Shocking Number of Recent Athlete Deaths at Tommy Devito's High School | Syracusefan.com

Shocking Number of Recent Athlete Deaths at Tommy Devito's High School

God forbid me for speaking without knowing 100% facts on all boys but some not all is related to wealthy families whose kids have access to $ and sometimes that leads down a bad road . I’ve seen 17 year olds pull up in Ferrari’s at that school .

That article is a jumbled mess that seemingly tries to tie in non football related issues with concussions.

That said with the type of elite athletes to go to play at Bosco and the intense desire of the kids to play, win everything, and get recruited I'm not surprised to see the numbers a bit more concentrated. Every high school football locker team in America has kids hiding concussions from coaches as well as pain killers and sketchy supplements that undoubtedly have adverse long term side effects. As an athlete you do whatever it takes to hide these things from your coaches and parents because you want to play.

We weren't very successful at my school (class of 2002) and we still had steroids, and ephedrine based supplements pretty rampant as well as requisite pill bottles to makes your body "shut up" when it was trying to tell you to stop due to pain. Sounds like a lot of kids mentioned in this article never kicked those pill bottles after the fact which is an issue that reaches far beyond football.

God forbid me for speaking without knowing 100% facts on all boys but some not all is related to wealthy families whose kids have access to $ and sometimes that leads down a bad road . I’ve seen 17 year olds pull up in Ferrari’s at that school .
Having grown up in that area with a few friends who went to Bosco, I can say that some of what CT says here has merit. I can only imagine it’s worse now than when I was that age. I lost 3-4 high school classmates to similar circumstances that he infers here.

Having grown up in that area with a few friends who went to Bosco, I can say that some of what CT says here has merit. I can only imagine it’s worse now than when I was that age. I lost 3-4 high school classmates to similar circumstances that he infers here.
A lot of pressure on those kids for sure. Its like a college they are recruited and are the best of the best

these stories drive me nuts a little bit. the first thing they should do is show how unusual it would be to have that many deaths out of a school with that many boys. terrible things happen, people die in their twenties. how many above the norm are they? 1, 6? can't they start there?

these stories drive me nuts a little bit. the first thing they should do is show how unusual it would be to have that many deaths out of a school with that many boys. terrible things happen, people die in their twenties. how many above the norm are they? 1, 6? can't they start there?
I don't know. 9 seems way too high. I know it was back to the rev war days but I think maybe one in my high school after 5 years.

I don't know. 9 seems way too high. I know it was back to the rev war days but I think maybe one in my high school after 5 years.
I don't know. At my 10th high school reunion, we had lost 20 kids from my class of 520. A mix of suicides, cancer, accidents, etc. Sometimes these things just happen.
Reading the article, I didn't get the impression that these deaths were due to being athletes at Don Bosco, even though it seemed the author was trying to make that link.

I don't know. At my 10th high school reunion, we had lost 20 kids from my class of 520. A mix of suicides, cancer, accidents, etc. Sometimes these things just happen.
Reading the article, I didn't get the impression that these deaths were due to being athletes at Don Bosco, even though it seemed the author was trying to make that link.
I agree - if they went to a high school that was mediocre in football there would be no story.

That is 10 years. This story is about 5 years. And there is a big difference between 5 and 10 years. Just like there will be between 10 and 15.

That is 10 years. This story is about 5 years. And there is a big difference between 5 and 10 years. Just like there will be between 10 and 15.
And 20 is a lot more than 9 and they weren't all from one class, whereas my classmates were. If I added 3 or 4 classes around when In graduated, the number would be even higher.
My point being that, while it's sad, it's not crazy that young people die. The causes of their deaths were varied and seemed unrelated to each other for the most part, other than the two that died together in a car crash. If a couple were suicides and a couple were drug od's and a couple were a car crash, you've kind of got the sources of most deaths of young men nationally, right there. I don't think there's much correlation to football and those causes of death.
It's just my opinion and reasonable people can reach different conclusions.

And 20 is a lot more than 9 and they weren't all from one class. If I added 3 or 4 classes around when In graduated, the number would be even higher.
My point being that, while it's sad, it's not crazy that young people die. The causes of their deaths were varied and seemed unrelated to each other for the most part, other than the two that died together in a car crash. If a couple were suicides and a couple were drug od's and a couple were a car crash, you've kind of got the sources of most deaths of young men nationally, right there. I don't think there's much correlation to football and those causes of death.
It's just my opinion and reasonable people can reach different conclusions.
My mistake. Not yours. I didn't know it was more than one class

My sister's class from Auburn High ('06) has had an incredible number of deaths, mostly over doses.

No worries, Dasher.
DONT let him off the hook.

No mercy...

it seems high to me too but it would be nice if the 9000 word article bothered to verify it

it seems high to me too but it would be nice if the 9000 word article bothered to verify it
Article stopped just shy of saying Toal and BC encouraged all the players to drive fast and wreckless in cars.

9 kids from Fowler High School may have died just this year.

9 kids from Fowler High School may have died just this year.
I don't think I have ever said that no school could have 9 deaths in a year. just that it seems very high to me. Fowler high would seem high to me as well.

I don't think I have ever said that no school could have 9 deaths in a year. just that it seems very high to me. Fowler high would seem high to me as well.

There haven't been, I was being facetious.

Article stopped just shy of saying Toal and BC encouraged all the players to drive fast and wreckless in cars.
Bosco. Not BC. Don't lump Bergen Catholic into this! Kidding, I don't much care for either school, I'm a public high school guy. Ultimately both Bosco and BC have the same set of circumstances and societal cross section. I had friends at both.