Shy’s grade | Syracusefan.com

Shy’s grade

Bambrewer

Dad of CWB champion #24
So I have always been up front and honest with the board and told you the good and the bad. That said Shy had his meeting and got his game grade. He scored a 75. This was his lowest grade in a long time. Coach ward said he was ok with that grade given it was shys first real reps in a game. He said he liked his hustle and his aggressiveness. I found it interesting in talking with shy what plays he missed and were downgraded for.
First play was obvious. It was almost instant for the negative board memebers to post “Shy is a terrible linebacker”. We all saw it he got caught biting on the inward stutter step that the back broke to the outside for a long gain. No need to dwell here moving on.
Second play was one where shy got caught up in a block and didn’t get free quickly and it was less obvious as Guthrie was there quick and the damage was minimized.
After that was the play where he hit the quarterback. He lined up correctly and was supposed to plug the gap to his right but noticed a gap that was uncovered and the qb was heading that way so he abandoned his gap and hit the qb at the line. He was telling me after the game he knew this would be a point the coach yelled about. He said he saw the guy and had to make the play. Had he not there would have been a considerable gain. I feel he made the right call.lol.
Then there was another play where he hit the kid throwing the ball that forced the kid to throw the interception. This was another play he said he left his assignment when he saw what was coming and made the play. Again I agree... right decision.
Last one if you were in the dome watching shy as I was you may have seen. Coach ward towards the end of the game was yelling at Shy on the field. The play call came in and shy had a gap responsibility that wasn’t there... they lined up in a way that didn’t fit what was called. You may have seen shy looking around because whit and cordy weren’t where they are supposed to line up for the play call and shy kept signaling different plays trying to figure out why he was lined up where he was and they weren’t set for that play. They wound up making a small gain so not much harm there.
Hopefully they will work this week to correct these issues so Shy will be more comfortable if he gets more time in the future. I was happy to hear coach babers say in today’s press conference that he wants linebackers rotated more. Hopefully he sees shy working hard and contributing and he gets rewarded

i want a player playing when he has his gap covered and that’s what Shy did. What’s the sense of I got my gap covered as I watch the qb run for ten more yds or tackle him for a 1 yd gain leavin my gap. I thought he did good as did Richards. Them 4 need to rotate even though I did feel Guthrie had a great game. He was way more downhill. Whit still kinda waiting until the play comes to him. Drives me nuts but whatever as he is a Sr. Love the kid but not a backer.

sometimes you have to make the play, still the grades are about what happens if everyone is where they are supposed to be. its like in baseball when a guy is out of position and the ball ends up being thrown to where they are standing, you can get rewarded for doing the wrong thing, but sometimes you have to make a play and if 1 guy is out of position and you dont cover for it you get the better grade but lose the battle. i thought he flew to the ball and made plays, great for him

Color me surprised. I would have thought he would have graded out much higher based on the eyeball test, results and the number of tackles he had. Not knowing gap assignments and the like makes it impossible for joe fan to do it properly. He still had a good game imo and it’s all a step in the right direction.

So I have always been up front and honest with the board and told you the good and the bad. That said Shy had his meeting and got his game grade. He scored a 75. This was his lowest grade in a long time. Coach ward said he was ok with that grade given it was shys first real reps in a game. He said he liked his hustle and his aggressiveness. I found it interesting in talking with shy what plays he missed and were downgraded for.
First play was obvious. It was almost instant for the negative board memebers to post “Shy is a terrible linebacker”. We all saw it he got caught biting on the inward stutter step that the back broke to the outside for a long gain. No need to dwell here moving on.
Second play was one where shy got caught up in a block and didn’t get free quickly and it was less obvious as Guthrie was there quick and the damage was minimized.
After that was the play where he hit the quarterback. He lined up correctly and was supposed to plug the gap to his right but noticed a gap that was uncovered and the qb was heading that way so he abandoned his gap and hit the qb at the line. He was telling me after the game he knew this would be a point the coach yelled about. He said he saw the guy and had to make the play. Had he not there would have been a considerable gain. I feel he made the right call.lol.
Then there was another play where he hit the kid throwing the ball that forced the kid to throw the interception. This was another play he said he left his assignment when he saw what was coming and made the play. Again I agree... right decision.
Last one if you were in the dome watching shy as I was you may have seen. Coach ward towards the end of the game was yelling at Shy on the field. The play call came in and shy had a gap responsibility that wasn’t there... they lined up in a way that didn’t fit what was called. You may have seen shy looking around because whit and cordy weren’t where they are supposed to line up for the play call and shy kept signaling different plays trying to figure out why he was lined up where he was and they weren’t set for that play. They wound up making a small gain so not much harm there.
Hopefully they will work this week to correct these issues so Shy will be more comfortable if he gets more time in the future. I was happy to hear coach babers say in today’s press conference that he wants linebackers rotated more. Hopefully he sees shy working hard and contributing and he gets rewarded

I’m not so sure BWardDCord wants us rating him...

It’s funny when I hear the grades. I’m always happy when he gets good grades. It means he is in the right spot for what the coach calls and in theory if everything goes as the play is called it should force the play in the direction they want. I get if he leaves his gap and the qb pitches the ball and the running back hits the hole Shy was supposed to cover it can go for a huge gain. I just wish sometimes it was more of like the movies. Coach turns to shy and says go get me the ball and shy goes crushes the qb or the running back.

I’m also usually more interested in the grade breakdown. Did he line up right did he hustle and did he make the play... I’m sure they all are important I’m just less interested in covered gaps if he hits some one

Whats a really low grade? Some players have had some real stinkers in the past 3 years. At some point do they stop giving a number?

Football coaches crack me up. They think they can control every single little nuance- well if the players all just did their job every single play that guy wouldn’t have busted one for 60 yards and we wouldn’t have given up 72 points.

Players have to adapt to what is happening in front of them not in some idealized world of Xs and Os.

Gap coverage is key in this type of defense. I've mentioned the last few weeks at least, some of the big plays that have happened have been a direct result of players not playing their assignment.

Bambrewer - that's in no way a jab at Shy or you in any way. Just pointing out that the foundation of this defense is playing your gap only and we've seen breakdowns the last few games as a result of not playing those gaps. Clearly people on here who have no idea what any of this really means, they grade whether they like it or not based on one play and not in context of the foundational principals of the defense.

It’s funny when I hear the grades. I’m always happy when he gets good grades. It means he is in the right spot for what the coach calls and in theory if everything goes as the play is called it should force the play in the direction they want. I get if he leaves his gap and the qb pitches the ball and the running back hits the hole Shy was supposed to cover it can go for a huge gain. I just wish sometimes it was more of like the movies. Coach turns to shy and says go get me the ball and shy goes crushes the qb or the running back.
The Replacements all time top ten movie for me

That’s crazy to me a player is downgraded if he leaves his assignment to make a play, the right play. They must take this into consideration no?
I remember once under P a player on the punt team let a guy go by him and the punt got blocked, but he was convincthe fulfilled his assignment.

I wish they would post grades for all the players like that. Eric Dungey gets his stats put in the paper for everyone to see. If Tommy DeVito's are better, we know it. Shouldn't the linemen in front of him be credited or discredited in the same way? We don't know how Shy's 75% compares to the other linebackers. Is it good, bad or mediocre? The write-up shows that the grade stat doesn't really cover his entire performance but what stat does?

I’m also usually more interested in the grade breakdown. Did he line up right did he hustle and did he make the play... I’m sure they all are important I’m just less interested in covered gaps if he hits some one
Coach, I am sorry I came off my gap, but on the bright side, I hit that kid so hard (cleanly) that he asked for his grandma

Please feel free to ignore, as I appreciate all your posting tremendously, but is there any summation of how the score is calculated? I'm genuinely curious and not just for Shy, but for the team. Also, and just stating what may be obvious, but I would assume a 75 for someone that has been getting reps all year versus a 75 for someone that is coming in somewhat cold shouldn't be equal. Also seems odd he'd compliment him on his aggressiveness but ding him for what I'd consider being aggressive (but maybe that's my misinterpretation). I'd love to see these plotted out and cut the data up. I guess that ain't happening though.

Anyway, hope Shy gets some more burn. At the end of the day my feeling is that what we were doing wasn't working and we needed to increase the rotation. Hope it keeps that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom