SI's Staples on Swofford | Syracusefan.com

SI's Staples on Swofford

When things were looking darkest last May and when Maryland announced it was leaving, I kept thinking to myself (and may have posted it here once or twice) that John Swofford is not Mike Tranghese or John Marinatto and that he simply would not allow his conference to be picked apart. I'm not sure how much of that was actual belief versus hope, but it's pretty clear that he's the kind of person you want on your side when your back is against the wall.

I never didn't have faith in Swofford keeping the ACC intact and making it stronger. The man is cunning and a big picture guy. Never worried.

I never didn't have faith in Swofford keeping the ACC intact and making it stronger. The man is cunning and a big picture guy. Never worried.

I think that if/when Notre Dame comes into the ACC fully that #16 will be a homerun that shocks the college sports world. Texas, Penn State or Oklahoma.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I think that if/when Notre Dame comes into the ACC fully that #16 will be a homerun that shocks the college sports world. Texas, Penn State or Oklahoma.

I agree with this. As long as ND holds out, theres no need to go beyond 14 teams. We can be patient. And, we'll be rewarded for that patience.

Knowing that UNC and UVA were 100 percent invested in the ACC's future made it easy to not worry. I doubt that either Tech or FSU would've made the jump to the Big 10 without them as travel partners. And, FSU/Clemson to the Big 12 was a pipe dream.

Texas LHN could just be folded over into the ACC network, winning situation for ACC, ESPN, and Texas.

Could be tough prying Oklahoma away from the B1G

I agree with this. As long as ND holds out, theres no need to go beyond 14 teams. We can be patient. And, we'll be rewarded for that patience.

You think so? It would be interesting. I've always hoped for Penn State personally. Texas would be good for obvious reasons financially. I don't like the geography as much though. Oklahoma would be a fish out of water in the ACC unless the ACC adds others and goes to 20.

But you are correct if they are in the cards, they would be worth the wait.

PSU is not going to jump to the ACC. But wouldn't it be funny if they did' leaving the Terps and Buttgers out on an island.

You think so? It would be interesting.

Yes, I do. We are sitting in a pretty good spot. We have the entire east coast covered. Theres no need to add anybody that isn't a home run. Plus, I don't see 14 teams as an awkward number. We will make it work, and, I think most everyone will be happy.

I've always hoped for Penn State personally. Texas would be good for obvious reasons financially. I don't like the geography as much though. Oklahoma would be a fish out of water in the ACC unless the ACC adds others and goes to 20.

I wish the ACC had possessed the foresight to add FSU and PSU in the late '80s. That would've been a high quality 10-team league in nearly every sport.

PSU and Texas are the only two left that'd be worth inviting, if ND ever went all-in. Nobody else moves the needle enough nationally. Oklahoma would not get an invite without Texas coming along.

But you are correct if they are in the cards, they would be worth the wait.

Yep. No need to settle, especially at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom