Short 2-3 day trip from Singapore? | Syracusefan.com

Short 2-3 day trip from Singapore?

Melancer46

Living Legend
My girlfriend and I are going to visit some family friends in Singapore in February and we're thinking of making a short trip from there at some point during our stay to mix things up a bit. Curious if any of you all have any recommendations.

My girlfriend's list of possibilities currently includes: The Maldives, Thailand (island or beach place there), or driving into Malaysia.

I've heard Bali is pretty awesome, and your money goes far there.

The $$$ really does go far there! Bali is a great choice - admittedly, the girls are much cheaper for almost similar quality in Jakarta, but Bali isn't bad if you have a couple days to get the lay of the land. It's also just a better spot overall. Don't let those moped hustlers take you to any massage places - they're aggressive and everywhere. Definitely leads to low quality. Lots of Russians in Bali. Depends on what you're looking for.

Malaysia isn't bad - cheap, and they have some cool natural spots. The caves, temples...if that's the easiest spot to reach, do it up!

The $$$ really does go far there! Bali is a great choice - admittedly, the girls are much cheaper for almost similar quality in Jakarta, but Bali isn't bad if you have a couple days to get the lay of the land.
That's not at all where I was going with that recommendation, but, I mean...

550096-youtube_0.jpg

That's not at all where I was going with that recommendation, but, I mean...

Oh. :( I thought that kinda seemed to be where you were heading...my bad. :oops:

Anyway, hopefully this still helps. It's all about street vs. storefront in those places if you know what I mean. Just gotta figure it on your own I guess! Anyway, make sure you stop at the Ground Zero Monument after midnight...you won't regret it!

I mean, stop during the day too, but definitely go back after midnight. Definitely.

I lived in Singapore for a year and did a bunch of weekend trips. There are a bunch of good choices. First, you should decide if you want to do more beach, city, cheap, or modern

Maldives - awesome but expensive/far. It's a 4-5 hour flight, then a boat or another plane to a resort. You will totally unplug once you're at the resort, so allow a day to travel each way. Unless you had a week, I would say try some other places.

Bali - very unique beaches, temples, vibe. Warning, it is getting a bit too crowded and touristy. And some of the beaches are getting too polluted. You can venture out further to somewhere like Lombok (island next to Bali) and get a less crowded experience

Thailand - is awesome. Big difference between Phuket (beach town), Bangkok, or Chiang Mi (temples). All those places are cool in their own way

Malaysia - I never explored but heard really good beaches and scuba diving.

One of my favorite places was Siem Reap in Cambodia. You ride around in Tuk Tuk's all day and check out temples from the 1200-1300s. Besides Angkor Wat, it isn't too crowded. I really liked the vibe, lots of natural surroundings and countryside. It's a beautiful place

I lived in Singapore for a year and did a bunch of weekend trips. There are a bunch of good choices. First, you should decide if you want to do more beach, city, cheap, or modern

Maldives - awesome but expensive/far. It's a 4-5 hour flight, then a boat or another plane to a resort. You will totally unplug once you're at the resort, so allow a day to travel each way. Unless you had a week, I would say try some other places.

Bali - very unique beaches, temples, vibe. Warning, it is getting a bit too crowded and touristy. And some of the beaches are getting too polluted. You can venture out further to somewhere like Lombok (island next to Bali) and get a less crowded experience

Thailand - is awesome. Big difference between Phuket (beach town), Bangkok, or Chiang Mi (temples). All those places are cool in their own way

Malaysia - I never explored but heard really good beaches and scuba diving.

One of my favorite places was Siem Reap in Cambodia. You ride around in Tuk Tuk's all day and check out temples from the 1200-1300s. Besides Angkor Wat, it isn't too crowded. I really liked the vibe, lots of natural surroundings and countryside. It's a beautiful place
This is wonderful. Thanks! What would you recommend if we end up wanting more of a beach vibe?

This is wonderful. Thanks! What would you recommend if we end up wanting more of a beach vibe?
No problem, you're going to have a great time!

For beaches, there are several good choices. Try comparing these three to start, and I'm around if you had any more questions. My only worry is my advice is from living there 6-7 years ago so things can change.

Bali - the nice area is called Semanyik. Great restaurants (check out La Lucciola for lunch) and sunset views. The one main beach for swimming (Kuta) is getting way too overrun. You want to get a driver one day and explore the diversity of beaches. Black sand, huge rocks, waves, etc. For example, check out Uluwatu. It's a temple on a big cliff at the beach. I think if you want to snorkel/scuba you could get something cool with a tour

Thailand/Phuket - coolest thing we did in Asia was a day on a boat of Phuket. Went to a few small islands, jumped off the boat to swim, and did some snorkeling. And Phuket itself had places you can hang on the beach all day with restaurants nearby

Malaysia - I don't know it as well but do know people go there and love scuba/snorkeling

Also - one more wild card that you may dig. You take 2 different ferries from Singapore, and literally stay in open air villas. It is like staying in a tree house - Home - Nikoi Island

2nd for Siem Reap

one of the coolest places I've ever been to on this earth

So I will talk up Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia as I worked there for six weeks and just fell in love with the food, people, local lore and the jungle at night. Pisang Goreng for 2 RM. I'm not sure about the touristy stuff but if you are in Singapore in February just do yourself a favor and try some fresh Durian flesh no matter how bad you think it smells. I know I am rare among westerners but that is my Mulan Szechaun Sauce Lifetime Story Arc, tasting fresh Durian again. There are two seasons and you are there for one. People have described it many incorrect ways as truly, it tastes like Durian and that is a unique wonderful complex flavor unknown to me before 2018. An approximation would be to imagine fermented leek Hennessy custard, sweetish but oniony with a slight alcoholic flavor of various berries or melons on the palette like a fine wine that differs greatly between the many cultivated varieties, which is interesting itself as they drop from a straight bole quite tall tree at least 30 years old, the cultivation has a long long history. Just the whole fruit is cool as heck, a giant spiky rugby to volleyball size obsession for many people in Malaysia and Singapore.

Here's a little real info from a farmer perspective. A Durian Orchard is what I kind of want to have now instead of a vineyard, but I digress...

Durian

There's also Curry Laksa, get ya some of that.

Anyway I talked up the food, which is CHEAP, and I never got to explore the east coast but all the peeps I was working with from KL would go there for vacation. The vast beach caves and such.

Last edited:
The vacations you people take seem WAY different than my vacations!

I need to give some of this kind of stuff a look next time I travel!