Sleeping on the Terps

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
I would like to see more attention given to this matchup because it is flying completely off the radar. For every mention of Maryland as a trap game, we have 1000 posts about how awesome the Clemson homecoming weekend will be.

We went 10-3 last year with 3 or 4 games that could've gone either way. We're not exactly at the point where we can overlook a true road game against a P5 school. We look back on those McNabb teams filled with talent and wonder why they didn't accomplish more. It's because they lost a game to a school like Maryland every GD year.

Will Dino's coaching and system allow us to avoid those pitfalls? Maybe. I hope so. But it scares me that nobody seems to understand how important the Maryland game is. Vegas may be a pick-em for all we know. And the weather is a complete unknown. We lose that game and you better fasten your outdoor patio furniture for the rush of air coming out of the balloon.

dollarbill44

All American
But it scares me that nobody seems to understand how important the Maryland game is. Vegas may be a pick-em for all we know. And the weather is a complete unknown. We lose that game and you better fasten your outdoor patio furniture for the rush of air coming out of the balloon.
I think you're projecting a little here. Most people on this forum know that we could lose to Maryland. I'm not even taking Liberty for granted. That said, it's April 1, let people be excited about Clemson. Don't worry, there will be plenty of handwringing in the days leading up to the Liberty and Maryland games.

FrancoPizza

I think you're projecting a little here. Most people on this forum know that we could lose to Maryland. I'm not even taking Liberty for granted. That said, it's April 1, let people be excited about Clemson. Don't worry, there will be plenty of handwringing in the days leading up to the Liberty and Maryland games.
I still have nightmares of McNabb and McIntosh fumbling away the Minnesota game. Blowing the East Carolina game after leading 21-0. Dee Brown fumbling at the goal line. And on and on.

dasher

Living Legend
I still have nightmares of McNabb and McIntosh fumbling away the Minnesota game. Blowing the East Carolina game after leading 21-0. Dee Brown fumbling at the goal line. And on and on.
Wasn't it T jones who fumbled that game away?

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
Oklahoma in 1994 AND 1997 were both nightmarish losses - Especially since the Sooners were particularly awful in 97 and the epitome of mediocre at 6-6 in 1994.

djorange1989

All American
I would like to see more attention given to this matchup because it is flying completely off the radar. For every mention of Maryland as a trap game, we have 1000 posts about how awesome the Clemson homecoming weekend will be.

We went 10-3 last year with 3 or 4 games that could've gone either way. We're not exactly at the point where we can overlook a true road game against a P5 school. We look back on those McNabb teams filled with talent and wonder why they didn't accomplish more. It's because they lost a game to a school like Maryland every GD year.

Will Dino's coaching and system allow us to avoid those pitfalls? Maybe. I hope so. But it scares me that nobody seems to understand how important the Maryland game is. Vegas may be a pick-em for all we know. And the weather is a complete unknown. We lose that game and you better fasten your outdoor patio furniture for the rush of air coming out of the balloon.
as long as the players understand the importance of the game, i don't give a crap if anyone else does or not

FRANKIEFAN

Starter
This might be the second hardest game on our schedule NC St loses the entire team and FSU is down.

FrancoPizza

as long as the players understand the importance of the game, i don't give a crap if anyone else does or not
well the early quotes from Tommy suggest they're already getting tunnel vision on Clemson.

dollarbill44

All American
well the early quotes from Tommy suggest they're already getting tunnel vision on Clemson.
I am confident Dino will have them ready for Maryland. I remember my coaches circling the biggest game in the offseason to keep the team focused on the workouts, but when it came time for each game, the focus was all on that game. I think this is fairly common.

tipphill

All Conference
Guess what, if they are focused on Clemson as the goal on where they need to get as a team, Maryland takes care of itself.

You want to have PTSD about fluke losses 20 years ago, knock yourself out.
odd??? i think this is a CRUCIAL season in the rebuild and recruiting. NO GAME IS TO BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED. i am confident that dino is more prepared HIMSELF!!!

GoSU96

Living Legend
odd??? i think this is a CRUCIAL season in the rebuild and recruiting. NO GAME IS TO BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED. i am confident that dino is more prepared HIMSELF!!!
I guess you missed the point, they aren't worried about being as good as Maryland, they are trying to stay competitive with Clemson. Nothing implies they should take Maryland for granted.

OrangeTarheel

2018 Cali Winner: Passing TDs
The last time we played Maryland we kicked their a$$ on their horrible non ironic retro field in front of their 25 fans. Then we landed AET and he tore it up for us while barely registering when he played for them. That’s my summary of Maryland sucking.

CA Monk

2nd String
Last time we played Maryland was 2014. They whipped us 34 - 20 at the Dome. Wasn't even that competitive. Also, they beat Texas the last 2 years. Last year victory came even with the coaching upheaval. They have athletes. They can beat us irrespective of Locksley's aforementioned dysfunction. Maybe he's learned.
Of course we can win, but just don't anyone take this game for granted.

Last edited:

FrancoPizza

Last time we played Maryland was 2014. They whipped us 34 - 20 at the Dome. Wasn't even that competitive. Also, they beat Texas the last 2 years. Last year victory cam even with ll the coaching upheaval. They have athletes. They can beat us irrespective of Locksley's aforementioned dysfunction. Maybe he's learned.
Of course we can win, but just don't anyone take this game for granted.
This. Talent can overcome bad coaching. This isn’t rutgers.

shandeezy7

All American
Guess what, if they are focused on Clemson as the goal on where they need to get as a team, Maryland takes care of itself.

You want to have PTSD about fluke losses 20 years ago, knock yourself out.
I guess I wouldn't call something that happened once or twice every year in the McNabb era as "flukes." And just last year, in the midst of our best season in 20 years, we lost on the road to a Pitt squad that should have been a fairly easy win for that team. I really hope the team isn't preparing for Liberty and Maryland by focusing on Clemson. That would not inspire confidence in me.

Top Bottom