Slayton Replacement | Syracusefan.com

Slayton Replacement

AAM62

All Conference
I think its safe to say that, barring injury, he's going into the draft. I'm concerned at the lack of big DT targets out there. Here's to hoping we can pull out a good JUCO or transfer target.

He's been great so far this year. However, its a very deep pool in 2018 for dlinemen. He's going to need to blow up the ACC before i'd worry about him leaving early. He's easily my favorite player though.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he goes in the draft this year.

That being said, I have zero concerns about recruiting with this staff. They'll get whatever they have to get done. And I haven't felt that way since probably 1999/2000 with P's staff before our recruiting really took a nosedive.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he goes in the draft this year.

That being said, I have zero concerns about recruiting with this staff. They'll get whatever they have to get done. And I haven't felt that way since probably 1999/2000 with P's staff before our recruiting really took a nosedive.
But I dont think we have any DT's in the '18 class, right? Two 4-star OL, 2 RB's, 3 WRs ...and not a moment too soon. But we've also lost 2-3 guys this year off the DL and we'll need to replace them, along with Slayton if he jumps. Even more acute is our secondary situation. Yes, it's deeper than last year but we're still having coverage issues with better receivers (which is all we're going to see from here on out). I feel like our corners and safeties are an iso away from a TD in every game we play . Here's ur list:

Class of 2018 - Recruits and Offers

Last edited:
I just dont think its a deep DT recruiting class this year, which is problematic.

JUCO or 5th-year transfer.

Also, I think they're already grooming McKinley Williams to be the next disruptive force in the middle. If Black can gain 25-30 lbs., he could be a very good option too.

I just dont think its a deep DT recruiting class this year, which is problematic.
I bet they grab another JUCO or two...it makes sense until his guys grow up. Interesting we had some "recruiting over" on the defense last class with transfers and JUCOs and some of Shaf's guys are not playing but the defense is much improved to this point (despite injuries).

I'd be shocked if he goes, unless he blows up more, this years draft class is loaded with top end DL talent.

But I dont think we have any DT's in the '18 class, right? Two 4-star OL, 2 RB's, 3 WRs ...and not a moment too soon. But we've also lost 2-3 guys this year off the DL and we'll need to replace them, along with Slayton if he jumps. Even more acute is our secondary situation. Yes, it's deeper than last year but we're still having coverage issues with better receivers (which is all we're going to see from here on out). I feel like our corners and safeties are an iso away from a TD in every game we play . Here's ur list:

Class of 2018 - Recruits and Offers

I made the list, I know what's on it ;)

I think recruiting at this point is one area where we don't have to have belief without faith. They'll get it done.

I made the list, I know what's on it ;)

I think recruiting at this point is one area where we don't have to have belief without faith. They'll get it done.
I realize that lol. That's why I linked it -- to give you credit. Thing is, your list was posted back in February. So I wondered if anything's changed. Either way, I agree that this staff has the recruiting chops to get it done.

Add: here's the current list per cuselegacy:

Syracuse University Football Commits | Syracusefan.com

Last edited:
Hopefully Curtis Harper has been eating his Wheaties.

Yah I just noticed that. It goes to current roster instead of 2018 recruits.
The easiest way to see all the players offered in one class is to click on the year prefix. Then all offerees in that class, say 2018, will be displayed...for however many pages.

And I'm a little behind in my housekeeping duties... need to update commitment status.

Wow, I thought he was a senior using his 4th year of eligibility. Between learning this, and Judge's 50th HR, I feel like today might be Christmas.
I expect Slayton to play his senior year. He will be our best defensive player since Chandler Jones I believe.

The easiest way to see all the players offered in one class is to click on the year prefix. Then all offerees in that class, say 2018, will be displayed...for however many pages.

And I'm a little behind in my housekeeping duties... need to update commitment status.
I did that. And it's great .. really helpful. The only problem is .. it doesn't link well. When I click on the 2018 year and copy the URL, it links to the current roster for some reason (2017).

I did that. And it's great .. really helpful. The only problem is .. it doesn't link well. When I click on the 2018 year and copy the URL, it links to the current roster for some reason (2017).
That's to keep all my hard labor here. ;)

Why is it safe to say he's going to the draft?
Past experience tells me that kids dont like to stay a 5th year in cuse unless they have to. Slayton does have some good film.

Past experience tells me that kids dont like to stay a 5th year in cuse unless they have to. Slayton does have some good film.

Not with this coach.

Not with this coach.
Man do i hope youre right. Our defense goes from "improving" to "formidable" if slayton's back with a healthy samuels and williams. A lot of young talent in our back field and some promising talent grooming at linebacker.

I think Slayton stays. If he does, we get everyone on the interior back next year. Very good for us.

Kayton Samuels has improved tremendously. He had a really impressive showing against LSU. Not getting the recognition, but the kid deserves it. Completely different player from the guy who got here as a frosh.

From what we've seen this staff do so far, they're going to build on guys who have the raw frame and speed. Ruff and Walton are converted linebackers (Ken OMG got big! Really impressed with what he's done with his body). And now Black looks to be on track to slide inside. Makes alot of sense, those true 1 and 3 tech types are really hard to come by. Out of all the ways to work around it I think looking for the right combination of frame, fast twitch, and work ethic is a good approach. Then you simply build numbers and adapt based on how your players develop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom