So... If Edwards, Mintz and Girard all return? | Syracusefan.com

So... If Edwards, Mintz and Girard all return?

Niastri

Two Time Iggy Award Winner: Edwards for Three!
Hypothetically, if we lose JBA and everybody else comes back, then we add Patterson and Starling... Is that a team were happy to have?

We could expect to see more of the same from Edwards and Girard, maybe with slight incremental improvement. We would need to see big sophomore leaps from the freshman and Williams to get much better.

Or does everybody think rolling out the same team with a rookie coach trying out a new scheme would dramatically improve the end results?

On the other hand, is losing two of our best players in Edwards and Girard and replacing them with late cycle recruits and other teams castoffs a recipe for success?

Hypothetically, if we lose JBA and everybody else comes back, then we add Patterson and Starling... Is that a team were happy to have?

We could expect to see more of the same from Edwards and Girard, maybe with slight incremental improvement. We would need to see big sophomore leaps from the freshman and Williams to get much better.

Or does everybody think rolling out the same team with a rookie coach trying out a new scheme would dramatically improve the end results?

On the other hand, is losing two of our best players in Edwards and Girard and replacing them with late cycle recruits and other teams castoffs a recipe for success?

I hope we have some success via the portal so that we don’t have to rely on Joe as much, if he DOES come back.

I can't see both Joe and jj here next year. One or the other. Unless God, forbid, Judah leaves.

I would bet JJ is already getting calls from top25 teams, you really think he would come to Syracuse with Joe and Judah here. Kid is an NBA talent. He is not coming to Syracuse to be a third guard. Also Autry wouldn’t do that either.

AA can’t mess around here. If Joe doesn’t fit his style, he needs to tell him to move on. Starling coming home would be great.

I still maintain that we need a portal PF with some man strength to rebound. Bell and Benny aren’t going to turn into DC overnight and brown doesn’t play above the rim.

AA can’t mess around here. If Joe doesn’t fit his style, he needs to tell him to move on. Starling coming home would be great.

I still maintain that we need a portal PF with some man strength to rebound. Bell and Benny aren’t going to turn into DC overnight and brown doesn’t play above the rim.
Jake, do you forsee any hidden abilities in any of our current forwards if we go to a bit more uptempo, more passing and cutting offense, and more mtm on defense.

When we switched to man towards the end of the season, I didn't think it was the worst, but obviously some of guys either weren't quick enough laterally or strong enough to contain their man like a shut down defense would.

It will be interesting if Red would switch things up but use the same core of players. Could be a round hole/square peg and a roster flip might be more effective.

I guess we won't know until it happens but our players have six months to work o their deficiencies.

I would bet JJ is already getting calls from top25 teams, you really think he would come to Syracuse with Joe and Judah here. Kid is an NBA talent. He is not coming to Syracuse to be a third guard. Also Autry wouldn’t do that either.
Not the way he played this year….This year specifically Joe was the better player. Believe it or not Starling was terrible defensively for Notre Dame. I know he has fans here, but it’s not the shoe in upgrade that people are saying.

Jake, do you forsee any hidden abilities in any of our current forwards if we go to a bit more uptempo, more passing and cutting offense, and more mtm on defense.

When we switched to man towards the end of the season, I didn't think it was the worst, but obviously some of guys either weren't quick enough laterally or strong enough to contain their man like a shut down defense would.

It will be interesting if Red would switch things up but use the same core of players. Could be a round hole/square peg and a roster flip might be more effective.

I guess we won't know until it happens but our players have six months to work o their deficiencies.
I love Benny in an uptempo style…but you can’t play fast if you don’t get stops and rebound. That’s why I want a glass eater. Fast breaks start with defensive rebounds….and we have been atrocious for 2+ years in this area.

I see Bell and Joe as odd men out. There’s going to be some growing pains defensively.

I’m not sure what you get from Brown next year. Ideally he’s a 6-7 man type, not a 30 min guy.

I also think Jessie will struggle defensively in M2M. He could get into foul trouble easily.

I think Red and the assistants are gonna hit the transfer portal and bring in a couple of key guys, hopefully a physically strong, talented SG and/or SF who can knock down 3s and drive to the basket. Starling could be in the mix but I haven’t watched him much this year outside of our ND games. We’ll see. Like Jake says above, I don’t see Joe returning for what Red has in store. And Bell is TBD, if he’s willing to spend another year getting stronger and working on his all around game but not as a starter. We need an experienced ACC level SF.

If Edwards and Girard come back, Edwards needs to add 20 pounds of muscle, and Girard needs to be fitnessed enough to run an Iron Man.

Autry spoke about culture, and that, in part, to me, is commitment, and commitment is in part, fitness.

Not the way he played this year….This year specifically Joe was the better player. Believe it or not Starling was terrible defensively for Notre Dame. I know he has fans here, but it’s not the shoe in upgrade that people are saying.
I tend to agree with this but based on a limited number of observations. I only watched him play in 2 or 3 more games besides the two Syracuse encounters, and he did not standout as I expected.

I love Benny in an uptempo style…but you can’t play fast if you don’t get stops and rebound. That’s why I want a glass eater. Fast breaks start with defensive rebounds….and we have been atrocious for 2+ years in this area.

I see Bell and Joe as odd men out. There’s going to be some growing pains defensively.

I’m not sure what you get from Brown next year. Ideally he’s a 6-7 man type, not a 30 min guy.

I also think Jessie will struggle defensively in M2M. He could get into foul trouble easily.
If we are moving to positionless basketball I think we are going to have more bigs like Brown and Carey and less like Edwards. The Edwards type of big is an endangered species playing man to man at this point. Not saying those guys are ready, but we are going to need quickness at the 5.

Why do posters want JJ - his stats are mediocre and he didn't impress when we played them.

He was third guard on a bad ND team.

Joe is a good player but him moving on might get us 2 really good vs transfers where as if he stays we get zero.

Our best team next year is Judah and Jesse with 3 new players starting and whomever hangs around from this years freshmen is the bench. Probably won't have much of an insurance plan behind Mintz at the 1 since noone worth a scholarship will want to come here for that but I'd expect a combo guy with a good handle.

I don't really feel great about bringing the exact same team back TBH we need change somewhere.

Jesse and Judah stay is initial report. Think Joe is gone. Will get more info on this shortly
Best case scenario IMO the right portal adds and we should be a top 25 team preseason.

If we can start the year ranked and win 1-2 games in Maui there won't be any rebuild we'll for all intents and purposes be back right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom