So…Jesse Edwards…and others like him… | Syracusefan.com

So…Jesse Edwards…and others like him…

Jake

Mod
I wonder if schools are going to start putting non-compete clauses or something similar into agreements. If HS kids wanna sign with colleges as professionals, colleges might start treating them like professionals.

Players like Jesse….that literally had no other options…might find themselves tied to schools contractually.

You want to play D1? Okay…we’ll sign you, but you are ours.

Nobody frigging wanted Jesse Edwards. He was our plan C. He hit the lottery with us because we had no other players and we had to force feed him minutes.

I would not be surprised to see players that teams take flyers on, end up with limited portal options.

It’d be an interesting legal concept. You can portal, unless our agreement says you can’t.

Last edited:
You will see non competes in NIL along with garnishments or threats of litigation to claw back earnings if talent transfers out before the terms of the contracts are up.

I wonder if schools are going to start putting non-compete clauses or something similar into agreements. If HS kids wanna sign with colleges as professionals, colleges might start treating them like professionals.

Players like Jesse….that literally had no other options…might find themselves tied to schools contractually.

Nobody frigging wanted Jesse Edwards. He was our plan C. He hit the lottery with us because we had no other players and we had to force feed him minutes.

I would not be surprised to see players that teams take flyers on, end up with limited portal options.

It’d be an interesting legal concept. You can portal, unless our agreement says you can’t.
NIL (under current rules) can’t be dependent on attending a school, you’d need some other alternative clause like “must reside in xxxx city until the end of the agreement”

Fed Govt is getting ready to outlaw non-compete agreements.

Fed Govt is getting ready to outlaw non-compete agreements.
Not really. Head of the FTC is trying to ban them but she doesn’t have the authority. Would require passing a bill by Congress.

Absolutely hate this premise

And to think it once was enough to get a free education??

Non-compete clauses are highly disfavored and won’t be enforced by courts if they are broader in time or geographical scope than is reasonable. And the reason for them cant be that the guy could hurt you by competing against you at a new job. It has to be something like he will steal your customers. That might work in a particular metropolitan area, but not if the kid transfers out of state.

Non-compete clauses are highly disfavored and won’t be enforced by courts if they are broader in time or geographical scope than is reasonable. And the reason for them cant be that the guy could hurt you by competing against you at a new job. It has to be something like he will steal your customers. That might work in a particular metropolitan area, but not if the kid transfers out of state.
Yeah. Non-competes are unlikely the wsy to go…but schools are gonna find a way to limit movement of players in the same way they try to limit movement of coaches.

Contracts that require paybacks…moral clauses….etc. players who say “I’m an employee”, may be shocked to find out there’s some catches to that psyment.

Yeah. Non-competes are unlikely the wsy to go…but schools are gonna find a way to limit movement of players in the same way they try to limit movement of coaches.

Contracts that require paybacks…moral clauses….etc. players who say “I’m an employee”, may be shocked to find out there’s some catches to that psyment.
That’s the point. Schools don’t want student-athletes to be employees. Opens a Pandora’s box.

There can be ways to rein this in, however.

That’s the point. Schools don’t want student-athletes to be employees. Opens a Pandora’s box.

There can be ways to rein this in, however.
Pandora’s Box would be calm sailing compared to what we are seeing now.

Give me the Box!!

Can also work with the years. Backload, have penalties for leaving under x years, bonuses for things like graduating, x years, etc.

Buy out clauses would make sense, too, we’ll develop someone but we’ll at least get paid if they’re developed and signed away.

Great thought. You want a scholarship sign here. Kid was as raw as an oyster. SU built him into a player, and he bolts. Not good. I love this concept and I believe it could be enforceable.

Never. Nor should there be.

There have been plenty of times being able to tell a player to take a hike has helped us and other schools. Works both ways.

There will always be an option that allows for flexibility bc there isn’t a single governing body that matters.

Who gives a crap if WVU or whomever overpaid for Jesse. A top tier program should have a solution after him anyway.

The NCAA had decades to avoid this and now we’re here.

College basketball as we lived with it is gone. It’s not coming back. It’s over.

Enough for who?

For the great majority of NCAA athletes that compete at the D1 level, but have no prospect for a professional sports career.

For the great majority of NCAA athletes that compete at the D1 level, but have no prospect for a professional sports career.
That’s exactly who is benefitting from this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom