Sleeping on the Terps

MSOrange

2018 Cali Winner: Passing Yards (Big Deal Again)
I think there are a number of posters who realize that Maryland is no easy win but Otto has made it futile to have any discussion about that on here

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
Well it's become annoying as hell. I think we all understand your viewpoint.
Coming from you, and the history of posting on the board we've had over the years, I take that seriously and apologize for the annoyance.

I do believe however that our fans are sweating unnecessarily, and if people truly understood the depths of suckitude embodied by Locksley they would be much happier.

It seems my reminders of Locksley's putridity as a coach are no longer helpful, so I will do my best to refrain from detracting from this conversation in the future.

MSOrange

2018 Cali Winner: Passing Yards (Big Deal Again)
Coming from you, and the history of posting on the board we've had over the years, I take that seriously and apologize for the annoyance.

I do believe however that our fans are sweating unnecessarily, and if people truly understood the depths of suckitude embodied by Locksley they would be much happier.

It seems my reminders of Locksley's putridity as a coach are no longer helpful, so I will do my best to refrain from detracting from this conversation in the future.
I appreciate that and if we do win by 40 points of whatever, I think we'll all be thrilled and I'll be the first to come give you credit for being right about worrying unnecessarily.

OrangeTarheel

2018 Cali Winner: Passing TDs
Technically the last time we played Maryland was in 2014 in the Dome and we lost.
Ohhhh, forgot about that embarrassment. Still, the rest of my post stands

Cusefan69

Starter
Do you know why it's off the radar?

Because Locksley blows.

Horrible head coach. Absolute dumpster fire.

You know who was a better HC?

Greg Robinson
3DB3363A-397D-41BE-B473-26523DF79390.gif

To clarify mmmmmmmmmm Nah refers to comment around train that could. Don’t disagree with premise Locksley can’t coach.

Last edited:

SouthernCuse

Scout Team
Last year I thought the attitude of the team was great. You could tell in the pressers. Loved the presser after we got bowl eligible. Player comments made me sure that every win counted as an improvement, focused on week to week all season. It WOULD be a big ask to get that kind of excellent team attitude every year. Hopefully, the seniors and juniors absorbed it and understand the importance of that attitude and will keep it going next year.

Orangtiz

2nd String
This might be the second hardest game on our schedule NC St loses the entire team and FSU is down.
FSU is down from normal, but all I can say is that team is filled with talent. They consistently bring in a top 10 recruiting class year in and year out. You cannot discount the talent on a team like that.

Call me crazy, but doing to Tallahassee and coming away with a win is just something I don't see us doing yet.

kcsu

Hall of Fame
All but 2 of our games will be difficult. Maryland has excellent talent and its an away game.

TheCusian

Living Legend
I’ve come to believe that what we fans think of a team has almost no bearing on what the staff and players think.

I’m also 1000% sure that I will be alternately positive that we’ll win or lose a dozen times against every FBS opponent on our schedule leading up to the game.

I’m still just happy that we have a legit chance to win against every opponent on our schedule.

DeGrozz

All Conference
It’s fun to dump on Locksley, but he’s been working under one of the greatest football coaches to ever do it for the last few years. I don’t think it’s out of the question that he surprises some people in this stint due to his development under Saban.

Newhouser

All Conference
I don't think its about Maryland and their coach. NC State losses or FSU malaise. I haven't seen enough of this program to go into any P5 game and say "we are going to roll them". IMHO we haven't shown the consistency yet and still lay enough eggs to make every game an adventure. I will say that Dino has gotten me to the level I was at near the end of the Marrone era where non p5 losses are a thing of the past.

CuseCactus

Starter
Same. For many reasons I want to destroy Liberty - the Falwells are complete hypocrites and awful human beings.
You couldn't pay me to go to that game on that campus. I hope we drop 70 on them.

FRANKIEFAN

Starter
FSU is down from normal, but all I can say is that team is filled with talent. They consistently bring in a top 10 recruiting class year in and year out. You cannot discount the talent on a team like that.

Call me crazy, but doing to Tallahassee and coming away with a win is just something I don't see us doing yet.
Agree.

I don’t care how many issues MD NC St or FSU have all 3 are road games against teams that perennially have way more talent than us and we will do very very very well to win more than 1 of them.

From a far I can’t really pinpoint which is the easiest and which is the hardest of the 3. We definitely don’t want bad weather for any of them.

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
It’s fun to dump on Locksley, but he’s been working under one of the greatest football coaches to ever do it for the last few years. I don’t think it’s out of the question that he surprises some people in this stint due to his development under Saban.
Two counterpoints to this.

1, at Alabama he was able to enjoy all of the advantages Alabama offered, which are significant. Saban is the mastermind, the roster is stuffed with NFL talent, the staff is artificially enlarged with an army of "consultants," and there's a pre-existing culture that demands excellence. Now he has none of that, or if he does, he needs to create it on his own, which I have doubts about because...

2, he'd need 3 years of exposure to Saban to make such an impact that it outweighs the lifetime of experience that created the conditions under which he achieved a 3 and 31 record as a head coach. That's not a turnaround, that's a body swap.

I'd also say, we're catching him at the right time. His greatest attribute as a coach is his ability to recruit. Given that he hasn't had much time to do that meaningfully, it's likely that the guys he has brought in are limited contributors as true freshmen. As for the grad transfers, they help immediately, but they might also create some problems in the locker room. They are coming into a situation where a group of guys fought through scandal together. There will be something to navigate there. Given Locksley's history of poor decision making and program management, is he really the guy to handle that? I'm not confident in that.

Here's what I think will happen: due to the talent on the team, he'll claw out enough wins his first year to give the program some hope, but any talent he is able to bring in will prove unable to overcome his limitations as the guy in charge.

I'm sorry MSOrange , I made it a day.

MikeSU02

All American
Any conference road game victory is a good one.

However, I believe Locksley is just a wretched coach and I'd be way more worried if we 1) were playing them in game 1 versus game 2 and 2) if DeVito hadn't gotten any reps last year.

I'm always worried because a few turnovers and you can lose any game, but this is one we should be ready for.

Top Bottom