Should we just hope to lose and lose a lot now? | Syracusefan.com

Should we just hope to lose and lose a lot now?

Nicknack

All Conference
Of course not, as a die-hard fan, I could never get myself to actually hope or root for us to lose. That could just never happen. That said, I do think about what might happen if we win 4 or 5. Would that be enough wins to keep Babers? That would be the worst... squeaking out just enough wins for him to stay forcing us to watch more of this brand of football.

I think most of us are ready for a change, we've seen enough and have been more than patient. I'm still hoping that we could do the unthinkable by winning 6 and going to a bowl game. However, there just might be a silver lining if we lose enough games this year to cement Baber's firing.

I remember playing golf a few years ago with a Clemson fan. He was really impressed with Babers. In fact, he even told me that he would rather have Babers over Swinney. Look at where we are now. Ugh. Like Dick_in_MI said, it's always been smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: FAL
This is just my opinion, but I think Wildhack is smart enough to determine whether or not it's a good idea to keep Babers as HC, whether SU wins 4 games or 6 games or more than 6 (miracle!).
There's a lot to assess beyond just win-loss record. Outside of the performance of the team, money is a big factor.

I'm tired of Dino's inability to produce an average college football offense but I also hope the players have a successful season.

This is just my opinion, but I think Wildhack is smart enough to determine whether or not it's a good idea to keep Babers as HC, whether SU wins 4 games or 6 games or more than 6 (miracle!).
There's a lot to assess beyond just win-loss record. Outside of the performance of the team, money is a big factor.

I'm tired of Dino's inability to produce an average college football offense but I also hope the players have a successful season.
The buyout is a problem so i hope that Dino wins. Having said that i dont think he will and i expect Gilbert to be fired and possibly before too long.

Not all records are equal. 2017 we had a better tram than 2019, yet that team had less Ws.

If we go 5-7 this year with Tommy as our main QB and O play like the last 25 games then I want Dino gone. If we go 4-8 and have a different QB and the O looks like 2016-17 O then I want him to stay.

if the running game works the offense works. we dont have the skill sets to do it without a solid oline. its gonna be week 4-5-6 before we tell if the oline is good enough to compete..

the difference so far this yr is the lack of TO's if we got the 2-3 we got last year many games we win by 14-30 the first 2 games and we are pretty happy..

I think the D is playing well and it feels like we have dumbed it down.

if the running game works the offense works. we dont have the skill sets to do it without a solid oline. its gonna be week 4-5-6 before we tell if the oline is good enough to compete..

the difference so far this yr is the lack of TO's if we got the 2-3 we got last year many games we win by 14-30 the first 2 games and we are pretty happy..

I think the D is playing well and it feels like we have dumbed it down.
We aren't going to be able to outscore ACC teams with the running game. Just not going to be a recipe for success in college football in 2021. Even if our defense plays great, we are still going to need 28+ pts to win most conference games.

So I’m not saying Dino is blameless. Because he has recruited and has not had an answer at the QB position. He placed all his eggs in devitos basket, and that has not gone well. And because of that, we have not gotten any other QB’s with experience.

But I would be very interested to see how we do the rest of the year with a different QB. It’s either a massive QB problem. Or it’s a philosophy/recruiting/play calling issue.

I know a diff OC, but we had over 600 yards with Mahoney. I’m not saying that every QB can do that. But we have not had an experienced QB other than Devito play in roughly the last 3 years (Rex doesn’t count as he was moved back and forth between TE and QB because of a lack of depth and experience at QB). I would love to see what this offense could do with a different QB. I think that would tell us more about everything.

For whatever reason, it doesn’t like Dino is willing to go that route though.

Of course not, as a die-hard fan, I could never get myself to actually hope or root for us to lose. That could just never happen. That said, I do think about what might happen if we win 4 or 5. Would that be enough wins to keep Babers? That would be the worst... squeaking out just enough wins for him to stay forcing us to watch more of this brand of football.

I think most of us are ready for a change, we've seen enough and have been more than patient. I'm still hoping that we could do the unthinkable by winning 6 and going to a bowl game. However, there just might be a silver lining if we lose enough games this year to cement Baber's firing.

I remember playing golf a few years ago with a Clemson fan. He was really impressed with Babers. In fact, he even told me that he would rather have Babers over Swinney. Look at where we are now. Ugh. Like Dick_in_MI said, it's always been smoke and mirrors.
I don't think there is an actual number of wins for Babers. I think it depends on the most influential boosters and how they feel the direction of the program is going. Remember P got fired at a bowl game.

Take It for what it's worth, I played golf with a Yukon grad a week ago. He had a very high opinion of Babers as well. People do like him and I think it's surprising to many of us of the trajectory of Baber's career.

But eventually it will come down to numbers. Whether it is number of wins, the number of fannies in the seats, the number of satisfied or dissatisfied parents and/or boosters, the number of quality recruits. Hopefully Babers rights the ship. I think we would all be good with that.

The buyout is a problem so i hope that Dino wins. Having said that i dont think he will and i expect Gilbert to be fired and possibly before too long.
yeah, if the offense doesn't look good by let's say after FSU, guessing Gilbert just may get the Ward treatment and get dumped. can't wait until after game 9 like he did with Ward.

We aren't going to be able to outscore ACC teams with the running game. Just not going to be a recipe for success in college football in 2021. Even if our defense plays great, we are still going to need 28+ pts to win most conference games.
a running game just means we can run and control the pace a bit.. we dont need 250 yds we just need 150 so that we can run play action. its not like the ACC is known for great D either.. As little as we did last week we probably still should have scored the 20 needed to win the game.. we lost the fumble and were in spots to kick fgs 3 other times and got none..

Babers has everything but the wins going for him. I’m hoping he stays and figures it out. I think we’re getting to 4 wins at least. That will be enough I believe for another year.

yeah, if the offense doesn't look good by let's say after FSU, guessing Gilbert just may get the Ward treatment and get dumped. can't wait until after game 9 like he did with Ward.
The O has been dysfunctional since Dungey left. That is 2.5 years. If the O stinks vs both Liberty and FSU, and we lose both games then Gilbert better be fired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom