Snowshoe, WV | Syracusefan.com

Snowshoe, WV

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Didn't even know the place existed a week ago but basically drew a map of everywhere within 4-5 hours drive of DC as I needed to escape from all of the noise, traffic and non-stop 90+ degree days for a bit. Just happened to run into Snowshoe Mountain on Google and looked decent enough. Left around 7:30 on Fri morning and were there at Noon for lunch. Was pretty much perfect. It's way up at 4848 feet. Weather was in the low-mid 70s during the day and around 60 at night. They have a few ski lifts running that take you down to the lake to go kayaking. Tons and tons of people mountain biking down the ski trails. My body is too broken to start trying to do that crap as 40 approaches. Food options were decent, there's 1 brewery in town but the guy has built up 2 little tap rooms up in the village as well. Overall it's pretty damn nice for a quick weekend getaway. Would probably get bored after 4-5 days but it was excellent for 2 nights.

Didn't even know the place existed a week ago but basically drew a map of everywhere within 4-5 hours drive of DC as I needed to escape from all of the noise, traffic and non-stop 90+ degree days for a bit. Just happened to run into Snowshoe Mountain on Google and looked decent enough. Left around 7:30 on Fri morning and were there at Noon for lunch. Was pretty much perfect. It's way up at 4848 feet. Weather was in the low-mid 70s during the day and around 60 at night. They have a few ski lifts running that take you down to the lake to go kayaking. Tons and tons of people mountain biking down the ski trails. My body is too broken to start trying to do that crap as 40 approaches. Food options were decent, there's 1 brewery in town but the guy has built up 2 little tap rooms up in the village as well. Overall it's pretty damn nice for a quick weekend getaway. Would probably get bored after 4-5 days but it was excellent for 2 nights.
It's the only ski resort in the South worth a damn in my mind. We're about two hours from it, and I love the village at the top of the resort. We typically stay in the village and do ski-in/ski-out. All the drinking and dining establishments are right there - it's definitely a nice setup.

I'm pretty much 10 minutes from Wintergreen in Virginia, and that place sucks out loud. So overpriced with runs that are roughly the same size as Song or Tog.

It's the only ski resort in the South worth a damn in my mind. We're about two hours from it, and I love the village at the top of the resort. We typically stay in the village and do ski-in/ski-out. All the drinking and dining establishments are right there - it's definitely a nice setup.

I'm pretty much 10 minutes from Wintergreen in Virginia, and that place sucks out loud. So overpriced with runs that are roughly the same size as Song or Tog.
I was really impressed. Not a ton to do but plenty for a weekend. Was exactly what I was looking for. May have to check it out in the winter though I'd be a little apprehensive about making the drive out there unless the snow didn't start til we were up on the mountain because that would be a miserable ordeal.

I had a field site right near there in grad school. Beautiful area. I have bad knees so I never partook at Snowshoe, but it was a favorite amongst my friends.

My neighbors have a place there. The dad and son take my son mountain biking there for the weekend a few times per year. He absolutely loves it.

Apparently they sometimes have to stop and let him out during the mountain portion of the drive, to prevent a car full of vomit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom