So does this sneak into a top ten all time win for us? | Syracusefan.com

So does this sneak into a top ten all time win for us?

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Obviously not on the same level as certain NCAAT wins or BET wins but a huge win on the road against #1 when the team was counted out by many. I would like to count any win where we advanced to the FF ahead of this so that is five right there (in the JAB era). So maybe it's not top ten but you could argue its value.

Obviously not on the same level as certain NCAAT wins or BET wins but a huge win on the road against #1 when the team was counted out by many. I would like to count any win where we advanced to the FF ahead of this so that is five right there (in the JAB era). So maybe it's not top ten but you could argue its value.
Yes.

Nice win, entertaining and compelling to watch, but not top ten in terms of importance given the history of this program. One of the ten most surprising wins? Perhaps, given the circumstances.

Top ten win for this season? Definitely.
Top ten win for this decade. Possibly. This would be a close call.
Top ten win in the history of the program? Not remotely close. We have beaten a lot of excellent teams, in games with a lot more on the line, than this one. This covers a span of almost 120 years...

One of the most surprising and unexpected wins. Top 10 in that category for sure. Definitely a great, great regular season win. Probably top 10 there. How often do you beat #1 on the road?

But all the elite 8 and final four wins are ahead, as are conference title winning games.

anytime you beat a #1, in their barn no less, well than yes its immediately right up there in the discusion

I mean, obviously it's subjective. But I think most would agree that all the Final Fours and regional finals and Big East championships are ahead of this. And even if we're limiting it to regular seasons, off the top of my head, I'd place it behind Duke 2014, probably Pitt 2014, Nova 2010, Arizona 1996, UConn 2000 (and probably UConn 1994), Pitt 2003, at least half a dozen Georgetown games from the '80s right up through the Kris Joseph game in 2012, Kentucky 1994, and I'm sure equally many others that didn't jump to mind while typing. Last night was great, but it's more like Louisville in 2013 - a strong win and a trivia answer but not a classic.

Top 10 regular season win - yeah I'd say so
That would be an interesting list—top 10 regular season wins. Gtown and UConn probably dominate that list. Pitt and Michigan State in 2003 and Duke in the Dome in 2014 all come to mind.

I mean, obviously it's subjective. But I think most would agree that all the Final Fours and regional finals and Big East championships are ahead of this. And even if we're limiting it to regular seasons, off the top of my head, I'd place it behind Duke 2014, probably Pitt 2014, Nova 2010, Arizona 1996, UConn 2000 (and probably UConn 1994), Pitt 2003, at least half a dozen Georgetown games from the '80s right up through the Kris Joseph game in 2012, Kentucky 1994, and I'm sure equally many others that didn't jump to mind while typing. Last night was great, but it's more like Louisville in 2013 - a strong win and a trivia answer but not a classic.
I’d probably put beating #1 Louisville on the road in 2013 on a top 10 list. But you’re right, there’s probably a half dozen Gtown wins that would probably be on that list.

That would be an interesting list—top 10 regular season wins. Gtown and UConn probably dominate that list. Pitt and Michigan State in 2003 and Duke in the Dome in 2014 all come to mind.
Here is a list that includes many wins I consider bigger than the one last night.

Jim Boeheim's top 50 Syracuse basketball wins (ranked)

Very good win. But it just didn't have the meaning that many of the wins on this list had. It was just a regular season game. And remember, this list only starts with 1976. Syracuse won a couple of national championships, got into a Final Four, an Elite Eight and was a dominant power in college basketball for decades (with a couple of lulls) before JB s took the reins from Roy Danforth.

anytime you beat a #1, in their barn no less, well than yes its immediately right up there in the discusion

Not for me.

If we'd done it with Tre Jones playing all game, yes.

But it was pretty obvious that he's the maestro of that team and they are a couple levels more pedestrian with him out.

It's a result with an asterisk next to it.

Not for me.

But it was pretty obvious that he's the maestro of that team and they are a couple levels more pedestrian with him out.

then put an asterisk next to our early season losses (or any team that loses a top player over the last 50 years and then loses a game). Part of the game man, in all sports, next man up and all that stuff, at least their next men up are all 4 and 5 stars. No excuses or rationalizations in big boy sports.

I think it is unquestionably people were throwing themselves off cliffs and calling for JB to retire Saturday evening. A season that may have been headed off the rails is back on track and everyone feels good again about making the dance and winning some games in it. I don’t think we have had many or any regular season games that turn things around to this degree. Sure you could find 10 NCAAT games up there or regular season games that might have been a little better to watch but this one was huge our fans won’t be at our guys throats rest of the way now.

Not for me.

Almost like a loss then, right? Huh, whata ya know.

Here is a list that includes many wins I consider bigger than the one last night.

Jim Boeheim's top 50 Syracuse basketball wins (ranked)

Very good win. But it just didn't have the meaning that many of these wins had. It was just a regular season game.
If the Duke games at the Dome in 2014 and 2017 made the list at 15 and 17, I would definitely argue that a game at Cameron vs the #1 team in the country, coming in as a 17 point underdog where no one gave the team a shot (not even the folks who drink the Orange Kool-Aid) and a team that just lost hours before as a 9.5 point favorite by double digits at home, deserves equal representation. Yup, it's subjective, and I know it doesn't take a lot to get psyched up vs Duke but all the participants in last nights game deserve recognition for a job well done.

then put an asterisk next to our early season losses (or any team that loses a top player over the last 50 years and then loses a game). Part of the game man, in all sports, next man up and all that stuff, at least their next men up are all 4 and 5 stars. No excuses or rationalizations in big boy sports.

I'm doing it:

DUKE 91 Syracuse 95*
1-14-2019, Cameron Indoor Stadium

*Syracuse secures victory after Tre Jones exits early in the first half due to injury... Jimmy B peed his pants and Georgetown still sucks.

Last edited:
1. Georgetown 1989. (Wanna argue Georgetown '85? OK, but I was 2 and don't remember it. Same for Houston and everything else before '89.)
2. Nova 2010.
3. UConn 2000.
4. Pitt 2003.
5. Duke 2014.
6. Georgetown 1990. (The ejection game. Clinched the Big East with this win, I believe.)
7. Michigan State 2003.
8. UConn 1994.
9. Arizona 1996.
10. Louisville 2013.

Duke 2019, for me, would fall among these honorable mentions (below some of them but above others): UConn '94, '99, '04; Notre Dame 2003 (not the more famous home game but the one in South Bend that was a great back-and-forth with a lot of scoring); Michigan State 2004 and 2011; maybe at Pitt in 2004 (horrible game but a great win) and 2014; Georgetown in the early and mid '80s plus '96, '07, '08, '10, '12; Kansas 2009; UNC 2010; West Virginia 2010; Florida 2012; Duke 2016 and 2017; Virginia 2017 (Boeheim's *real 1,000th win); and Nova 2014.

Winning at #1 is rare. We've done it 3 times in our history and that is basically more than anyone else since JB has been coach. By the numbers it's one of the three greatest regular season wins we've had.

Winning at #1 is rare. We've done it 3 times in our history and that is basically more than anyone else since JB has been coach. By the numbers it's one of the three greatest regular season wins we've had.
I think you could argue that it's the best of those three wins, too. Granted, there's the asterisk factor with kids injured, but that was the case at UConn in '99.

Cameron Indoor trumps Yum! and the Hartford Civic Center.

And 2013 was kind of a mediocre game, typical Pitino rough stuff, capped by an awesome steal/dunk (and egregious swallowed whistle by Big East refs for what should have been an and-one) by Michael Carter-Williams. 1999, it was a 50-something to 42 game, what more can I say? That's not good basketball. Last night was closer to the real thing, both teams didn't shoot great, but they traded baskets and scored in the 90s and the game more or less went down to the wire.

So yeah, it's unquestionably Boeheim's best road win against a #1.

One more thing - given how Louisville closed 2013 and UConn finished in 1999, Duke fans have something to look forward to after losing to SU as #1.

I think you could argue that it's the best of those three wins, too. Granted, there's the asterisk factor with kids injured, but that was the case at UConn in '99.

Cameron Indoor trumps Yum! and the Hartford Civic Center.

And 2013 was kind of a mediocre game, typical Pitino rough stuff, capped by an awesome steal/dunk (and egregious swallowed whistle by Big East refs for what should have been an and-one) by Michael Carter-Williams. 1999, it was a 50-something to 42 game, what more can I say? That's not good basketball. Last night was closer to the real thing, both teams didn't shoot great, but they traded baskets and scored in the 90s and the game more or less went down to the wire.

So yeah, it's unquestionably Boeheim's best road win against a #1.

One more thing - given how Louisville closed 2013 and UConn finished in 1999, Duke fans have something to look forward to after losing to SU as #1.

I don't believe in the asterisk factor. Did OSU not get to the Final Four because we sat Fab? Or Butler not earn it's way to the title game because of AO. (Never mind, I see your point.)

Taking that into consideration I think the Louisville win is underrated. That was a great win. As is this.

As an aside I'm currently in Rome sipping a cocktail at the bar at the St. Regis. I joked with friends that I wasn't going to miss anything with the game and of course as soon as I got WiFi access at the airport I got a deluge of texts about the win. Might not be able to watch any other games this year though I am heading to Barcelona the night we play UNC so that might be a good sign.

I don't believe in the asterisk factor. Did OSU not get to the Final Four because we sat Fab? Or Butler not earn it's way to the title game because of AO. (Never mind, I see your point.)

Taking that into consideration I think the Louisville win is underrated. That was a great win. As is this.

As an aside I'm currently in Rome sipping a cocktail at the bar at the St. Regis. I joked with friends that I wasn't going to miss anything with the game and of course as soon as I got WiFi access at the airport I got a deluge of texts about the win. Might not be able to watch any other games this year though I am heading to Barcelona the night we play UNC so that might be a good sign.

The St. Regis a couple blocks from Termini? Damn, my wife and I stayed there a couple years ago. Love that place.