primary factor, then it should impact basketball attendance this year as well. If it’s a secondary factor (primary being the team not being nationally relevant), then basketball might not be impacted (or we’ll only see a very small, statistically insignificant drop over previous recent years). I honestly don’t know which way it’ll go, but Syracuse is in the unique position of being able to find out since the basketball and football venue is the same.

Indoor events are tough these days. There’s a ceiling (pun!) that no amount of marketing is going to impact. For a notable share, it’s just not worth it. This is both the side that isn’t going to do anything recreational indoors unless massively compelling and also the side that isn’t vaccinated and had to jump through extra hoops. I don’t begrudge anybody weighing this trade off however it makes sense to them and our roof makes it a different experience than a lot of college football.
Agree. Have a friend in music industry who shared the stats they have on this. Certain people won’t go and it’s impacting events everywhere still. With vaccine eligibility expanding we should see a tick up.

I sadly couldn’t use our ST yesterday. Halloween weekend made it tough to come up from CT and my wife planned a big party. Definitely looked sparse on TV. Bet the Halloween element knocked off 1k or 2k in fans.

We were 4-4, riding a 1 game win streak. BC is a perennially mediocre program. Crowd seemed where we should expect, given the state of the program.

Keep winning, make a bowl, win the bowl, market Tucker and Shrader all offseason. It’ll be better next year if we do that.

There are giant banners/billboards of UGA & GT players all over Atlanta. Not sure what Syracuse does, but I would love to see billboards of Tucker & Shrader in downtown Cuse come July/August.

Also, get some rich local business owners to sign them to NIL’s and put their faces on tv. Maybe that’s already being done.. but that’s stuff that I see down here.

I don’t know, if someone is so “casual” that they can’t even contemplate that we might have a home game on a Saturday in October, something tells me they won’t be buying a ticket no matter how much marketing is done.
People have other things going on on in their lives, they don’t dictate their weekends around football games like the hardcore fans do. The only way the game comes to mind is if they hear about it on the radio or see a commercial on tv.

While I agree, that also comes with winning.

Sean Tucker is two close losses turned wins away from being a national name on a 7-2, likely ranked in the CFP Poll program.

Fwiw, Tucker has been Twitter trending nationally almost every game we play. Which is no small feat considering you have to explore the sports channel wilderness to find most of our games.

Of course winning solves a lot of problems. But this team has lost 3 close games and was 4-4. Not a sexy record but we have one of, if not the best player in the country. If you can’t find a way to market that….. I mean, come on.

People have other things going on on in their lives, they don’t dictate their weekends around football games like the hardcore fans do. The only way the game comes to mind is if they hear about it on the radio or see a commercial on tv.
Ok. But some people here act like “casual fans” are oblivious. I suspect a lot of people knew there was a home game, and had no interest in attending. And a lot fewer people under 50 watch traditional TV or listen to terrestrial radio these days. Marketing requires a much broader, more expensive effort if you’re trying to spur casual consumer to action.

If Covid protocols are a primary factor, then it should impact basketball attendance this year as well. If it’s a secondary factor (primary being the team not being nationally relevant), then basketball might not be impacted (or we’ll only see a very small, statistically insignificant drop over previous recent years). I honestly don’t know which way it’ll go, but Syracuse is in the unique position of being able to find out since the basketball and football venue is the same.
I think they changed Covid protocol yesterday so that won't impact hoops

Wonder what crowd look like for Lemoyne tomorrow

It takes more than 4-4 to get people who are not die-hards interested. People I talk with who are not die-hards still have a pretty pessimistic, albeit uninformed, view of SU football. Just the nature of things.

Win another game and qualify for a bowl, and a few more will join in. But a large share of them will simply say, “It’s just the Craptastic Bowl.” It doesn’t mean anything. Babers has to go.” These people should be scoffed at, or at least ignored.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom