Since the '87 loss to Indiana... | Syracusefan.com

Since the '87 loss to Indiana...

elkeed

Scout Team
I believe we have blown them out at least 5 times. Can anyone confirm?

Including last year's win in the NCAA's, we are 4-1 against Indiana.

Including last year's win in the NCAA's, we are 4-1 against Indiana.
I don't recall a loss. We crushed them in MSG during the Sherman Douglass hike pass game. Dominated them in Maui twice and last year in the NCAA tourney.

I don't recall a loss. We crushed them in MSG during the Sherman Douglass hike pass game. Dominated them in Maui twice and last year in the NCAA tourney.
4-1 is all-time. I try to block out the loss, too. ;)

ill trade all the wins post 87 for one missed corner jumper.
Agreed. The only problem with this is that we would have then not made the FF last year, but SU lost anyway, and 1987 would have meant the NC. So, agreed.

No matter how many times SU beats IU, can there ever be full redemption, short of beating them in the FF or NC game?

I will never forget where I was or what I was doing in that 87 game. Still rubs a sore spot.

What's weird is that we were the 2 seed...but watching the game...we had much more talent. It was not even close. I really wish it would have been a syracuse unlv final

What's weird is that we were the 2 seed...but watching the game...we had much more talent. It was not even close. I really wish it would have been a syracuse unlv final

I will never forget the plane ride back from '87. We were connecting in DFW and on the little tram ride there's an obnoxious IU fan (I know, redundant) opposite, discussing the game with a passenger. I am not wearing anything obviously orange, just eavesdropping while he says the real championship was won on Saturday when they beat UNLV. Monday just a formality, he says. I piped up "Oh really, weren't you down three in the last minute, with Syracuse on the foul line?" Can't beat those A$$hats enough. Their stay in the Mike Davis-era wilderness did not cure the arrogance.

I freaking hate Indiana more than anyone else in college hoops. And I will continue to despise them until we beat them for a NC. Short that, I just want to kick their lily white asses back to Bloomington.

I will never forget the plane ride back from '87. We were connecting in DFW and on the little tram ride there's an obnoxious IU fan (I know, redundant) opposite, discussing the game with a passenger. I am not wearing anything obviously orange, just eavesdropping while he says the real championship was won on Saturday when they beat UNLV. Monday just a formality, he says. I piped up "Oh really, weren't you down three in the last minute, with Syracuse on the foul line?" Can't beat those A$$hats enough. Their stay in the Mike Davis-era wilderness did not cure the arrogance.
Kentucky fans in 96 were of the same opinion . . . felt their semi-final game against UMass was the "real" title game; the two had been 1-2 in the polls since December

The first win over iu in Maui was actually a tight game. Iu could have tied with a three on their last possession.

Or Greg Monroe dishing for any easy 2 on a 3 on 1 fast break instead of pulling up for a bricked 3 when we were ahead 52-44

Funny you should mention this. There are certain games where it seems one simple play, often early in the game, changes the entire flow of the game , and ultimately the result.

Example...

the game vs Illinois to determine who goes to the final four. we were putting a whooping on them in the first half...over double digits...there is an alley oop pass and I think ownes missed an easy dunk... game over.

The first win over iu in Maui was actually a tight game. Iu could have tied with a three on their last possession.
I believe we had a dominating double digit lead in that game and we brought it home on cruise control. Whats unique is we came out in a 1/3/1 zone on the final out of bounds play with 15ish or so seconds left. If my memory serves me correctly.

Funny you should mention this. There are certain games where it seems one simple play, often early in the game, changes the entire flow of the game , and ultimately the result.

Example...

the game vs Illinois to determine who goes to the final four. we were putting a whooping on them in the first half...over double digits...there is an alley oop pass and I think ownes missed an easy dunk... game over.

Another favorite of mine is the 2003 title game against KU. Duany hits a three to put us up 48-29. KU calls time, and instead of acting like this is how it should go, Duany goes berserk, highstepping and waving his arms like crazy, like it's over. Right then I shook my head and said to myself that this is going down to the last possession.

At the time we didn't "really" know we had more talent. Coleman was just a freshman, albeit a good one, but was still a frosh by 1986 standards. Sherm was only a year removed from being a mopup player. Seikaly was all over being a stiff, but we wanted to see more of it before we were truly sure. Brower WAS a stiff , whom apparently someone waved a magic wand over late in the year, and he became a beast. Alford by himself had more press that our entire starting lineup.,

At the time we didn't "really" know we had more talent. Coleman was just a freshman, albeit a good one, but was still a frosh by 1986 standards. Sherm was only a year removed from being a mopup player. Seikaly was all over being a stiff, but we wanted to see more of it before we were truly sure. Brower WAS a stiff , whom apparently someone waved a magic wand over late in the year, and he became a beast. Alford by himself had more press that our entire starting lineup.,

I had to LOL when you mentioned Brower being a stiff. The word seems fitting. He's also the Orangeman who that season managed to beat both Stevie Thompson AND Herman Harried for the lowest free throw percentage on that team. That's not an easy task. Regardless, he played his part in helping form a legendary team that also knocked out #1 seeded UNC during that run

I believe we had a dominating double digit lead in that game and we brought it home on cruise control. Whats unique is we came out in a 1/3/1 zone on the final out of bounds play with 15ish or so seconds left. If my memory serves me correctly.
Yes, it does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom