So... Did Benny end up going to practice? | Syracusefan.com

So... Did Benny end up going to practice?

swish7

All Conference
Sorry if I missed this, or if it was already covered.

Did Benny go to practice after his 'personal day', or do we not know yet? Silence if we cannot say yet is fine too. Prefer that over allusion responses.

My non-insider guess is that he is mentally done, ready to move on, and JB gave him a day or 5 to think it over, or whatever.

Or that something indeed happened to him personally or his family.

Don't want to know any details, just wondering if he was at practice.

Did Benny go to practice after his 'personal day', or do we not know yet? Silence if we cannot say yet is fine too. Prefer that over allusion responses.

My non-insider guess is that he is mentally done, ready to move on, and JB gave him a day or 5 to think it over, or whatever.

Nothing against you Swish, but it just amazes me how much energy is put forth on this topic. A personal day is a personal day. Let the kid take his personal day. If he comes back, awesome, if he doesn't next man up.

Maybe people should talk about Chris Bell instead. Gets pulled after 14 seconds and sits for over 20 minutes. Finally gets his number called and put in 6 important points. Was he pissed he was pulled after 14 seconds. Sure he was, but he showed he was ready to contribute in the 2nd half when called.

Nothing against you Swish, but it just amazes me how much energy is put forth on this topic. A personal day is a personal day. Let the kid take his personal day. If he comes back, awesome, if he doesn't next man up.

Maybe people should talk about Chris Bell instead. Gets pulled after 14 seconds and sits for over 20 minutes. Finally gets his number called and put in 6 important points. Was he pissed he was pulled after 14 seconds. Sure he was, but he showed he was ready to contribute in the 2nd half when called.
I don't see how pulling the kid after 14 seconds is productive or good for the kid's confidence. It was one turnover and JB humiliates Bell, did same to Bobby Lazor after 8 seconds. I have been a fan of SU BB since my freshman year at SU in 1963. I have defended JB in the past, but to be honest I am sick of his coaching and the way he treats the media, etc.

Agreed...I think the Bell's play after coming back was awesome.

Also, showed that the concerns we couldnt do that earlier this year as it would kill his confidence were ridiculous

I don't see how pulling the kid after 14 seconds is productive or good for the kid's confidence. It was one turnover and JB humiliates Bell, did same to Bobby Lazor after 8 seconds. I have been a fan of SU BB since my freshman year at SU in 1963. I have defended JB in the past, but to be honest I am sick of his coaching and the way he treats the media, etc.
If anything, JAB has been consistent in his coaching method and his treating of local media since, I believe the Raw Recruits book came out in 1991, and the Syracuse papers started going after him. Bobby Lazor was almost 30 years ago also. Whether you agree with JAB or not, he has been consistent.

I'm not going to defend JB, but Bell and Benny really should have been benched about 10 games ago or at the very least subbed out sooner.

Have to think we have 2-3 more wins if minutes were reversed with Brown and Taylor.

I'm not going to defend JB, but Bell and Benny really should have been benched about 10 games ago or at the very least subbed out sooner.

Have to think we have 2-3 more wins if minutes were reversed with Brown and Taylor.
I don't disagree, so why wasn't the change made sooner and what does that have to do with benching a starter after one turnover 14 seconds into the game?

I don't disagree, so why wasn't the change made sooner and what does that have to do with benching a starter after one turnover 14 seconds into the game?
I don't know. Why didn't JB move of Frank Howard sooner in 16-17?

Why didn't he play Edwards and Braswell more in 2021 until we were almost cooked, not to mention redacted player?

Why didn't he play Dolezaj more instead of Moyer in 2018?

Frankly his lineup decisions have sucked for a few years now.

And Fab, Rak, and DC all got quick hooks after their first mistakes when they were freshmen in the past decade.

So we can't talk about the 5 star kid who was a no show for a game against a top 10 team? All over seemingly losing his starting spot ?

Some of us would like to know if the top 30 kid is still on the team.

We complain about our horrible starts, the way we need to keep coming back in games that too often after we’re already down 15 points early. Bet JB had plenty of talks about the team being ready, playing hard right from the tip-off to his team, as he should have. We then have our first turnover 14 seconds into the game from a player fighting for playing time in a huge game against the league leaders at home. What a horrible start for the team, for the player. How is a coach supposed to trust a player so unaware of the importance of basic ball security? Bell seemed to realize from his own words why he was pulled and he knew he has to prove he’s always ready when on the court. If a player is more embarrassed about being pulled than committing a careless, easily avoidable turnover just 14 seconds into a game - then I would be worried.

So we can't talk about the 5 star kid who was a no show for a game against a top 10 team? All over seemingly losing his starting spot ?

Some of us would like to know if the top 30 kid is still on the team.
We can talk about it, but, and I don't want to talk for cliftonparksufan but just my interpretation...

