Shows you only started watching after their original run | Syracusefan.com

Shows you only started watching after their original run

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
What shows did you only start watching when they went into syndication repeats? I'm not talking about shows that were on before you born. This is shows that you just didn't figure were worth watching originally but started enjoying later on.

For me, it would be Seinfeld. I just never figured a show could be as funny as everyone seemed to think it was. I was wrong.

I've got some good ones.

I timed Breaking Bad perfectly. Had the entire series on DVR up to the final season such that I caught up right after the final season started. It was a great way to watch it.

New Girl. Hilarious show, that was a quarantine sanity saver for my wife and I. We're going to do the same with Schitt's Creek at some point. Been sitting on that one.

I've got some good ones.

I timed Breaking Bad perfectly. Had the entire series on DVR up to the final season such that I caught up right after the final season started. It was a great way to watch it.

New Girl. Hilarious show, that was a quarantine sanity saver for my wife and I. We're going to do the same with Schitt's Creek at some point. Been sitting on that one.

Good call on Schitt's Creek. I haven't started but want to watch that one.

The Office. The few glimpses I had of the show just didn't do it for me. I didn't get it, and the lack of audience-cued laughter made it hard for me to tell what was funny and what was just, well, awkward. After I started from the beginning, at my daughter's suggestion, I finally got it and loved it. And yeah, awkward (cringeworthy, at times) and funny CAN go hand-in-hand!

What shows did you only start watching when they went into syndication repeats? I'm not talking about shows that were on before you born. This is shows that you just didn't figure were worth watching originally but started enjoying later on.

For me, it would be Seinfeld. I just never figured a show could be as funny as everyone seemed to think it was. I was wrong.
You will now find that there is an applicable Seinfeld episode for many of life’s situations.

The Office. The few glimpses I had of the show just didn't do it for me. I didn't get it, and the lack of audience-cued laughter made it hard for me to tell what was funny and what was just, well, awkward. After I started from the beginning, at my daughter's suggestion, I finally got it and loved it. And yeah, awkward (cringeworthy, at times) and funny CAN go hand-in-hand!

That's another good one. I didn't watch the first season but I picked it up during it's original run during the second season at my brother's suggestion. I didn't enjoy the later seasons as much, but the first 5 seasons are great.

I've got some good ones.

same here with Breaking Bad. Binged before the final season, and watched that season as it was rolled out on AMC. It was really weird, having gone through the first 4 seasons in breakneck fashion, and then having to wait a week in between episodes for Season 5.

Maybe 10 years ago, I bought The Wire box set (remember those???) on Amazon, never having seen an episode previously. Needless to say, my mind was blown. This was before the explosion of streaming services, of course.

I've got some good ones.

I got into Breaking Bad in the summer before the last season. Binge watched the whole thing, and I think I finished days before the last season started. Watched that season live and would be on pins and needles all week long waiting for the next episode, just going all in on the hype. It was a fun time.

I even asked a barista to “tread lightly on the foam” in the days after that first episode stunner. I don’t think he caught the reference.

I binged Alias a few months ago. Entertaining, if not a bit uneven. Great cast, too.

Might have been a little overlap between the original run and my catching it, but the Tony Bourdain show. The ads were so off-putting that I didn't watch it for a long time, but then I managed to sit through a rerun and it drew me in.

I binged Alias a few months ago. Entertaining, if not a bit uneven. Great cast, too.
Cooper before he was anything. Garner too for that matter. Great show.

Best character on that show was the guy who plays Mayhem in the commercials. "Hey Dummy"
Yes, the beeper king of New York. Alec Baldwin character quips after an incident “you should have taken a photo of that with the camera on your beeper”. hilarious.

Most shows I seem to watch after the fact. Went years without really being a show guy. But Breaking Bad and the Office... good stuff. The Office is genius and the definition of something you can keep watching.

I was too young for Soap, but I caught it in syndication in the 80s/90s, and re-watched it on Netflix before it went away.

Does Gilligans Island count.. watched a million times after it was syndicated as a kid.

Carol Burnett show since I was too young to really pay much attention first time.

Does Gilligans Island count.. watched a million times after it was syndicated as a kid.

Carol Burnett show since I was too young to really pay much attention first time.
I know this is a complete move away from the OP, but in high school I worked in a kitchen with two younger guys who got into the honeymooners one summer. This was mid to late 80’s. Definitely not the brightest guys. So, they’re in the middle of a conversation about an episode one guy had seen the previous night. And he says, ’it was a repeat.’ We went off on him.

I watched a lot of shows after they were done. Which was nice because I'm impatient. Plus other people test drove so you knew you wouldn't be disappointed.

Breaking Bad
The Wire
Sons of Anarchy
Mad Men
Schitt's Creek

To name a few, I'm sure there's more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics