Sickening loss... | Syracusefan.com

Sickening loss...

...and a huge missed opportunity for a team that desperately needs to pad it's NCAA resume.

Still need to get 2-3 more wins.

I echo your sentiments with the closing lines from Office Space, at the construction site.

...and a huge missed opportunity for a team that desperately needs to pad it's NCAA resume.

Still need to get 2-3 more wins.

That's where I am at.

To somehow have the ball, tied up, with a chance to win at the end of the 2H... you just have to get a look at the hoop.

We needed to end it there and steal it. Really a bummer.

That's where I am at.

To somehow have the ball, tied up, with a chance to win at the end of the 2H... you just have to get a look at the hoop.

We actually had the ball with a chance for the win at the end of regulation and OT. Just a complete whiff. Pitino gift-wrapped this one and JB said, "thanks but I'll pass."

There seemed like too much time remaining also on the clock when Gillon shot it. White too on that way too tough 3 airball with a guy in his face. We need to practice these things more. Yes it worked at Clemson but that was all on Lydon. Seemed like JB expected Lydon to make the shot or be fouled in that situation. Like Battle was never even a potential option.

We actually had the ball with a chance for the win at the end of regulation and OT. Just a complete whiff. Pitino gift-wrapped this one and JB said, "thanks but I'll pass."

I'd say the gift wrapping and passing had more to do with the players than the coaches. Pitino didn't choke at the FT Line, and Boeheim didn't lose the ball and jack up an off balance 35 footer with tons of time left.

That's where I am at.

That really crushed me too. I thought we still had a chance at home in overtime, but that was just too good of an opportunity to come up empty.

I actually liked the fight they showed last night to claw back in it. Getting crushed on the boards and a cold shooting night for White is what ultimately doomed the Cuse.

Agree, I love the heart and no give up mentality this team is showing lately. A stark contrast to the St John's game when I was sick to my stomach watching the 2nd half.

That's where I am at.

Im with you, to me the golden opp was at end of reg.

But then you think: we have momentum going into OT, we have home crowd, arguably their best player Mitchell out. ...

This team is tough to figure out but then again so was last years team, etc. just hope they can keep improving going forward. Like last years team eventually did. Go Cuse!

Agree, I love the heart and no give up mentality this team is showing lately. A stark contrast to the St John's game when I was sick to my stomach watching the 2nd half.

It's great that they aren't giving up (especially since I thought after the BC game that they had totally given up), but at this point, showing heart isn't enough. They need W's, and I'm not sure there will be enough of them this late in the season to get us where we need to be. That Pitt loss was killer, and I can't believe there were people here trying to downplay it.

I thought Gillon hitting a 3 to tie it up in regulation was the best moment of the game. But our team sure made a lot of mistakes in this game.

The 5 day rest is really good. This team really needs a break. I just hope they do not come out flat.

It's great that they aren't giving up (especially since I thought after the BC game that they had totally given up), but at this point, showing heart isn't enough. They need W's, and I'm not sure there will be enough of them this late in the season to get us where we need to be. That Pitt loss was killer, and I can't believe there were people here trying to downplay it.

Totally agree. It's not enough at this point but makes watching more tolerable for me at least.

I actually liked the fight they showed last night to claw back in it. Getting crushed on the boards and a cold shooting night for White is what ultimately doomed the Cuse.
This was a tough one.
The Orange botched so many opportunities with turnovers, fumbles, stumbles and mistakes.
It's the kind of game that leaves you feeling really empty.

But they still had a chance to win after getting soundly beaten in most aspects.
One thing you have to say about this team...they do NOT quit.
As long as there's time on the clock they have a shot.
And we're not done yet.

GO ORANGE!

That last play at the end of regulation was terrible. Let's give the ball to Michael Jordan and let him drive 40 feet to the hoop through the entire defense. Oh wait, it's Gillon. A well designed play has options if the first option is covered. Gillon never looked to pass off. It was a head down drive all the way...from a guy that rarely finishes and was seemingly just trying to draw a foul call. Bad.

I think i'd rather be punched in the face every day than have to watch defenders slide over and take charges when the offensive player either has the ball or has given it up. That. Is. Not. Basketball.

I think i'd rather be punched in the face every day than have to watch defenders slide over and take charges when the offensive player either has the ball or has given it up. That. Is. Not. Basketball.
I agree with you more or less, know what youre trying to say. But heres the problem- you HAVE to stay in front of the ball handler. If you cant do that every single possession would end up in a layup. The only way to stay in front of a guy is to constantly move your feet, which sometimes/often times includes sliding. Its all about having proper position. When guys are moving really fast its just really difficult to determine who has the proper positioning. Especially when they change the rules every other year. Bottom line, defenders have to have a way to stay in front of the ball handler. If you dont have a charge call it would be impossible to stay in front of your guy (and in between basket) at all times. Imo the charge call has to exist for defenders to have any chance, im just not convinced they have properly defined a charge call and or call it properly

Forget all the rest. Tied game. You have the ball with 16.3 left on the clock. Even got a TO at 9.3 to boost our chances. We should have won.

Game was lost twice in my mind. Obviously tied with the ball with 16 some seconds you have to get a shot off there. If we miss we miss but to not even get a good look, awful. Second and what's gone over looked as SU comes out and immediately gets a 3pt play in OT and can really put some pressure on Lville and we let that 5 foot nothing walk on who looks like he came straight from a highschool game bury a wide open 3 to tie it. SU gets a stop there and another bucket to go up 5 the pressure is all on Lville. This was a game that was there for the taking and we failed, very disappointing.

And I thought I was a masochist for coming on here as "often" as I have this season. You clearly take your hoops masochism to a new level.

And I thought I was a masochist for coming on here as "often" as I have this season. You clearly take your hoops masochism to a new level.

Haha I just HATE that move

Game was lost twice in my mind. Obviously tied with the ball with 16 some seconds you have to get a shot off there. If we miss we miss but to not even get a good look, awful. Second and what's gone over looked as SU comes out and immediately gets a 3pt play in OT and can really put some pressure on Lville and we let that 5 foot nothing walk on who looks like he came straight from a highschool game bury a wide open 3 to tie it. SU gets a stop there and another bucket to go up 5 the pressure is all on Lville. This was a game that was there for the taking and we failed, very disappointing.

Good points. We should have gotten a shot at the end of regulation. Gillon screwed up. But then it was Gillon's amazing 3 that got us there.

For the second game in row, Lydon had a fatal TO at the end. That is what cost us both games.

We get another crack at Louisville in a little over a week. This time we need to win to make the tournament.

Good points. We should have gotten a shot at the end of regulation. Gillon screwed up. But then it was Gillon's amazing 3 that got us there.

For the second game in row, Lydon had a fatal TO at the end. That is what cost us both games.

We get another crack at Louisville in a little over a week. This time we need to win to make the tournament.

No way Don Pitino is going to allow them to play so sloppy and lethargic at the Yum like they did last night. Us? Well, it's going to take a Herculean effort then some. Chances are they will make more than 8 threes and shoot better from the free throw line also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom