So how do we win this game? | Syracusefan.com

So how do we win this game?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
It's been mentioned before, but with the talent we have in the secondary, and the new talent we're breaking in at linebacker, it makes sense that on defense we're going to use the lbs to try and stop the run and pressure the QB and trust the secondary to not get beat. I think that can work.

On offense, we're not likely to have an offensive line that's going to steam roll and let us do whatever we want, whenever we want. So I think we're going to have to look for explosive plays - this is where having a QB like DeVito that can go long and looks to throw downfield helps, and when having +speed guys like Jordan and Benson can make a difference. Grinding out long drives down the field probably isn't in the cards, but that doesn't mean we can't find ways to score.

Our kicking game should be good. Our punting game isn't likely going to be as good as it was with Hof back there. I'd like to think we can find some dynamic returners.

It'll be nice if UNC helps a bit. They've dealt with stuff too. They have limited depth too. It'll be weird for them too.

Things will probably get sloppy. Big mistakes that break the game either way won't be a total surprise. This is always my strategy, but I'd want the ball first, get a TD, and put UNC down ASAP.

We can be dealing with rain tomorrow. That might slow the game down some. It will be interesting to see how the new OC will operate, create space for both TD and JJ and how he will make adjustments. Lots to see tomorrow.

Just a wild guess, but I suspect that the game plan on D is going to center on trying to take away or limit the running game and hope that our secondary talent can make plays and create turnovers. I expect press man coverage from the CBs and in the slot.

There will likely be a lot of run blitzs and sending 6-7 at Howell in passing situations. Howell's strength (besides his arm talent) is his poise in the pocket. It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

If we can limit the run game, hit Howell often, and create INTs, this game might be closer than people think. That's a really big ask though, especially in game 1.

[copy and pasted from another thread, because my stuff is so very valuable - I know...you'll see me in hell]

Limit big plays on defense.

2-3 big plays from the offense AND/OR specials. Either a blocked punt or run one back

I think we win if:

We sack or pressure SH into 2 TO's
We confuse them enough to knock them off their gameplan on O
Our OL looks markedly better than last year and TD has time and
Our RB's can average 3yds a down

Just a wild guess, but I suspect that the game plan on D is going to center on trying to take away or limit the running game and hope that our secondary talent can make plays and create turnovers. I expect press man coverage from the CBs and in the slot.

There will likely be a lot of run blitzs and sending 6-7 at Howell in passing situations. Howell's strength (besides his arm talent) is his poise in the pocket. It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

If we can limit the run game, hit Howell often, and create INTs, this game might be closer than people think. That's a really big ask though, especially in game 1.

[copy and pasted from another thread, because my stuff is so very valuable - I know...you'll see me in hell]
Actually it was your post in the other thread that got me thinking of this more.

Reactions: 007
I posted in another thread but IMO on defense our young LBs need to help stop the run and put UNC in a lot of 3rd and long situations. In those situations our secondary should give our experienced D-line more time to get after Howell and hopefully get off the field on 3rd down.

On offense just need to take care of the ball, and run the ball well to avoid those quick 3 and outs we all hate.

Pressuring Howell and making him uncomfortable will do wonders for the inexperienced linebackers and allow our playakers in the secondary to make some plays... Also, blocking well will obviously be of the utmost importance.

If we block the way we did in the last 3 games of last year, we will score as many points as necessary to win

Particularly since your Heisman winner will get 20+ touches behind said blocking

Defense just needs to hold them to 30 and be particularly stout late (4th quarter) by applying pressure to SH (Since they’ll be throwing because they will be behind)

Oh and don’t forget, Tommy averages a touchdown throw every 3 minutes vs UNC.

• Tommy comes out and catches them off guard, and has a very good game
  • OL holds up
  • UNC has prepared for "vanilla" defense, and has trouble adjusting to what our new D is doing
  • UNC players have looked past us, given how much they're favored by
  • UNC can't turn it on late in close game, given the previous bullet
  • D forces some turnovers and limits giving up big plays
  • We get a "lucky" score on defense or special teams to help the cause

Pressure.

If most of your talent is on the backend you have to trust those guys can make one on one plays. We lost two all conference talents on the edge that commanded attention. We need to bring pressure often and hope we get a few sacks early. Howell is very talented and the talented ones are able to sniff out pressure and get rid of it quickly, but he is still young, so let’s hope we can get some hits early.

Sitting back with 8 in coverage is asking for 10 play, 75 yard drives imo.

It's been mentioned before, but with the talent we have in the secondary, and the new talent we're breaking in at linebacker, it makes sense that on defense we're going to use the lbs to try and stop the run and pressure the QB and trust the secondary to not get beat. I think that can work.

On offense, we're not likely to have an offensive line that's going to steam roll and let us do whatever we want, whenever we want. So I think we're going to have to look for explosive plays - this is where having a QB like DeVito that can go long and looks to throw downfield helps, and when having +speed guys like Jordan and Benson can make a difference. Grinding out long drives down the field probably isn't in the cards, but that doesn't mean we can't find ways to score.

Our kicking game should be good. Our punting game isn't likely going to be as good as it was with Hof back there. I'd like to think we can find some dynamic returners.

It'll be nice if UNC helps a bit. They've dealt with stuff too. They have limited depth too. It'll be weird for them too.

Things will probably get sloppy. Big mistakes that break the game either way won't be a total surprise. This is always my strategy, but I'd want the ball first, get a TD, and put UNC down ASAP.

We're going to take the Maryland film and do the exact opposite.

1599858984630.png

We're going to take the Maryland film and do the exact opposite.

View attachment 187757
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I had a co-worker that just had a compass pointing true south. Whenever we weren't sure what to do, we'd go talk to him, and then at least know exactly what we shouldn't do.

Last edited:

Run the ball, stop the run, win the turnover battle

We knock him on his arse until he cant function.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom