Slow Mesh Complaint | Syracusefan.com

Slow Mesh Complaint

CIL

All Conference
So in theory it’s a great concept, and works pretty darn well to run the ball

However, in the mesh RPO game, how in the hell is ineligible receiver downfield never called? There were probably 5-10 plays where Wake’s entire offensive line was 3-4 yards downfield.

That should be called every time, and would take the “rugby scrum” passing game away from them.

Ncaa linemen are allowed to be 3 yards downfield when a forward pass is thrown. NFL allows 1 yard I believe. I think when the play looks like a run the refs are more focused on things like offensive holding. So they’re less likely to see ineligible receivers being downfield. Unless its obvious.

Last edited:
Ncaa linemen are allowed to be 3 yards downfield when a forward pass is thrown. NFL allows 1 yard I believe. I think when the play looks like a run the refs are more focused on things like offensive holding. So they’re less likely to see ineligible receivers being downfield. Unless its obvious.
Correct. It’s not every mesh, but there were definitely a handful that were beyond 3.

Correct. It’s not every mesh, but there were definitely a handful that were beyond 3.
Agree. I know the lineman practice not going beyond 3 yards but are you telling there's not 1 lineman going a little more than 3 yards each time? No way. They should be called for inelgible receiver at least once per game. Based on how often they run the vertical slow mesh.

Last edited:
Agree. I know the lineman practice not going beyond 3 yards but are you telling there's not 1 lineman going a little more than 3 yards each time? No way. They should be called for inelgible receiver at least once per game. Based on how often they run the vertical slow mesh.

I had to rewind the game because at one point WF had 3 OL 5 yards down the field before Hartman pulled the ball to throw.

I could be wrong with this, but I believe that if an offensive lineman is engaged in a block, they can do what they need to do on a pass play. For instance, they could hypothetically find a LB at 2 yards down field and drive him five yards past the LOS (and Hartman throws the ball). What they cannot do is advance to the second and third level looking for someone to block downfield.

I think that is the rule in the NFL (one yard), but it may be different for CFB.

not only that, the hardest thing to do is maintain blocks of that long.. they never get called for holds either.
the biggest play of the game was that early holding call we had that took away the TD and they missing the wide open td the next drived.. could have been up 3 scores pretty early.

I could be wrong with this, but I believe that if an offensive lineman is engaged in a block, they can do what they need to do on a pass play. For instance, they could hypothetically find a LB at 2 yards down field and drive him five yards past the LOS (and Hartman throws the ball). What they cannot do is advance to the second and third level looking for someone to block downfield.

I think that is the rule in the NFL (one yard), but it may be different for CFB.
Its still 3 yards. They just dont normally call anything if the lineman are engage with a defender a little beyond that

Reactions: CIL
Babers needs to be constantly asking the officials to call it or else they’re going to ignore it. It’s on the coach

It's been years of it, I'm sure every coach says something and sends film to the ACC offices. CIL is brilliant but he didn't see something no one else has.

It's been years of it, I'm sure every coach says something and sends film to the ACC offices. CIL is brilliant but he didn't see something no one else has.
Yup. Babers previous offense ran a lot of RPO's that took advantage of that as well. Im sure all the coaches say something but ultimately its up to the refs to call it.

Last edited:
Babers needs to be constantly asking the officials to call it or else they’re going to ignore it. It’s on the coach
And sending examples on film to acc officiating every day the week leading up to the game.

Wake does run this every game though. I have to think this is built in to most teams prep for wake.

Agreed but sometimes you have to advocate for yourself. Dino should be giving the officials an earful about it all game.

Why would a player with NFL aspirations ever go there? Would think that offense would torpedo the career of any OL or RB, especially.

I just can’t figure out how Wake gets OL good enough to pull that slow developing stuff off.

Our backup OL couldn’t run a lightning mesh.
Seriously, what kind of blocking techniques are they teaching that make this possible?

It's maddening to watch because it feels like somebody should be getting through and lighting up the running back every play.

And it never happens.

What the Hell?

My biggest complaint about the Slow Mesh is, why don't we run it?

It's one of the reasons WF scores a lot of points, on just about everybody. They possess the ball for long periods, gain themselves superior field position, and consistently get good yards on first down.

Last edited:
You can always file a lawsuit…
ECBAE610-ACEA-4A24-B1FE-A176E9AD417D.jpeg

So in theory it’s a great concept, and works pretty darn well to run the ball

However, in the mesh RPO game, how in the hell is ineligible receiver downfield never called? There were probably 5-10 plays where Wake’s entire offensive line was 3-4 yards downfield.

That should be called every time, and would take the “rugby scrum” passing game away from them.
Yep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom