Shout out to Brian ward | Syracusefan.com

Shout out to Brian ward

Against a team with a big online and solid returning skill players too. I have no idea if the D will be productive moving forward, but they did a nice job last night.

With the exception of one play where Kendall Coleman went for the big hit and didn't wrap up, there wasn't a whole lot of yards after contact. Thought the tackling looked good. It was also weird to see guys near receivers when they were running down the field (although Colgate did drop a number of easy ones). I fear teams like Clemson who have a great QB but after watching a decent number of different games it's obvious that there are a ton of average to bad QBs all over college football. This defense will make them be patient and make them beat us. I liked what I saw and look forward to seeing how the D plays as they get more comfortable in their reads.

I was impressed with mainly these two things:

A) Tackling

B) Whenever a receiver had a ball thrown to him, there was always someone right on them to make the tackle. Coverage was not nonexistent last night. Refreshing to see.

Those two things were a trouble spot last season. Kudos to all !!

Holding Colgate to one TD (aided by a penalty) is a good start for the defense. So, maybe it helps to have 8 or 9 starters back (as compared to only 3 last season)? And maybe the conversion to a Tampa2 scheme is manageable, after all? Kudos to Ward and the defense.

I agree, the d deserves much more credit than they are getting. Solid tackling all night. The linebackers played very well after settling in after that first series. A number of picks were left on the field. Ellison had two right on his hands, Whitner had two, and Hodge had that crazy leaping one that would have been on SC if he held onto it. Once the back four get a little more comfortable you're going to see them break on the ball hard and make some plays. Guys on the edge lost contain that first series which was disastrous. They settled in and started dragging the tackles to the inside and that pretty much closed the door. Good to see an adjustment for a change. I was really impressed with Coleman. Kid is smart, disciplined, and has very good feet. When he adds strength he's going to be a monster. Anyone notice Jonathan Thomas putting his hand in the ground and bringing it on those third and long sets? Was very happy to see that.

It's one game, but I definitely thought there were a better fundamentals last night then under Safer However I still prefer Shafer's scheme to the Tampa two.

I think as with most first games, there were some good things, things that that will require more time and some questions...I think the d-line was stout at point of attack and did not get pushed back, did not see great pass rushing with our front 4 but it was first game and think that gets a little better...that said it won't be a strength w/o a little help...thought Zaire looked good and the lbs looked fast...I think that will be a strength... coupled whether tackling and that is good...Cordy is an absolute missle providing run support...he made same fantastic plays...the guys on the outside also looked good tackling...that said the QB mis-fired on a few open receivers...I think it will take another game or two to fairly assess...did not see any new injuries so it is good we will be going into Louisville status quo with maybe one or two returning... overall commendable first game effort... looking forward to Louisville...

A) Tackling

B) Whenever a receiver had a ball thrown to him, there was always someone right on them to make the tackle. Coverage was not nonexistent last night. Refreshing to see.

And none of our guys writhing around on the turf after trying to deliver some atomic hit. The stress on tackling soundly has something to do with the fact that we're a small team, especially in the back 7. I think before they got caught up trying to inflict pain on the ball carrier and that's sometimes difficult when they're actually bigger than you. Focusing on just bringing the guy down is a sounder policy, especially when we're so thin on depth.

blizz said:
I agree, the d deserves much more credit than they are getting. Solid tackling all night. The linebackers played very well after settling in after that first series. A number of picks were left on the field. Ellison had two right on his hands, Whitner had two, and Hodge had that crazy leaping one that would have been on SC if he held onto it. Once the back four get a little more comfortable you're going to see them break on the ball hard and make some plays. Guys on the edge lost contain that first series which was disastrous. They settled in and started dragging the tackles to the inside and that pretty much closed the door. Good to see an adjustment for a change. I was really impressed with Coleman. Kid is smart, disciplined, and has very good feet. When he adds strength he's going to be a monster. Anyone notice Jonathan Thomas putting his hand in the ground and bringing it on those third and long sets? Was very happy to see that.

I did see JT- I was like who on earth was that DE!? Lol

A) Tackling

I would add:
C) the CBs didn't line up 10 yds. off the LOS.

Do u remember, roughly, when Thomas was in? I want to go back and check it out. PS.com said they had 3 safeties in too.

Do u remember, roughly, when Thomas was in? I want to go back and check it out. PS.com said they had 3 safeties in too.
If you mean Jonathan Thomas, I noticed him rushing the edge from a down 7 or 9 position early on but didn't realize it was him till later in the game. When exactly can't say. But roughly mid 2nd and at several points in 3rd and 4th. I think though that you mean the play by Hodge and again, not sure, I'm trying to find a replay of the game, but I think 2nd quarter.

If you mean Jonathan Thomas, I noticed him rushing the edge from a down 7 or 9 position early on but didn't realize it was him till later in the game. When exactly can't say. But roughly mid 2nd and at several points in 3rd and 4th. I think though that you mean the play by Hodge and again, not sure, I'm trying to find a replay of the game, but I think 2nd quarter.
yup, thanks.

I think the first drive and lack of crazy sack number/qb hurries has people viewing this defense as not good or needs work. This is the defense we need for our offense. You keep the play in front of you, you make them run lots of plays, AND that will increase the amount of mistakes and/or turnovers the offense will make.

Solid fundamentals almost never out of position looked to be in good shape.

Negatives we are very weak at corner. Our secondary needed the two non qualifiers big time. LV has to be salivating.

kcsu said:
Solid fundamentals almost never out of position looked to be in good shape. Negatives we are very weak at corner. Our secondary needed the two non qualifiers big time. LV has to be salivating.

How did you divulge that from the game?

82 total passing yards?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom