Since 2020 we are 4-16 in our 20 games against AP top 25 teams. | Syracusefan.com

Since 2020 we are 4-16 in our 20 games against AP top 25 teams.

SUMJF

Walk On
Those wins.
2021 NCAA tournament against San Diego State first round
2021 NCAA tournament against West Virginia second round.
2021 January 23rd at home against #16 Virginia Tech
2020 January 11th at #18 Virginia.

We haven’t been ranked one week in the last 4 years.

4-16 against ranked teams.

65-48 overall the last 4 years.

61-32 against unranked teams

When does John Wildhack want something to change? Not necessarily a HC change but asking for changes in how things are done.

When does John Wildhack want something to change? Not necessarily a HC change but asking for changes in how things are done.
asking JB to make changes won’t fly. He’ll either tell JW to fire him or stay out of the way.

asking JB to make changes won’t fly. He’ll either tell JW to fire him or stay out of the way.
Then fire him. Can’t get worse. Program is tanking. Yesterday was truly winnable had it not been for the man on the sidelines. Switching from 2-3 to 1-3-1 to try and combat the 3s was a hilariously bad tactic. He just doesn’t understand the modern game.

Those wins.

That's what a mediocre team does.
They might beat you if they have a great day

Those wins.

geez i had no idea it was this bad. We really have tanked.

The fear and awe is no more. We used to win a significant number of games when we took off our warmups, and the other team saw the name on the front of the jersey. That may not come back overnight.

this-is-fine-its-fine.gif

Three years ago, I didn't want to hear this.

Two years ago, I started paying attention to the long term trend a little more closely, but wanted to believe that all we needed was for some better offense to turn things around quick.

During last year's debacle, I accepted what both the data and the educated eye test were telling us, but was told I had a "narrative" by a poster who was more comfortable burying their head in the sand to avoid facing the truth.

There isn't a bigger SU basketball fan on the forum than me. It is my main sports passion -- always has been, always will be. But once you step back and look at the macro data objectively, you can't pretend that the decline isn't massive.

We should absolutely stop playing ranked teams.

The ACC is a tire fire this year, so your wish may be granted soon enough!

#goacc.

this-is-fine-its-fine.gif

Three years ago, I didn't want to hear this.

Two years ago, I started paying attention to the long term trend a little more closely, but wanted to believe that all we needed was for some better offense to turn things around quick.

During last year's debacle, I accepted what both the data and the educated eye test were telling us, but was told I had a "narrative" by a poster who was more comfortable burying their head in the sand to avoid facing the truth.

There isn't a bigger SU basketball fan on the forum than me. It is my main sports passion -- always has been, always will be. But once you step back and look at the macro data objectively, you can't pretend that the decline isn't massive.

Talent deficiency has been part of it, as has keeping top talent that is developed but the worst of it is the inability to adjust to the fact 80 pct of our opponents have one or two good 3pt shooters and even the poor shooters can make open ones at a reasonable clip. It's been ground hog day for a while now. Hoping for misses instead of the defense forcing tough shots and misses. You can't win that way and thus you can't win leaning on a half court version of the zone with no variation in defenses. You have to have the ability to matchup and then also rebound.

We have seen the zone matchup better in a few games but that's not consistent nor can it be with many matchups.

To be fair the win against San Diego State was aided by the zone.
San Diego State couldn’t throw it in the ocean that day because of the zone.
Buddy Boeheim won the West Virginia game going off.
Virginia Tech was a Dome game where the crowd and team just overwhelmed them.
The win at Virginia was a game neither team could make a shot and Buddy got hot in OT.

When we play ranked teams it seems like we get overwhelmed nowadays.
I can’t remember the last big game in the Dome? The UNC game in January 2016? I believe big games at the Dome used to be multiple per year. We are just so average now and Coach won’t change.
Wildhack is the guy that gets my frustration. You are in charge do something.

I know it's been posted that Jim is going to hang on another year but maybe he exits if things don't turn around. Next year would be a nice transition year for one of his guys. Expectations would be low and then hopefully a good 24. Or now that we are in the NIL game Jim decides to stick around for another 5 years or so which I'm fine with as long as he doesn't have to recruit. Only Jim knows.

The last win of any significance against a ranked team in the dome was beating Duke on Gillons buzzer beater in 2017 and that team was a disappointment both before and after that game. SIX years ago!

The lack of wins over ranked teams is part one of the equation... the other is the string of bad non conference losses that have piled up to go with.

We're actually doing the opposite of the FB program (other than the massive success for a long period of time to start) and we're being coached by Shafer right now and heading towards Robinson. Although Weitsman seems to be helping to prevent that and it's easier to turn things around in BB. But I've lost almost all interest in BB the last few years. Except for the 7 minutes a game where we make shots, every offensive series feels like we're playing against 7 - 8 defenders. It's been feeling like that for awhile now. Just my feeling trying to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom