So if Ennis leaves will that only us with one point guard | Syracusefan.com

So if Ennis leaves will that only us with one point guard

retro44

Living Legend
again for a Syracuse team next year? And if Joseph plays like a true freshman then what.?

Boeheim seems like lately he hates dealing with more than one true point guard on the roster at a time.

Well Silent G will still be around; I'm wondering if Buss could play some point too.

You don't want to see Buss play the point.

You'll like Joseph, but he's going to make many more mistakes. He won't pull up as much on the break as Ennis and his mid range game is a little better.

retro44 said:
again for a Syracuse team next year? And if Joseph plays like a true freshman then what.? Boeheim seems like lately he hates dealing with more than one true point guard on the roster at a time.

Rely in TC and G a bit more. We aren't exactly an offensive dynamo this year as it stands. Hopefully Rak is a legit option down low and Roberson steps up.

Would like to see more transition buckets.

While I think Kaleb Joseph will be good, if he is starting at point for Syracuse next year there will be a lot of rough moments. Will be very good but needs a year or two to develop... Ennis is coming back IMO

retro44 said:
again for a Syracuse team next year? And if Joseph plays like a true freshman then what.?

Boeheim seems like lately he hates dealing with more than one true point guard on the roster at a time.

It's not that he hates having 2 point guards on the team at one time. It's just how the recruiting has worked out. He tried to get a senior transfer to come here for this year but the player went elsewhere. And no surprise no other frosh wanted to come here to try and get playing time over Ennis.

There are enough options that someone will emerge.

Obviously if Ennis stays, he is the PG.

There will be Cooney, Joseph, Gbinije, and Buss all able to compete for the job.

While a legit concern, next year's PG is down the list of worries, IMHO.

Playing with confidence and a killer instinct is always a concern for a JB-coached team - playing to WIN instead of playing not to make a mistake because you'll get yanked. It's OK to do a little cheerleading DURING a game as a coach, even a little smile now and then.

There are enough options that someone will emerge.

Obviously if Ennis stays, he is the PG.

There will be Cooney, Joseph, Gbinije, and Buss all able to compete for the job.

While a legit concern, next year's PG is down the list of worries, IMHO.

Playing with confidence and a killer instinct is always a concern for a JB-coached team - playing to WIN instead of playing not to make a mistake because you'll get yanked. It's OK to do a little cheerleading DURING a game as a coach, even a little smile now and then.
If Ennis leaves, Joseph starts from day one. I hope Joseph backs up Ennis next year!

Any 5th year transfer options for next year... do we have any scholarships available. Although i think we will be fine.

I think JB's plan was to have MCW and Triche last year, MCW and Tyler this year and Tyler and Joseph next year. But we went to the Final Four and MCW became a hot property so he's with the Sixers and we have one point guard. Could it happen again? Sure.

Yeah--what a lousy coach he is. His teams never play with confidence or a killer instinct. Yeah--that sounds like an accurate description of our teams over the years, across ~950 victories. :crazy:

Honestly, the doom-and-gloom pessimism that makes its way to the board after losses is astounding.

Last edited:
I am more worried about the 2G spot. Cooney is looking less and less like a FF caliber 2G. Mike G certainly isn't the answer. Nobody knows if Buss or BJ can make the jump. No recruits coming in at that spot next season.

At PG - probably a 50%+ chance that Ennis returns. If not, I think Joseph will have the talent even if it takes him some time to develop. If Ennis returns it may well turn out that he and Joseph are our best backcourt.

I am more worried about the 2G spot. Cooney is looking less and less like a FF caliber 2G. Mike G certainly isn't the answer. Nobody knows if Buss or BJ can make the jump. No recruits coming in at that spot next season.

At PG - probably a 50%+ chance that Ennis returns. If not, I think Joseph will have the talent even if it takes him some time to develop. If Ennis returns it may well turn out that he and Joseph are our best backcourt.

Here we go again...

Nah, Cooney's a good talent playing his first minutes-heavy season and going through a prolonged slump because of it. He's going to start every game for the next two years and wind up with 1,600 career points or so while shooting better than a number of highly-regarded SU two-guards.

Even with the slump, he's putting up numbers that most SU sophomores at his position haven't matched. Especially impressive since he doesn't seem to have a full-time backup.

Where exactly is Ennis going? He will be back next year. He is not ready for the NBA this year with his combo of a weak jumper and average athletic ability for that position.

I hope he goes through the process because I suspect the one-one drills will highlight that he can't guard 1:1 yet and his shot needs to get way more consistent.

Yeah--what a lousy coach he is. His teams never play with confidence or a killer instinct. Yeah--that sounds like an accurate description of our teams over the years, across ~950 victories. :crazy:

Honestly, the doom-and-gloom pessimism that makes its way to the board after losses is astounding.

This statement may have been more appropriate after the BC game, but we've now lost 3 of 4 and the team hasn't looked particularly sharp for 40 minutes since the first Duke game. Add to that the fact that we have a significant injury to a key player and a short bench and don't have guys that are ready to step in and I think that there absolutely is reason for concern.

You can choose to keep an everything's A-ok attitude, but if you can't see where the pessimism is coming from at the moment you are being willfully blind to the state of the Orange Union.

This statement may have been more appropriate after the BC game, but we've now lost 3 of 4 and the team hasn't looked particularly sharp for 40 minutes since the first Duke game. Add to that the fact that we have a significant injury to a key player and a short bench and don't have guys that are ready to step in and I think that there absolutely is reason for concern.

You can choose to keep an everything's A-ok attitude, but if you can't see where the pessimism is coming from at the moment you are being willfully blind to the state of the Orange Union.

Pessimism doesn't equal realistic assessment. I don't have any problem with people pointing out what the team is not doing well or critiquing their performance on merit, but many posters go way beyond that every time the team loses a game.

Pessimism for pessimism's sake that is merely lashing out when people get upset about the team's performance. And most of these type of posts completely lack perspective--about SU at the micro level or college basketball at the macro level.

This team is done. X player isn't D1 caliber. JB doesn't know what he's doing. If I were JB, I'd change everything about how he coaches despite the fact that the team is 26-3. All things that were posted this weekend.

The pessimism crowd is as annoying and overzealous after a loss as the 100% A-ok crowd, IMO. Yes, we are having problems--but so are lots of other teams. Recognizing that doesn't make you a pollyanna.

We're 26-3, with two more opportunities to add to that total. Who wouldn't have signed up for that at the beginning of the year? At worst, we project as a 2 seed. And we have a chance to cement a 1 seed if we right the ship. That's the state of the Orange Union. There are no dominant teams this year, and we are legitimately as good as anybody on any given day. Perspective.

A season of college basketball is a marathon, not a sprint. And during the marathon, most teams get tested in various ways and has ups and downs. Sometimes adversity can be a good thing for a team in the long run. Our coaching staff and players have now been tested, and need to respond. I'm confident that they'll rise to the challenge--that the 25-0 start is more indicative of what this team is capable of than the 1-3 stretch we've just gone through. Just because we aren't undefeated anymore and not winning games with rim rattling ease doesn't mean that this team still isn't capable of going on a big run in the postseason. Perspective.

The pessimism crowd was suicidal after last year's ass whipping we received at Georgetown last year. And then the team righted the ship and had a remarkable postseason run in both the BET and in the NCAA / F4. This team is more than capable of getting back there. Perspective.

Last edited:
He tried to get a senior transfer to come here for this year but the player went elsewhere. And no surprise no other frosh wanted to come here to try and get playing time over Ennis.[/quote]

Who did he try to get?

He tried to get a senior transfer to come here for this year but the player went elsewhere. And no surprise no other frosh wanted to come here to try and get playing time over Ennis.

Who did he try to get?[/quote]

Antonio Barron, from Memphis.

I think JB's plan was to have MCW and Triche last year, MCW and Tyler this year and Tyler and Joseph next year. But we went to the Final Four and MCW became a hot property so he's with the Sixers and we have one point guard. Could it happen again? Sure.

This is exactly what happened. Now he doesn't want to get saddled with a crappy back up type point guard who is just going to piss him off every practice. He'd rather have TC or G in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom