Sleeping on the Terps

shandeezy7

All American
Any conference road game victory is a good one.

However, I believe Locksley is just a wretched coach and I'd be way more worried if we 1) were playing them in game 1 versus game 2 and 2) if DeVito hadn't gotten any reps last year.

I'm always worried because a few turnovers and you can lose any game, but this is one we should be ready for.
What about non-conference road games? ;-)

MSOrange

2018 Cali Winner: Passing Yards (Big Deal Again)
Two counterpoints to this.

1, at Alabama he was able to enjoy all of the advantages Alabama offered, which are significant. Saban is the mastermind, the roster is stuffed with NFL talent, the staff is artificially enlarged with an army of "consultants," and there's a pre-existing culture that demands excellence. Now he has none of that, or if he does, he needs to create it on his own, which I have doubts about because...

2, he'd need 3 years of exposure to Saban to make such an impact that it outweighs the lifetime of experience that created the conditions under which he achieved a 3 and 31 record as a head coach. That's not a turnaround, that's a body swap.

I'd also say, we're catching him at the right time. His greatest attribute as a coach is his ability to recruit. Given that he hasn't had much time to do that meaningfully, it's likely that the guys he has brought in are limited contributors as true freshmen. As for the grad transfers, they help immediately, but they might also create some problems in the locker room. They are coming into a situation where a group of guys fought through scandal together. There will be something to navigate there. Given Locksley's history of poor decision making and program management, is he really the guy to handle that? I'm not confident in that.

Here's what I think will happen: due to the talent on the team, he'll claw out enough wins his first year to give the program some hope, but any talent he is able to bring in will prove unable to overcome his limitations as the guy in charge.

I'm sorry MSOrange , I made it a day.
This is fine. This a well reasoned response. It was the repetitive posts that just said essentially said "Locksley" that I didn't think added much value. I still think it will be a more competitive game than you think, but I do think we will win. But we have a young QB also, one I feel is very talented, but you never know with a young QB in his 2nd start.

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
This is fine. This a well reasoned response. It was the repetitive posts that just said essentially said "Locksley" that I didn't think added much value. I still think it will be a more competitive game than you think, but I do think we will win. But we have a young QB also, one I feel is very talented, but you never know with a young QB in his 2nd start.
Oh, come on now, be fair.

In a lot of them I didn't even say Locksley, I just wrote "HC sucks."

djorange1989

All American
Terps beat Texas to open the season both of the last two years. Hopefully we don't fall into that trap.
I will bet my house that they don't open the season by beating us this year (ok, we are their second game, but you know, I am indeed correct)

IthacaMatt

Living Legend
I guess I wouldn't call something that happened once or twice every year in the McNabb era as "flukes." And just last year, in the midst of our best season in 20 years, we lost on the road to a Pitt squad that should have been a fairly easy win for that team. I really hope the team isn't preparing for Liberty and Maryland by focusing on Clemson. That would not inspire confidence in me.

A big part of the problem of the McNabb years - I'm guessing here a bit, no inside knowledge - but (1) Kevin Rogers was seen as the guru after coaching Graves and then McNabb, and I'm thinking that maybe his play calling was at odds with P&D, which might have been part of the reason for so many delay of game calls back in those days - Rogers wanted to throw the ball a lot more than P&D, and (2) P&D just froze up under the spotlight; once we were expected to be excellent, it was too much pressure for them, and rubbed off on the players.

All4SU

Hall of Fame
I still have nightmares of McNabb and McIntosh fumbling away the Minnesota game. Blowing the East Carolina game after leading 21-0. Dee Brown fumbling at the goal line. And on and on.
Roland Grimes. 1985 v PSU.

OrangeDW

Living Legend
I've never been sadder after an SU football game than that.
That and the Oklahoma loss that season were just completely ridiculous. Then of course Tennessee to start ‘98.

By the time we beat VT on the last play in 98, I think I had some PTSD from those losses. I didn’t even celebrate for like the first 5-10 seconds because I wasn’t convinced we actually won. I went through a whole checklist “is he in bounds??!!”(it was hard to tell from my seat though later seeing it on TV, he was a good 5 yards in bounds obviously), “no flag??!!”, “he actually caught it??!!”, before I started going nuts and ran on the field.

kirbivore

2018 Cali Winner: Tackles for a Loss
I don't put Tennessee in the same category. They were very talented, P and D just coached scared by conceding a FG on the last offensive possession. Also some very shady good ol' boy officiating.

OrangeDW

Living Legend
I don't put Tennessee in the same category. They were very talented, P and D just coached scared by conceding a FG on the last offensive possession. Also some very shady good ol' boy officiating.
Agreed. I at least felt good that we played well in that one. But it was equally heartbreaking. And playing for a FG was frustrating. I was feeling like we were going to lose those type of games at that point.

The VT game had all the hallmarks of a frustrating loss. Dominating the first half but losing because of a few flukey big plays. Almost overcoming it, but seeming to blow it when we had first and goal at the 1. I was in disbelief that we came through for a bit.

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate
I was more worried about WMU last year than Maryland this year, berate me need be.

As always, the team we’ll overlook will be Pitt. Not to mention BC is going to want revenge after we absolutely emasculated mantits

cuse309

All Conference
Im not looking past Liberty. its gotta be a week at a time.
I assumed that since we don't actually play on the team, that we, as fans, can look past opponents. I don't think it'll have an effect on the actual game.;)

OrangeDW

Living Legend
I was more worried about WMU last year than Maryland this year, berate me need be.

As always, the team we’ll overlook will be Pitt. Not to mention BC is going to want revenge after we absolutely emasculated mantits

Pitt in the Dome...I can’t see any way we overlook them after last year.

I don’t think it’s typically been an “overlook” thing though. They probably had a better team than us 75% of the time the last 15 years.

Top Bottom