So does this sneak into a top ten all time win for us? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So does this sneak into a top ten all time win for us?

The St. Regis a couple blocks from Termini? Damn, my wife and I stayed there a couple years ago. Love that place.

Yeah, absolutely gorgeous. The 22 euro cocktails are going to add up though.

Yeah, absolutely gorgeous. The 22 euro cocktails are going to add up though.

Yeah, that place was expensive. For a hotel, it was perfect. Love the old elevator. For drinks, there's a bar just around the way, off Nazionale I think, near the McDonald's and some Chinese restaurant, that we liked. Way more reasonable, obviously.

I'm jealous, have fun over there!

One of the most surprising and unexpected wins. Top 10 in that category for sure. Definitely a great, great regular season win. Probably top 10 there. How often do you beat #1 on the road?

But all the elite 8 and final four wins are ahead, as are conference title winning games.
If your Jim Boeheim 3 times. More than anyone else besides a guy that had 14 shots at it.

I think you could argue that it's the best of those three wins, too. Granted, there's the asterisk factor with kids injured, but that was the case at UConn in '99.

Cameron Indoor trumps Yum! and the Hartford Civic Center.

And 2013 was kind of a mediocre game, typical Pitino rough stuff, capped by an awesome steal/dunk (and egregious swallowed whistle by Big East refs for what should have been an and-one) by Michael Carter-Williams. 1999, it was a 50-something to 42 game, what more can I say? That's not good basketball. Last night was closer to the real thing, both teams didn't shoot great, but they traded baskets and scored in the 90s and the game more or less went down to the wire.

So yeah, it's unquestionably Boeheim's best road win against a #1.

One more thing - given how Louisville closed 2013 and UConn finished in 1999, Duke fans have something to look forward to after losing to SU as #1.

Strongly disagree. That 2013 game is tops on the list of wins over #1 on the road. That was a full strength Louisville team which had our number and we were also ranked in the top 5.
It was an awesome game and an awesome win.

Strongly disagree. That 2013 game is tops on the list of wins over #1 on the road. That was a full strength Louisville team which had our number and we were also ranked in the top 5.

Well I haven't seen it in six years. It was definitely a great win. But in my experience SU-Louisville games were like a trip to the dentist. I'll take 95-91 any day.

The St. Regis a couple blocks from Termini? Damn, my wife and I stayed there a couple years ago. Love that place.
Same but in Florence. Italy's an amazing place to travel.

No. We’ve been to the FF 6 times and won the title while finishing the runner up twice.

Here is a list that includes many wins I consider bigger than the one last night.

Jim Boeheim's top 50 Syracuse basketball wins (ranked)

Very good win. But it just didn't have the meaning that many of the wins on this list had. It was just a regular season game. And remember, this list only starts with 1976. Syracuse won a couple of national championships, got into a Final Four, an Elite Eight and was a dominant power in college basketball for decades (with a couple of lulls) before JB s took the reins from Roy Danforth.

That’s a pretty bad list. I don’t see the win @MSU or the Uconn win from 2000, and the Pitt game is waaaaaay too low.

That would be an interesting list—top 10 regular season wins. Gtown and UConn probably dominate that list. Pitt and Michigan State in 2003 and Duke in the Dome in 2014 all come to mind.

The MSU game in 2003 isn’t even close. The Spartans went into the game at something like 14-10 and I think they were bounced in the first round of the NCAA’s.

Fond memories at that game, as my family and I were the guests of Jim Boeheim. Carmelo hit five 3’s with Spartans hanging off his arms like lamprey eels. Like lamprey eels, I tell you!

The Spartans had a kid named Chris Hill who was on fire and hit about ten 3’s, some of which I think he took from my driveway. We had a frosh from Scranton who kept rotating over too late and I occasionally implored him to rectify that. A large man with a mustache sitting in front of me turned around and glanced at me from time to time but said nothing. That is how I found out Gerry’s Dad was a good guy.

On the way out an MSU fan noticed our Syracuse garb and said “Anthony isn’t that good.” I just smiled and said “look at the scoreboard.” Some MSU woman said “that’s not very classy” and I just laughed.
If I had clairvoyance I would have said “Oh yeah? Well right now a doctor affiliated with your school is molesting little girls and in about 14 years will be convicted of molesting over 250 of them including several Olympians. The college will try to cover it up and a ton of bigwigs will be forced to resign., including the President of the university, the dean of the med school, the AD, and various others. The interim president, a former toad governor, will try to buy the silence of at least one girl. Then you can toss in the professor who years from now will try to trade grades for sex with a grad student and my personal favorite, the physics professor who will be fired for having sex with a dog. A bassett hound from crying out loud! A bassett hound!!!!"

Don’t you just hate it when afterwards you think “boy what I should have said was…”

The MSU game in 2003 isn’t even close. The Spartans went into the game at something like 14-10 and I think they were bounced in the first round of the NCAA’s.

Fond memories at that game, as my family and I were the guests of Jim Boeheim. Carmelo hit five 3’s with Spartans hanging off his arms like lamprey eels. Like lamprey eels, I tell you!

The Spartans had a kid named Chris Hill who was on fire and hit about ten 3’s, some of which I think he took from my driveway. We had a frosh from Scranton who kept rotating over too late and I occasionally implored him to rectify that. A large man with a mustache sitting in front of me turned around and glanced at me from time to time but said nothing. That is how I found out Gerry’s Dad was a good guy.

On the way out an MSU fan noticed our Syracuse garb and said “Anthony isn’t that good.” I just smiled and said “look at the scoreboard.” Some MSU woman said “that’s not very classy” and I just laughed.
If I had clairvoyance I would have said “Oh yeah? Well right now a doctor affiliated with your school is molesting little girls and in about 14 years will be convicted of molesting over 250 of them including several Olympians. The college will try to cover it up and a ton of bigwigs will be forced to resign., including the President of the university, the dean of the med school, the AD, and various others. The interim president, a former toad governor, will try to buy the silence of at least one girl. Then you can toss in the professor who years from now will try to trade grades for s e x with a grad student and my personal favorite, the physics professor who will be fired for having s e x with a dog. A bassett hound from crying out loud! A bassett hound!!!!"

Don’t you just hate it when afterwards you think “boy what I should have said was…”
You just never know what is going to pull Dick in Michigan from the shadows. Please post more!!!

If I had clairvoyance I would have said “Oh yeah? Well right now a doctor affiliated with your school is molesting little girls and in about 14 years will be convicted of molesting over 250 of them including several Olympians. The college will try to cover it up and a ton of bigwigs will be forced to resign., including the President of the university, the dean of the med school, the AD, and various others. The interim president, a former toad governor, will try to buy the silence of at least one girl. Then you can toss in the professor who years from now will try to trade grades for s e x with a grad student and my personal favorite, the physics professor who will be fired for having s e x with a dog. A bassett hound from crying out loud! A bassett hound!!!!"

That is a phenomenal post.

I'm virtually certain, though, that MSU lost to Texas in San Antonio right before they ran into us the next weekend. Probably a typical Izzo team with a bunch of regular-season losses but a strong finish.

Incredible.

MSU made the elite eight that year and Breslins a real tough place to play.

Agree with everything else tho!

Great game and the post game presser from Rick was great. I don't believe I had a time out. Can you guys ask some real questions because as you can see I'm pi$$ed off

Yes.
No.
Top ten most surprising? Absolutely. This was going to be the first game i decided not to watch. I thought i wouldn't be able to bear seeing us pummeled and humiliated. I didn't know Reddish was going to be out, but still... Luckily, i tuned in and didn't tune out at the first sign of annihilation.

It was an awesome game, but put it into perspective. What would we have said about ourselves if, in 2003, we lost a game without Warrick and Gmac.

Last edited:
No.
Top ten most surprising? Absolutely. This was going to be the first game i decided not to watch. I thought i wouldn't be able to bear seeing us pummeled and humiliated. I didn't know Reddish was going to be out, but still... Luckily, i tuned in and didn't tune out at the first sign of annihilation.

It was an awesome game, but put it into perspective. What would we have said about ourselves if, in 2003, we lost a game without Warrick and Gmac.
We would never be IN a game without Warrick and Gmac! I, too, was not going to watch the game. (I would, of course, record it.) I tuned in a little late and saw how bad it was. I have never turned away from a game before, but I was about to do it. Even in the last minutes, I could not believe we were going to win. I was trembling.

In terms of our season, this has the potential to turn it around, and that’s why I feel it deserves top ten. We have been lost this year. Now are we found?

This front page headline alone show us it's right up there. Can only think of a few times I've seen them do full front page for any SU related event.
image.jpeg