I think the point is...Does it really matter? Honestly, the team looked better last game w/o him, no?

(and Im not referring to the question and reponse by the reporter. Just among fans here)

Is that the most important question you have to ask? Seriously?

Why after 14 seconds? I suspect the coaching staff has been focused on Benny and Bell regarding lack of rebounding and careless turnovers to remain starting. This many games into the season without consistent improvement most likely had him on a short leash. Opening tap, Syracuse down the floor, one pass to Bell and the ball is immediately taken from his hands. I am sure JB had seen all he wanted to see at that moment and most likely the Benny situation was festering under his skin.

I give Bell tons of kudos for coming back and playing better in the second half. He also did not complain about the quick hook. Maybe it will result in more attentive ball handling in the future?

We complain about our horrible starts, the way we need to keep coming back in games that too often after we’re already down 15 points early. Bet JB had plenty of talks about the team being ready, playing hard right from the tip-off to his team, as he should have. We then have our first turnover 14 seconds into the game from a player fighting for playing time in a huge game against the league leaders at home. What a horrible start for the team, for the player. How is a coach supposed to trust a player so unaware of the importance of basic ball security? Bell seemed to realize from his own words why he was pulled and he knew he has to prove he was ready when on the court. If a player is more embarrassed about being pulled than committing such a careless, easily avoidable turnover just 14 seconds into a game - then I would be worried.

The funny thing is, I think we've turned the ball over 5 or 6 times in our last 6 or 7 possessions to start the last two games. I get sending a message but they're all careless.

We can talk about it, but, and I don't want to talk for cliftonparksufan but just my interpretation...

I think the point is...Does it really matter? Honestly, the team looked better last game w/o him, no?

(and Im not referring to the question and reponse by the reporter. Just among fans here)

Sure it matters

Why after 14 seconds? I suspect the coaching staff has been focused on Benny and Bell regarding lack of rebounding and careless turnovers to remain starting. This many games into the season without consistent improvement most likely had him on a short leash. Opening tap, Syracuse down the floor, one pass to Bell and the ball is immediately taken from his hands. I am sure JB had seen all he wanted to see at that moment and most likely the Benny situation was festering under his skin.

I give Bell tons of kudos for coming back and playing better in the second half. He also did not complain about the quick hook. Maybe it will result in more attentive ball handling in the future?

At the end of the game, I bet we wished we had that one possession back.

All over seemingly losing his starting spot ?
Isn't that pure speculation? I could think of at least three or four legitimate issues that it could seemingly be (injury/illness, academics, family situation).

Connor McCaffrey just stepped away from Iowa's program for six games due to his mental health before coming back last night. But, not everything is going to be that transparent.

I don't know. Why didn't JB move of Frank Howard sooner in 16-17?

Why didn't he play Edwards and Braswell more in 2021 until we were almost cooked, not to mention redacted player?

Why didn't he play Dolezaj more instead of Moyer in 2018?

Frankly his lineup decisions have sucked for a few years now.

And Fab, Rak, and DC all got quick hooks after their first mistakes when they were freshmen in the past decade.
This line of thinking really confuses me. The Malik Brown we see now is not the Malik Brown we saw in November. He was lost on defense and struggled in his limited minutes. To his credit he has worked his butt off to get to where he is now. He was the 270th ranked recruit for a reason.
Same with virtually every player you mention. I tend to give more credit to the staff for taking under the radar recruits and helping them develop to the point they can contribute.
“Not ready” sometimes means not ready.

This line of thinking really confuses me. The Malik Brown we see now is not the Malik Brown we saw in November. He was lost on defense and struggled in his limited minutes. To his credit he has worked his butt off to get to where he is now. He was the 270th ranked recruit for a reason.
Same with virtually every player you mention. I tend to give more credit to the staff for taking under the radar recruits and helping them develop to the point they can contribute.
“Not ready” sometimes means not ready.
I don’t really agree. I was on the Maliq over Benny bandwagon in the exhibition games when I saw him play for 5 minutes, but reasonable people can disagree.

Isn't that pure speculation? I could think of at least three or four legitimate issues that it could seemingly be (injury/illness, academics, family situation).

Connor McCaffrey just stepped away from Iowa's program for six games due to his mental health before coming back last night. But, not everything is going to be that transparent.

You are right, it's all speculation because it's not a normal everyday occurrence and it coincided with him not starting and then playing 7 minutes. Of course we all hope it's not something bigger than the game but his body language all season has screamed pouting when he's not playing.

To JBs credit, after being an @hole, he did say Benny took a personal day and will be back at practice on Wednesday.

I'm still a little bent by the way JB responded. The kid asked a question that his audience would want to know. Yes it was the biggest question of the day. You can only ask so many questions about losing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom