Shrader with real weird late game energy | Syracusefan.com

Shrader with real weird late game energy

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Hard to figure Shrader out. I both don't trust him late due to the multiple times he's eaten the ball when that puts us in a bad position, and feel weirdly calm and confident that he'll make the play we need to win because we've seen that multiple times now too.

I guess it works?

Hard to figure Shrader out. I both don't trust him late due to the multiple times he's eaten the ball when that puts us in a bad position, and feel weirdly calm and confident that he'll make the play we need to win because we've seen that multiple times now too.

I guess it works?
Shrader is a gamer but we've also been incredibly lucky which is nice

Shrader is a gamer but we've also been incredibly lucky which is nice
Yeah, we've needed the opponent defense to do dumb things to give us a spark. Last week, it was hitting Shrader out of bounds. Last night, it was a completely unnecessary facemask.

We'd look a lot different without those flags.

Don’t act like Dungey didn’t take maddening sacks. He gets flagged for grounding if he throws some of them away.

Garrett is doing fine considering the drop off in production at running back. Jones loss is huge there isn’t a P5 caliber target after Gadsden on the roster he was it. Peña was having a good came. He stupidly returned a punt you always fair catch. OK mistake fine. Then next kick return he not only makes a worse decision to take it out but jumps and fumbles. Like Alford he probably won’t put it together ever for us. He almost lost us the game our D was good and made them earn everything.

I love Shrader’s leadership, competitiveness and ability to make clutch plays. But last night I really thought his decision making was abysmal, especially down the stretch. He had a free play and ate a sack. That should not happen. Then he ran backwards and took another sack rather than getting rid of the ball. These two plays could have cost us the game winning field goal. He looked great for two games, so-so last week and no so good last night. His performance, our inability to effectively run the football and the defensive injuries have me concerned because I think we are going to have to win some games on offense.

I was wondering when this was going to start…

I don't think its ridiculous. I also assume the staff is having some discussions.

Shrader isn't playing with a bad shoulder this year like he was last year.

He had 2 good runs last night one for the first TD and then the third down after the 2 miserable decisions. I don't remember any other good ones inbetween which makes me think hes hurt. OK game overall. We are back to having 1 great WR and nothing else for targets. Hes not getting the benefit of a great running game.

I probably don't think of making a switch until after NC State but in no way do I let a 40% Schrader keep playing like we did last year when the other options were just as bad because Devito quit. You can't really rest him against Wagner he doesn't want to get Flutie'd if CDRW embarrasses a team that lost 50-7 to Fordham.

I guess it works?
It sounds like it's something you need to work through. :)

Some Syracuse fans just habitually think our #2 QB is always the answer. I hate to break it to some of you but every single college QB has a flaw or flaws that they deal with. Garrett has bettered his game from last year and that's what is important along with wins which he has. Some of you keep thinking we should have the perfect QB... fyi there isn't one.

Some Syracuse fans just habitually think our #2 QB is always the answer. I hate to break it to some of you but every single college QB has a flaw or flaws that they deal with. Garrett has bettered his game from last year and that's what is important along with wins which he has. Some of you keep thinking we should have the perfect QB... fyi there isn't one.
*every fanbase is like this. You don’t think Alabama fans want the backup in when the starter isn’t playing well?

All fanbases think the backup at whatever position (usually QB) is better than #1 when he is struggling/has a bad day. That is until they get what they want.

HCDB proved he will make a change when he believes he has to. Right now, SU is 4-0, it is hard to think a change is necessary. Plus, CDRW is new, if Anae wanted him in, we would see him more. I expect that Anae will get CDRW lots of work on Saturday against Wagner. Anae and Beck are proven qualities when it comes to developing QBs and offenses, if they believed a change was necessary, the discussion would be happening. At 4-0, there is no discussion unless Shrader is injured too severely to play.

Shrader didn’t play great but no way should the backup take his spot over one game
Especially when defenses are doing their part to make his life difficult. Purdue and UVA have legit defenses.

*every fanbase is like this. You don’t think Alabama fans want the backup in when the starter isn’t playing well?
Our starting QB is 4/0, hadn't thrown an int until last night and has been considered by PFF, ACC talking heads and this board as being a really good QB and I don't recall hearing people clamoring for a QB change when Bama almost lost earlier in the year. People just like to bitch. The 2nd coming of Joe Montana isn't coming to Syracuse. Yeah let's fix the time management...yeah continue having Beck break down tape with Garrett. Yeah he does have some things he can get better about but he is the guy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom