Sneakerhead Thread (the alliteration is stunning!) | Syracusefan.com

Sneakerhead Thread (the alliteration is stunning!)

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
Not really sure where to put this, or even if it will have interest, but I’m sending out the Bat signal to gather all the Sneakerheads for a thread focused solely (see what I did there?) on the love of all things sneakers! For me it’s not just resale market/resellers, profits & margins… I love the stories, the design, the history, the materials & the culture in general. Hoping this will be a catch-all for others with similar interests!

I’m a personal collector with a little online selling on the side. I’m a firm believer that sneakers are meant to be worn, I try to wear everything in my collection. I’m also a believer in keeping my sneaker collection in a constant rotation… if I’m not wearing ‘em, if they’re not my style anymore, I try to resell & use the funds to seed for new pairs.

I typically have about 90-100 pairs in my personal collection, 5-7 pairs listed for sale. My passion for many years has been Dunk Highs, it now includes Dunk Lows, classic/retro Jordan’s (1-14, mostly 1’s though), Air Max 1’s & Adidas/Yeezy.

I’ve loved sneakers for years, my freshman & sophomore year at Syracuse I worked at the Dick’s in Shoppingtown Mall in the sneaker dept. My collection grew to 30-35 pairs, but after I got married I basically dumped them all & didn’t really do much… but, 3-4 years ago I got back into it, as I near 40 years old I’m as passionate as ever about sneakers!

Most recently, I had a pretty crazy Yeezy Day, including hitting on 350 Turtledoves, Ararat & Onyx Foam Runners & Azael 700’s… they haven’t arrived yet, but I’m pumped about that haul for sure.

Anyway, I’d love to hear some other stories/collections! I haven’t lived in Syracuse for 15 years, what’s the sneaker culture currently… any decent sneaker spots to shop? Hoping this will catch on & we’ll have some space to continue the conversation!

A few years ago, complex.com had an article called 20 Greatest Sneakers in Syracuse Basketball. The article is still up, unfortunately, the images are all now broken.

Air Force STS 1989 in Orange and White is my all-time #1.

I had a solid 20ish pairs worth a damn before our fire and only some slightly fire-caused discolored Silk Road Kobes and Oreo 4s made it out worth saving. Started collecting in high school and was 23 last summer when they bit the dust.

Since then I've entered into any SNKRs raffle for retros or air maxes that I like even a little bit. The LeBron 9 "Lebronald Palmers" a couple weeks ago and the yellow lightning 4s last summer are my favorite hits since I've started rebuilding. I got my first couple pairs of 1s in the last month or so, too.

My favorite sneaker ever is KD VI Aunt Pearls. I figured that I would get another pair when I was in NYC or something at some point but I came home from studying a couple weeks ago and my gf had gotten me a pair as a graduation present. Pretty cool of her especially considering she isn't into shoes at all.

Not to be a totes tedious or a problematic pedant or a Donnie Douchebag but that’s not Alliteration. But anyway I own a pair of Dunks and I love them so much I think I’ve worn them out twice in two years.
Haha I’m fine with the grammar reprimand, it’s fair game & you’re right!

Which dunks, the Syracuse high or lows?

I had a solid 20ish pairs worth a damn before our fire and only some slightly fire-caused discolored Silk Road Kobes and Oreo 4s made it out worth saving. Started collecting in high school and was 23 last summer when they bit the dust.

Since then I've entered into any SNKRs raffle for retros or air maxes that I like even a little bit. The LeBron 9 "Lebronald Palmers" a couple weeks ago and the yellow lightning 4s last summer are my favorite hits since I've started rebuilding. I got my first couple pairs of 1s in the last month or so, too.

My favorite sneaker ever is KD VI Aunt Pearls. I figured that I would get another pair when I was in NYC or something at some point but I came home from studying a couple weeks ago and my gf had gotten me a pair as a graduation present. Pretty cool of her especially considering she isn't into shoes at all.
That’s a great gift, it’s always amazing to get your favorite pair in the collection… your girlfriend is clutch with it!

I’ve owned a few KD’s, the Aunt Pearl 10’s & both the “What The” & PB&J 4’s. I ended up selling them the past couple years, the PB&J’s most recently in the last month or two!

Highs
I have them too, love them… only wish I could get the lows at a decent price, it’s crazy to me they’re still hovering in the high $300 to low $400 range… used! The quality isn’t even that good, but they do look great

My favorite sneaker is the Jordan 4 White Cement. I’ve been wearing my 2016 pair like crazy the last few years and they’re still going strong.

Haven’t bought anything in awhile - since the Cuse Dunks almost a year and a half ago now. I probably have around 15 pairs - not counting the sneakers I actually play hoops or run in.

Nike SNKRS app BS completely killed my interest in impulse buys. Things like the Griffeys being instant sellouts and overpriced in resell really ticked me off. So I basically shut it down on my end.

I’d like to see the Jordan 12 taxis brought back. Kinda mad I didn’t go for the He Got Game 13s a few years ago - resale is probably high.

I’m sick of Jordan 1’s, and I’m mad that young girls completely took over Air Force 1’s. Same way they did the adidas Superstars a few years ago.

I may try to get the Penny 1’s in Orlando colorway to break my long streak of not buying anything - but I’m sure I’ll strike out and that resale will be doubled immediately.

We had a sneaker thread a few years ago that I remember Pearl309 (don’t think he’s posted in a long time) and ssbriefcase were active in.

Last edited:
My favorite sneaker is the Jordan 4 White Cement. I’ve been wearing my 2016 pair like crazy the last few years and they’re still going strong.

Haven’t bought anything in awhile - since the Cuse Dunks almost a year and a half ago now. I probably have around 15 pairs - not counting the sneakers I actually play hoops or run in.

Nike SNKRS app BS completely killed my interest in impulse buys. Things like the Griffeys being instant sellouts and overpriced in resell really ticked me off. So I basically shut it down on my end.

I’d like to see the Jordan 12 taxis brought back. Kinda mad I didn’t go for the He Got Game 13s a few years ago - resale is probably high.

I’m sick of Jordan 1’s, and I’m mad that young girls completely took over Air Force 1’s. Same way they did the adidas Superstars a few years ago.

I may try to get the Penny 1’s in Orlando colorway to break my long streak of not buying anything - but I’m sure I’ll strike out and that resale will be doubled immediately.

We had a sneaker thread a few years ago that I remember Pearl309 (don’t think he’s posted in a long time) and ssbriefcase were active in.
I have the 2016 Jordan 4 White Cements as well, definitely one my favorites too… great choice! I have all the A Ma Maniere x Jordan collaborations so far (1-3, the A Ma Maniere Jordan 3 might be my favorite sneaker currently), but I cannot wait to get my hands on a pair of the A Ma Maniere 4’s that images have started circulating on!

I have the 2016 Jordan 4 White Cements as well, definitely one my favorites too
Same. My all time favorites is the white cement 3's. I have those in 3 colorways. Looking to add the Mocha's next. Got a few good Adidas boosts off StockX, including the Game of Thrones, White Walkers. I've never even seen the GOT lol, but the colorway was too great to pass up. Definitely can't wear those on any day with any type of moisture in the forecast.

Same. My all time favorites is the white cement 3's. I have those in 3 colorways. Looking to add the Mocha's next. Got a few good Adidas boosts off StockX, including the Game of Thrones, White Walkers. I've never even seen the GOT lol, but the colorway was too great to pass up. Definitely can't wear those on any day with any type of moisture in the forecast.
Those ultra boosts….that’s a clean colorway!

I’ve got a pair of ultra boosts from 5-6 years ago. Still incredible comfortable.

You’re telling me they couldn’t have just used black instead of navy, and given us THE shoe? SMH.

For my old school SB dunk fans out there... I traded an old pair of Nike SB Dunk High "When Pigs Fly" in not great condition for a pair of Nike SB Dunk Low "Marty McFly" in much better condition on the Tradeblock app (an interesting community/marketplace to obtain sneakers through trades - though there are some fees & shipping involved). I'm really happy with the overall trade, the "When Pigs Fly" are relatively hard to find & usually very expensive... however, at almost the same time, I put a lowball bid on eBay for a pair of them in much better condition than the ones I traded away, & the seller accepted it! Both pairs were waiting for when I got back from an out of state conference yesterday!
Sneaks copy.jpg

You’re telling me they couldn’t have just used black instead of navy, and given us THE shoe? SMH.
Haha so close to getting the people what they want!

A flurry of buying & selling activities for me recently in the sneaker world!

Sold the Yeezy Foam Runners Onyx, the Yeezy 700 V3 Azael & a used pair of Jordan 3 True Blues in okay condition in the last couple of days.

Coming in a just picked up a pair of VNDS Concepts x Nike Air Max 1 “Heavy,” a used pair of Ishod Wair x Nike SB Dunk Low “Mismatch” & a pair of Nike Dunk Low “Community Garden”

I’m really happy with where my Nike Dunk collection is heading, I may list where it’s at here soon. Also pleased with my Nike Air Max 1 options, just such a great pair of sneakers with jeans/pants or sweats.

Edit: Just sold the Yeezy Foam Runner Ararats I picked up on Yeezy Day (for $90) on GOAT for $235… that’s a nice flip!
995BA1A8-A619-4237-8431-75DF8D981FE1.jpeg
27084CFA-8F92-4D3C-8B47-AAFF3C8DF0DF.jpegCC6FE240-4957-45A4-AEB9-5D57ABBA68F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Well... I never, ever thought this would happen. Ever. About two weeks ago on eBay a pair of these promo Syracuse dunk low "Orangemen" (never released via retail, only a few select pairs were given to individuals involved at Syracuse University), IN MY SIZE, hit my eBay saved searches. In very good used shape. Listing price was $350 - Buy It Now price as $1,000+. So, I was a little nervous & just hoping that these would slide under the radar. Kept an eye on them for the 5 days of listing... no bids... 3 days left... no bids... 1 day left... no bids. Finally, there was 1 bid on the shoes at the listing price of $350. On Tuesday afternoon, the listing was coming down to the end. Was so nervous, heart pounding. I had a $450 bid lined up for the last few seconds, counting down... 5-4-3-2... sent my bid in...

Got 'Em. Total cost $355. I'm absolutely shook fellas, this is unbelievable. As a Syracuse fan, as a sneakerhead, I have a super rare promo pair of Syracuse Nike Dunk Low's that say "Orangemen" on them, in near pristine condition, in my size, in my personal collection. I waited to even MENTION it on here until I get them in hand (they had to go through eBay's authentication process to make sure they weren't fakes). They arrived today. An absolute, all time personal grail of mine. Wow.

Syracuse 1.jpg
Syracuse 2.jpg
Syracuse 3.jpg
Syracuse 4.jpg

Last edited:
Nike Dunk LOW Syracuse dropping again on November 1st! Let’s goooooo!!!
Saw that! I’ll buy for retail. Maybe $20-$50 over if I miss on SNKRS(which I always do).

Would never pay the absurd prices the last release of low top Dunks went for.

In fact, I hope they make so many of these pairs that it absolutely destroys resale for all Syracuse Dunks. I’d be buying these to keep them and wear them, and also I like the highs better(which I grabbed two pairs of because the prices were normal).

I'd get the dunks if they were comfortable, like the original AirMax, they look great, but they are uncomfortable. One of my friends won the fire red J3's on SNKRS, but not in his size. Guess who's size they did come in...yep...this guys. He showed up to happy hour yesterday and just gave them to me. Those were actually my next pair of 3's I was going to get after the Mochas. Big Friday win

I’ve literally entered about 20 raffles on the Jordan 1 Chicago Lost & Found dropping on Saturday. I love the story telling & packaging, ANY Jordan 1 High OG in the Chicago colorway is a must cop. I missed out on Early Access on SNKRS, with the amount of pairs made (rumor of 500,000+) & all the raffles I’ve entered, I’ve covered my bases & SHOULD get at least one pair… nothing is ever that easy though!

Also grabbed a pair of Nike Air Ships in Team Orange! Air Ships are the sneakers Jordan wore before the Jordan 1’s came out, they carry very similar design & aesthetic with the Dunk High’s & Jordan 1’s. When Nike re-released these, with the Team Orange color, I was hoping at some point to grab a pair for the personal collection at retail!
784BABAD-B8FF-4DB1-81F9-568EA1D11A3E.jpeg

Attachments

• E3805B79-1484-477F-BA92-14CF4CDDAD8F.jpeg
    E3805B79-1484-477F-BA92-14CF4CDDAD8F.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 57

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online