Shrader running | Syracusefan.com

Shrader running

GoSU96

Living Legend
What was really encouraging is that his runs were for the most part within the design of the offense as far as I can tell, His two conversions on third and long were obviously “off schedule “ plays, which is great and has to be accounted for by any defense going forward.

What I really liked is what looks like a variation of the RPO. I think they have rules in place that if a lane and void opens up between the tackles he has a green light to take off. Saw that on the TD and a long run in the 1st.

That is going to slow down the rush, keep the DL in lanes and should give him more time to get the ball up field

I don’t remember one zone read , but that is another element that is available to stress a defense.

This offense is going to be fun

What was really encouraging is that his runs were for the most part within the design of the offense as far as I can tell, His two conversions on third and long were obviously “off schedule “ plays, which is great and has to be accounted for by any defense going forward.

What I really liked is what looks like a variation of the RPO. I think they have rules in place that if a lane and void opens up between the tackles he has a green light to take off. Saw that on the TD and a long run in the 1st.

That is going to slow down the rush, keep the DL in lanes and should give him more time to get the ball up field

I don’t remember one zone read , but that is another element that is available to stress a defense.

We provide some challenges for defenses now that make it a lot harder to defend us than it has been in years.

Establishing those passes over the middle and getting it on film is a big deal. We didn't take any long shots that I remember all game long, which is kind of strange. I think it was more that UL was running a lot of cover 3, and didn't do a ton of man coverage. So we were willing to throw underneath it and take out short and intermediate gains with no problem. The big difference this year was that the OL was able to consistently give Garrett time to throw, Garrett was able to make an accurate throw consistently and but for a short period in the second half, our WRs were consistently able to make the catch.

It will be interesting to see if UConn tries some man to get more people in the box or if they will play a soft zone and let us dink our way down the field. I suspect they will play it like UL and hope we have an off day with the passing game.

I will be interested to see if a big play receiver develops. Like Gadsen and Cooper working middle of field. Hope is either Alford or Jones can make some plays down the field. Both had drops on well thrown balls. I like watching how hard receivers are blocking. Johnson has definitely emphasized the importance of finishing your blocks.

We provide some challenges for defenses now that make it a lot harder to defend us than it has been in years.

Establishing those passes over the middle and getting it on film is a big deal. We didn't take any long shots that I remember all game long, which is kind of strange. I think it was more that UL was running a lot of cover 3, and didn't do a ton of man coverage. So we were willing to throw underneath it and take out short and intermediate gains with no problem. The big difference this year was that the OL was able to consistently give Garrett time to throw, Garrett was able to make an accurate throw consistently and but for a short period in the second half, our WRs were consistently able to make the catch.

It will be interesting to see if UConn tries some man to get more people in the box or if they will play a soft zone and let us dink our way down the field. I suspect they will play it like UL and hope we have an off day with the passing game.
I suspect UConn will sell out to try stop the run, and try to pressure GS as much as possible.

I suspect UConn will sell out to try stop the run, and try to pressure GS as much as possible.
He is pretty darn good against the pressure so not so sure on that. Somebody did post a graphic of I think PFF saying Shrader had the best efficiency thus far for QB's while pressured. Not what I would do.

And I'd expect Shrader to quickly "throw" them out of them selling out to stop the run. It will quickly get exposed as a losing approach, because we aren't one dimensional like last year.

Man coverage is dangerous against mobile QBs. Would think we’ll see a lot of zone

And I'd expect Shrader to quickly "throw" them out of them selling out to stop the run. It will quickly get exposed as a losing approach, because we aren't one dimensional like last year.
Right! That’s the hope anyway. What I mean is that I don’t think their game plan going in will be to try to play us straight up.

Agree. We're going to see a lot of zone from most teams due to his ability to run and Tucker... and not wanting people with their backs to the LoS. Lots of 8 in the box.

The 2-3 teams who will try to play us different will be Clemson and ND (out athlete us) and Pitt (who is all Nard-dog stubborn)

Man coverage is dangerous against mobile QBs. Would think we’ll see a lot of zone
They are between a rock and a hard place. Even really talented and experienced defenses are going to have problems covering this offense.

I listened to the UL DC at a presser filmed Monday. It mostly focused on the UCF game they are playing tomorrow night but he talked a bit about the SU game.

He confirmed that UL was surprised by some of the plays run by Syracuse. Said it was a new offense that combined some running plays from the offense SU ran last year and a lot of the passing plays UVa has been running in recent years.

Hoping we can complete a few long passes this game and get that down on tape. Want to force defenses to have to prepare for a wide range of plays. From my perspective, this offense is developing into something unique.

Coach Anae has used an air raid style offense in the past when he had a QB who could throw but wasn't a good runner. When he has a dual threat QB, he had used a lot of option. Kudos to him for changing his scheme based on what he has. But the power run plays (which I think have come from Coach Babers and some from Coach Schmidt) are something new. Defenses have rarely had to worry about RBs running with the ball and doing damage.

We have a unique defense in place already that gives OCs headaches and requires a lot of extra prep to try and attack it well. UL had a whole off season and it didn't help them.

Would love to see our offense evolve into something similarly unique. I think that process is underway right now.

They are between a rock and a hard place. Even really talented and experienced defenses are going to have problems covering this offense.

I listened to the UL DC at a presser filmed Monday. It mostly focused on the UCF game they are playing tomorrow night but he talked a bit about the SU game.

He confirmed that UL was surprised by some of the plays run by Syracuse. Said it was a new offense that combined some running plays from the offense SU ran last year and a lot of the passing plays UVa has been running in recent years.

Hoping we can complete a few long passes this game and get that down on tape. Want to force defenses to have to prepare for a wide range of plays. From my perspective, this offense is developing into something unique.

Coach Anae has used an air raid style offense in the past when he had a QB who could throw but wasn't a good runner. When he has a dual threat QB, he had used a lot of option. Kudos to him for changing his scheme based on what he has. But the power run plays (which I think have come from Coach Babers and some from Coach Schmidt) are something new. Defenses have rarely had to worry about RBs running with the ball and doing damage.

We have a unique defense in place already that gives OCs headaches and requires a lot of extra prep to try and attack it well. UL had a whole off season and it didn't help them.

Would love to see our offense evolve into something similarly unique. I think that process is underway right now.
This is a fun take on what we have developing.

Josh Allen had two or three of those option take off runs. SU should look at adding the late throw option to that play that the Bills have

Question for the defensive X and O guys. What will it do to the defense to have to account for Tucker going in motion or flaring out on a potential swing pass. Do you roll a safety over or try to cover with a LB. Him going in motion versus flaring out on a drop back are defended differently but I'd imagine ultimately it will open up the middle of the field and the seam.

So if you're a DC and now Tucker isn't staying in to pass protect he's swinging out. I imagine this will really stress a D.

Question for the defensive X and O guys. What will it do to the defense to have to account for Tucker going in motion or flaring out on a potential swing pass. Do you roll a safety over or try to cover with a LB. Him going in motion versus flaring out on a drop back are defended differently but I'd imagine ultimately it will open up the middle of the field and the seem.

So if you're a DC now Tucker isn't staying in to pass protect he's swinging out. I imagine this will really stress a D.
Tucker as a passing threat makes things really interesting. I imagine we'll see a lot of RPO in a non-traditional sense, where Shrader's run option is to take a quick scan to pass and take off if he sees open ground. We definitely saw that kind of concept when we went empty backfield.

I beat this drum but i wish the offense had more under center looks for this QB/RB. It allows for a quicker line of scrimmage point of attack for an option style wrinkle. With GS/Tucker they have the firepower to run that on occasion. Hopefully we see this.

I think to Kevin Mason/Malcolm Thomas/Dar Dar in 94. Kevin was a tallish QB but hit those holes quickly in that option play

If he stays healthy, I think Shrader may hit the 1k rushing mark this season.

Got to imagine he is going to have a game.or two where he goes off for like 140-150 yards rushing (hoping tomorrow).
I was thinking this the other day….is it possible we have a QB run for 1,000 yards, a running back run for 1,000 yards and have a running back with 1,000 receiving yards

Poor mans Josh Allen. Josh has a stronger arm and better WR’s but style of play is very similar.
Destitute Josh Allen, perhaps. It was one game, Omaha, we gotta draw the line somewhere with the takes

Going back to last year, he made some Josh Allen like plays against FSU, and Va Tech last year. They both are tall, big, powerful guys that for the size are fast and elusive. Again Apple to Oranges just my take.

No one is josh allen but josh allen but letting shrader be shrader is essential - some of his silliness out there reminds me of how allen is just winging it a lot of the time. this isn't going to be a west coast precision offense and thank god for that. that play where he was like a bull against two bullfighters, it was like he took a second and said ok, it's me against you two, and he just drove through them... It's the kind of stuff that'll make you live with the days where he just doesn't have it throwing. He reminds me of fitzmagic that way. There are just going to be days where he's misfiring

I beat this drum but i wish the offense had more under center looks for this QB/RB. It allows for a quicker line of scrimmage point of attack for an option style wrinkle. With GS/Tucker they have the firepower to run that on occasion. Hopefully we see this.

I think to Kevin Mason/Malcolm Thomas/Dar Dar in 94. Kevin was a tallish QB but hit those holes quickly in that option play
not worth it to lose his vision back there on RPOs and the option to just take off on obvious passing downs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom