Size Matters | Syracusefan.com

Size Matters

SWC75

Bored Historian
I think a stadium with a capacity of what we have is fine, we can't fill 50,000 now why would you want more.

Because We Can Draw More Than 50,000

Last edited:
I bet Syracuse has fewer people in its metro area than most other major D1 programs. Am a little surprised I haven't seen anyone make that argument. I think the attendance numbers are pretty remarkable for SU but maybe I am thinking there are less people within an hour of the stadium than there actually are. Any way of knowing that?

What makes it more attractive to get people to drive an hour+ to a football game? I'm all for the 44K because it might just be the thing that makes people go. Why? Because if you can't get a seat you now will want one. People want something they can't have. But...build it so you can expand.

I bet Syracuse has fewer people in its metro area than most other major D1 programs. Am a little surprised I haven't seen anyone make that argument. I think the attendance numbers are pretty remarkable for SU but maybe I am thinking there are less people within an hour of the stadium than there actually are. Any way of knowing that?

Well, there's Notre Dame, Virginia, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech, Penn State, Purdue, Florida State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Alabama, Indiana, Iowa and Illinois to name a few.

As for how many people live within an hour of The Hill? You can pull out your compass and draw a circle around the area 60 miles from Syracuse. You have about one million people within the circle.

Well, there's Notre Dame, Virginia, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech, Penn State, Purdue, Florida State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Alabama, Indiana, Iowa and Illinois to name a few.

As for how many people live within an hour of The Hill? You can pull out your compass and draw a circle around the area 60 miles from Syracuse. You have about one million people within the circle.

970,000 of them raking leaves on any given Saturday in the Fall.

I doubt that that's right.

this is a REALLY good arguing point. maybe we should hold off on the new stadium until we see how many fans we draw when we return to being a top 25 team. if were not close to selling out games then, then there is no reason to expand.

honestly, i dont think the number of fans matter. with 50k in the dome, the place rocks. i think thats every bit as good as 100k in the big house. im sure others will disagree.

I think a new stadium itself will attract some fair weather just to check it out. If they get there and see a good product they may consider returning. Not sure we need anything over 50k though since supply would keep anyone from feeling the need to buy tickets early.

When a new stadium is built -- whenever that may be -- no matter how many it seats, 50% of the people here will be dissatisfied. No matter where it is built, 50% of the people here will bitch. No matter how easy it is to get to and to park, 50% of the people will complain. Win games, and those 50% folks will decrease.

When a new stadium is built -- whenever that may be -- no matter how many it seats, 50% of the people here will be dissatisfied. No matter where it is built, 50% of the people here will bitch. No matter how easy it is to get to and to park, 50% of the people will complain. Win games, and those 50% folks will decrease.

Let's win games and then decide how big our next stadium should be.