SI gives SU a B, Rutgers a D for conference moves | Syracusefan.com

SI gives SU a B, Rutgers a D for conference moves

That's the grades the conferences get. For both schools the moves are obviously an A.
The way I read it, "Staples gave Syracuse a "B" for its move from the Big East to the ACC." & "The lowest grade, a "D," was given to Rutgers for joining the Big Ten. "

It also said" "For each move, I've assigned a letter grade that balances the benefit to the school with the benefit the addition of the school provides to the league,"

He gives Syracuse and the ACC because he mistakes Syracuse claim as New York's College Team wuth NYC alone. Too many people forget that upstate NY is the equivalent of a top ten population state, about the same as Jersey. Syracuse locks in Upstate and by far more than Rutgers or Maryland lock in their states.

That's the grades the conferences get. For both schools the moves are obviously an A.

Agreed. Hate Buttgers or love Buttgers, the B1g invite was their lifeline. Impossible to give it anything but an "A" for them. Same for Cuse. The B1g however, got something less than an "A" by snagging Buttgers.

Agreed. Hate Buttgers or love Buttgers, the B1g invite was their lifeline. Impossible to give it anything but an "A" for them. Same for Cuse. The B1g however, got something less than an "A" by snagging Buttgers.

Yeah, an A for Rutgers but a big FAT F for the B1G, that;s how he averages it out to a D.

He gives Syracuse and the ACC because he mistakes Syracuse claim as New York's College Team wuth NYC alone. Too many people forget that upstate NY is the equivalent of a top ten population state, about the same as Jersey. Syracuse locks in Upstate and by far more than Rutgers or Maryland lock in their states.

The commonly perpetuated myth that NY does not exist outside of NYC is pretty bizarre.

As was the ACC's ours... :)

[ It also said" "For each move, I've assigned a letter grade that balances the benefit to the school with the benefit the addition of the school provides to the league,"[/quote]

I think it would have made more sense to give two grades for each - One for how it benefits the school and one for how it benefits the conference

[ It also said" "For each move, I've assigned a letter grade that balances the benefit to the school with the benefit the addition of the school provides to the league,"

I think it would have made more sense to give two grades for each - One for how it benefits the school and one for how it benefits the conference[/quote]

I agree - this rating system seems stupid...

no_idea_dog.jpg

Yeah, an A for Rutgers but a big FAT F for the B1G, that;s how he averages it out to a D.
But an A for Rutgers averaged with an F for the B1g would average out to a C. So you'd need more like an F-Double Minus level of impact on the conference to get the D grade that was assigned.

On the other hand...

An easy A for Syracuse averaged with a C for the ACC (which means no real effect -- i.e., we fit right in there) = the B that we got. I'm fine with that.

He also is only taking Football into account. So if he actually took all sports into account, of course SU would get an A. Maybe even an A+ because of BBall and Lacrosse.

I hate Rutgers as much as the next guy, but it really is a win for everyone involved.

1. Rutgers never needs to win another game. More wins for Neb/PSU/Mich/OSU is all that matters.

2. Good recruiting state to add to the B10 map.

3. Moving away from being a Midwest conference to a Midwest/NE conference.

4. Close games for all the many B10 NYC alums to attend.

Rutgers is just a very B10-like university, in a state with a ton of people. Makes perfect sense. Just doesn't help with the SEC dominance at all, obviously.

The commonly perpetuated myth that NY does not exist outside of NYC is pretty bizarre.

Thats because people are forcefed NYC this, NYC that, by the media. A woman I used to work with made sure to tell me that she was from western NYS. Another emphasised that he was from upstate NY. And, BOTH of them said, 'NYS is not just made up of NYC.'

It never ceases to amaze me how the ACC's detractors think adding SU was simply just for NYC. NY State has what, close to 20M population? Thats a whole lot of TV sets statewide. And IIRC, SU is the lone school in the entire state playing at the highest level of competition.

Thats because people are forcefed NYC this, NYC that, by the media. A woman I used to work with made sure to tell me that she was from western NYS. Another emphasised that he was from upstate NY. And, BOTH of them said, 'NYS is not just made up of NYC.'

It never ceases to amaze me how the ACC's detractors think adding SU was simply just for NYC. NY State has what, close to 20M population? Thats a whole lot of TV sets statewide. And IIRC, SU is the lone school in the entire state playing at the highest level of competition.

Actually the reason that SU brings value to the ACC is that SU is a nationally credible brand. The fact that its is the preferred brand of Upstate and Western NY is just a bonus.

Ya I'm originally from Mexico, NY. And I ALWAYS have to explain I don't live in NYC. And I ALWAYS have to explain why I have never been there. It's getting annoying.

Ya I'm originally from Mexico, NY. And I ALWAYS have to explain I don't live in NYC. And I ALWAYS have to explain why I have never been there. It's getting annoying.
Yeah, I love the look on faces when you say you are from NY and they immediately think you are from NYC...then you correct them and say you are e.g. 5 hours drive from NYC.

But an A for Rutgers averaged with an F for the B1g would average out to a C. So you'd need more like an F-Double Minus level of impact on the conference to get the D grade that was assigned.

On the other hand...

An easy A for Syracuse averaged with a C for the ACC (which means no real effect -- i.e., we fit right in there) = the B that we got. I'm fine with that.

I figure Rutgers 100% + B1G 30% = combined 65% or D

Actually the reason that SU brings value to the ACC is that SU is a nationally credible brand.

Of course, SU is a nationally credible brand. SU fans know this, and, ACC folks know this.

It just makes me LOL that some folks, ACC detractors especially, forget that NYS is way more than just NYC.

Of course, SU is a nationally credible brand. SU fans know this, and, ACC folks know this.

It just makes me LOL that some folks, ACC detractors especially, forget that NYS is way more than just NYC.

They know what they are doing when they try to pigeon hole NY into being just NYC. Its just a game of "spin".

SU is in the ACC for many of the same reasons that Nebraska is in the B1G. The decision had little to do with the size of the local TV audience and everything to do with the National TV audience.

Any SU fan who isn't thrilled with SU being in the ACC ought to have his or her head examined. I also can't understand this stupid conversation with a couple of Clemson fans using a bowl game from the McNabb era as a supporting claim.

Every SU fan ought to have a 3x5 card in their pocket that they can pull out and read anytime they meet or talk with any current ACC fan. It should read:

"Thanks for inviting us into your conference. We are thrilled to be playing you all. We'll try and restrain the idiots among us for at least a few years. After all, you guys threw us a life jacket when we needed it. We could easily be in Connecticut's current position without the ACC invitation.

We have a proud athletic history and tradition. We sincerely hope we can continue that and that we can make the ACC proud to have us as a member.

Even though some among us bemoan the death of the original Big East Basketball Conference and the really old guys long for the return of the Major Eastern Independents, we know the ACC is the best place us. We can compete against schools of similar size and similar resources. And there are only a few academic "have nots" and we understand how they got there"

A little humility goes a long way in building relationships. We are the new guys here. We can start shooting our mouths off --- if you can't restrain yourself and absolutely must --- after we actually accomplish something. As of right now we haven't won a single ACC game in any sport.

They know what they are doing when they try to pigeon hole NY into being just NYC. Its just a game of "spin".

SU is in the ACC for many of the same reasons that Nebraska is in the B1G. The decision had little to do with the size of the local TV audience and everything to do with the National TV audience.

Any SU fan who isn't thrilled with SU being in the ACC ought to have his or her head examined. I also can't understand this stupid conversation with a couple of Clemson fans using a bowl game from the McNabb era as a supporting claim.

Every SU fan ought to have a 3x5 card in their pocket that they can pull out and read anytime they meet or talk with any current ACC fan. It should read:

"Thanks for inviting us into your conference. We are thrilled to be playing you all. We'll try and restraint the idiots among us for at least a few years. After all, you guys threw us a life jacket when we needed it. We could easily be in Connecticut's current position without the ACC invitation.

We have a proud athletic history and tradition. We sincerely hope we can continue that and that we can make the ACC proud to have us as a member.

Even though some among us bemoan the death of the original Big East Basketball Conference and the really old guys long for the return of the Major Eastern Independents, we know the ACC is the best place us. We can compete against schools of similar size and similar resources. And there are only a few academic "have nots" and we understand how they got there"

A little humility goes a long way in building relationships. We are the new guys here. We can start shooting our mouths of --- if you can't restrain yourself and absolutely must --- after we actually accomplish something. As of right now we haven't won a single ACC game in any sport.

Outstanding post. And we, as your new ACC brethren, should restrain our own selves from reminding you that you're the 'new guys.' You are part of the family now, and, as such, should be treated like family.

Here is hoping to a very long, and, very prosperous, future as the new ACC.

Yeah, I love the look on faces when you say you are from NY and they immediately think you are from NYC...then you correct them and say you are e.g. 5 hours drive from NYC.

Yup, and that 5 hours is only CENTRAL ny. CENTRAL! I actually love seeing the faces on people when I tell them they are still 5-6 hours away from NYC. I work at a gas station on the thru-way. Those faces are priceless sometimes.

If I had a dime for every time I've had this conversation SU would have had their new IPF three years ago, on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom