Shrader's last year? | Syracusefan.com

Shrader's last year?

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
After attending the game in person, I rewatched the ESPN broadcast last night to see what I missed from attending live.

The on-field reporter talked about a discussion with Shrader and how much pressure there was with this being his last year. Is this new information? He's listed as a Junior and should have one more year of eligibility should he choose to take it. Did I miss something and he's already expressed that he will not be back next year?

I heard that too and that would make more sense that they brought in CDRW as a backup.

After attending the game in person, I rewatched the ESPN broadcast last night to see what I missed from attending live.

The on-field reporter talked about a discussion with Shrader and how much pressure there was with this being his last year. Is this new information? He's listed as a Junior and should have one more year of eligibility should he choose to take it. Did I miss something and he's already expressed that he will not be back next year?

Yeah was a weird comment

He definitely has another year and I would assume he comes back for his senior season, especially if he has a pretty solid season this year.

Unless of course he has an out of this world season and then he probably try’s to take his chances in the NFL

Yeah was a weird comment

He definitely has another year and I would assume he comes back for his senior season, especially if he has a pretty solid season this year.

Unless of course he has an out of this world season and then he probably try’s to take his chances in the NFL
His ceiling is Taysom Hill and that's a 7th round player. My guess is you don't leave to be a 6-7th rounder. He'd be better served building his brand in Syracuse, cook with some NIL cash up in CNY and then see where the draft takes him.

I'd be shocked if he leaves

His ceiling is Taysom Hill and that's a 7th round player. My guess is you don't leave to be a 6-7th rounder. He'd be better served building his brand in Syracuse, cook with some NIL cash up in CNY and then see where the draft takes him.

I'd be shocked if he leaves

Agreed 100%

Out of this world implies winning a natty

I'm as big a GS fan as they come. Called for him to start last year based on his ability to actually lead. The Taysom Hill comparison is where we should stay. The Josh Allen comparison is silly and unfair to GS. Allen is a generational talent type of guy. I know it is hard for for guys to walk away with eligibility left and I would expect him to play next year but I'm pretty sure he is working on his 2nd degree already.

Where”s he going?

I noticed that as well. As far as I know he will be back next season.

2023 Kyoobee room:

Shrader
CDW
Sellers
Lamson

That ain’t too shabby.

I'd be shocked if he leaves.
I hate putting ceilings on anyone or anything. But, to play your game, his ceiling is closer to Josh Allen than Taysom Hill.

I'm as big a GS fan as they come. Called for him to start last year based on his ability to actually lead. The Taysom Hill comparison is where we should stay. The Josh Allen comparison is silly and unfair to GS. Allen is a generational talent type of guy. I know it is hard for for guys to walk away with eligibility left and I would expect him to play next year but I'm pretty sure he is working on his 2nd degree already.
Why Taysom Hill? His skill set is closer to Josh Allen. And why are we putting ceilings on him anyway? This is his first full starting season, ffs.

I noticed that as well. As far as I know he will be back next season.

2023 Kyoobee room:

Shrader
CDW
Sellers
Lamson

That ain’t too shabby.
I’m terms of quality depth next year has to be the best the Qb room has looked in 20 years minimum. Talent wise top to bottom arguably the most talent ever in a Syracuse QB room? (least talent drop-off from 1st string to 4th String)

I’m terms of quality depth next year has to be the best the Qb room has looked in 20 years minimum. Talent wise top to bottom arguably the most talent ever in a Syracuse QB room? (least talent drop-off from 1st string to 4th String)

We're forgetting Capt. Morgan, who has shown 'flashes' during his time playing too.

So - 1 thru 5 looking more than decent in the QB room (assumes Lamson heals up fully).

And having a former 4* like Villari as a "break glass in case of emergency" QB isn't terrible too.

I hate putting ceilings on anyone or anything. But, to play your game, his ceiling is closer to Josh Allen than Taysom Hill.
Josh Allen has a John Elway esque arm.

Shrader has a Taysom Hill like arm.

I'm not sure how the ceiling of an NFL qb is a bad thing. I'm just not prepared to give him the ceiling of a top 5 all time arm. Crazy

Why Taysom Hill? His skill set is closer to Josh Allen. And why are we putting ceilings on him anyway? This is his first full starting season, ffs.
What's wrong with Taysom Hill? He's been a pro qb for several years. GS is more in line with his arm strength and accuracy as of now. I don't see GS making some of the throws on the run or cross field throws with the velocity that Allen can. It isn't a slight.

Shrader will have a degree after this year. He doesn't strike me as a guy that loves the college experience in the traditional sense. It wouldn't shock me at all if we have a great season this year and he chooses to take his degree and move on with life. He's already got a pilot's license, if he keeps going and gets his commercial pilot license, they make around $300k a year. Does he come back as a 23 year old 5th year senior? I hope so, but it wouldn't come as a surprise to me given his personality if he chose to move on.

Twas an odd comment, indeed.

But Shrader is an odd dude.

Who knows?

He's never going to play in the NFL so I don't know why this would be his last year unless he can't wait to enter the workforce.

I sure hope he plays his last year of eligibility next year, really enjoy watching him play. Any possibility of one of the two spring leagues picking him up?

I don't see how he wouldn't play next year. I love Shrader. And he is a competitor who loves to play football and i'm sure he would love to have another successful year at Syracuse after this one. I just don't see how he turns that down even though I'm sure he has other interests in life. No way.

Realistically I doubt he gets much of a shot in the NFL though. Through his QB career he just hasn't shown good enough accuracy on deeper balls. Maybe that changes but I don't think that is all that likely unless he played injured all last year. If that were to change however he certainly should get a shot at the NFL. But he is great for Syracuse now and is really most of what we need in this offense to be successful. He is an amazing leader, who is calm and cool under pressure, can escape the pocket and scramble with the best we've every had. He's just as good as Dungey in this department and is probably even better. Dude is 235 lbs and a speeding bullet with agility in the open field who can avoid and break tackles. He doesn't take shots either. And so far in a much improved passing scheme he is showing he can read the defense and pass accurately on short and intermediate throws. We can have a very successful year with what he brings to the table in this scheme.

I don't see how he wouldn't play next year. I love Shrader. And he is a competitor who loves to play football and i'm sure he would love to have another successful year at Syracuse after this one. I just don't see how he turns that down even though I'm sure he has other interests in life. No way.

Realistically I doubt he gets much of a shot in the NFL though. Through his QB career he just hasn't shown good enough accuracy on deeper balls. Maybe that changes but I don't think that is all that likely unless he played injured all last year. If that were to change however he certainly should get a shot at the NFL. But he is great for Syracuse now and is really most of what we need in this offense to be successful. He is an amazing leader, who is calm and cool under pressure, can escape the pocket and scramble with the best we've every had. He's just as good as Dungey in this department and is probably even better. Dude is 235 lbs and a speeding bullet with agility in the open field who can avoid and break tackles. He doesn't take shots either. And so far in a much improved passing scheme he is showing he can read the defense and pass accurately on short and intermediate throws. We can have a very successful year with what he brings to the table in this scheme.
You can’t really evaluate Shrader based on last year. He did play not at 100% for at least part of the season. He has already shown improved accuracy so far, no reason to think his deep ball can’t get better.

Likely an ESPN reporter that did not do their homework, misread their notes or confused Shrader’s eligibility with someone else.

I think he would get a camp invite who knows what happens from there.

Leaving after this year doesn't make much sense. 2 years improving is passing could get him drafted late as a QB potentially.

Del Rio Wilson and Lamson will have a tough battle for #2 next year with the winner getting 2 years as the starter after that.

Where”s he going?

Yeah -- that was the same reaction I had. If we have an incredible year, and that catapults him into the spotlight, maybe [emphasis on "maybe"] he gets onto the NFL draft radar. He's got the right size and athletic ability.

But I'm expecting that he won't have his draft potential [whatever that ends up being] optimized after this year, and he'll come back for a senior campaign.

Josh Allen has a John Elway esque arm.

Shrader has a Taysom Hill like arm.

I'm not sure how the ceiling of an NFL qb is a bad thing. I'm just not prepared to give him the ceiling of a top 5 all time arm. Crazy
What's crazy is putting any ceiling on a guy with such little experience with real qb coaching. You have no idea what his ceiling is yet. Just 4 days ago you thought he was going to be the same guy we saw the game after getting his ribcage slammed, which by the way, came on a 50 yard heave while getting popped.
What's wrong with Taysom Hill? He's been a pro qb for several years. GS is more in line with his arm strength and accuracy as of now. I don't see GS making some of the throws on the run or cross field throws with the velocity that Allen can. It isn't a slight.
I said his ceiling is closer to Josh Allen than Taysom Hill because I think he can be a much better passer than Hill. I also don't really like comparing him to Hill. He is a completely different runner than Hill, who is faster and much quicker laterally. I guess people picked him because he was coached by Anae and Beck.
While true that TH has been an NFL QB for a while, he wasn't allowed to throw for his first several seasons. He was essentially a wildcat QB and used as a utility player on offense. He's never been their top choice to be QB. He's played out of neccessity due to injuries and whiffs.
GS has more throwing upside than TH, imo. This is his first season as a starting QB with real coaching. Game one was a good start. If thats his best performance of the season, then this talk is all moot. But, let's see how he does over the next several weeks before we stick a ceiling (or any other judgment) on him.

What's crazy is putting any ceiling on a guy with such little experience with real qb coaching. You have no idea what his ceiling is yet. Just 4 days ago you thought he was going to be the same guy we saw the game after getting his ribcage slammed, which by the way, came on a 50 yard heave while getting popped.

I said his ceiling is closer to Josh Allen than Taysom Hill because I think he can be a much better passer than Hill. I also don't really like comparing him to Hill. He is a completely different runner than Hill, who is faster and much quicker laterally. I guess people picked him because he was coached by Anae and Beck.
While true that TH has been an NFL QB for a while, he wasn't allowed to throw for his first several seasons. He was essentially a wildcat QB and used as a utility player on offense. He's never been their top choice to be QB. He's played out of neccessity due to injuries and whiffs.
GS has more throwing upside than TH, imo. This is his first season as a starting QB with real coaching. Game one was a good start. If thats his best performance of the season, then this talk is all moot. But, let's see how he does over the next several weeks before we stick a ceiling (or any other judgment) on him.
It is very accurate to say that we need to see how the season progresses. All of us are operating with a bias towards lasts years perception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom