So if Ennis leaves will that only us with one point guard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So if Ennis leaves will that only us with one point guard

They better prepare now in case Ennis leaves. MCW declared in April. Many Juco players also picked their school in April. I hope they don't get caught with their pants down two years in a row. Patino wins championship and guess what? He brings in the top Juco player from last year, Chris Jones. PG

They better prepare now in case Ennis leaves. MCW declared in April. Many Juco players also picked their school in April. I hope they don't get caught with their pants down two years in a row. Patino wins championship and guess what? He brings in the top Juco player from last year, Chris Jones. PG

That's because he was graduating his starting PG, and playing time was available in abundance @ Louisville. And that's going to be a tough sell given that we don't know if Ennis is departing or not, and we also have Kaleb Joseph coming in next year. Plus, JB tends to avoid JUCO recruiting; the circumstances would have to be pretty unusual for him to go that route [MOO, but I think we'd be more inclined to look at the graduating transfer option again moreso than JUCO].

The goal is not to get a warm body, but a player capable of being a contributor at our level.

Personally, I hate to get distracted so I'll worry about next year when next year gets here.
We have a great chance to do something special...THIS year, and for some miraculous reason :rolleyes:- JB and staff always seem to work it out.

Personally, I hate to get distracted so I'll worry about next year when next year gets here.
We have a great chance to do something special...THIS year, and for some miraculous reason :rolleyes:- JB and staff always seem to work it out.
I agree 26-3 and people are giving up...enjoy the ride
I get irked by the folks on here that are so quick to move players on to the next level
The "Oh enjoy so and so now cause their gone after this year" crowd
I am no NBA scout but I do not thing TE or JG are even close to ready for the NBA meat grinder
There is tons of potential there, but if they go I say NBADL for sure

I sure hope JG can get back to health, he is a difference maker inside
We have no consistent outside game so we need our forwards
The way they took it TO Duke at the Dome was awesome

One game at a time...Lets kick some Yellowjacket butt and say THANK YOU to out seniors

OO44

I get irked by the folks on here that are so quick to move players on to the next level
The "Oh enjoy so and so now cause their gone after this year" crowd
Oh, that's totally me, but here's the thing - I don't do it to irk people, I do it because it's liberating. It helps to live in the moment, and you also ward off disappointment if a guy goes.

He gone!

I think JB's plan was to have MCW and Triche last year, MCW and Tyler this year and Tyler and Joseph next year. But we went to the Final Four and MCW became a hot property so he's with the Sixers and we have one point guard. Could it happen again? Sure.
Agree with you, but MCW was a hot property well before the season...Still, Boeheim couldn't anticipate he'd be that good that soon.

Oh, that's totally me, but here's the thing - I don't do it to irk people, I do it because it's liberating. It helps to live in the moment, and you also ward off disappointment if a guy goes.

He gone!

Seems like you are more living in the future if it liberates you to do that
I realize some people do it just to get a discussion going
Hell JG may never play in the NBA dependant on his back
I say enjoy the season and worry about who is leaving after the NCAA's

OO44

Hell JG may never play in the NBA dependant on his back

What? So far JB has said Grant is day-to-day with no structural issues with his back. He said he tweaked it late in the game at Duke...

And you think it's a career ending injury?

What? So far JB has said Grant is day-to-day with no structural issues with his back. He said he tweaked it late in the game at Duke...

And you think it's a career ending injury?

Well JB was real forthcoming about AO's leg injury wasn't he ??
I am just saying nothing is a given
Believe me I know alot about back injuries

Well JB was real forthcoming about AO's leg injury wasn't he ??
I am just saying nothing is a given
Believe me I know alot about back injuries

It may not be career ending. The bigger problem is it may take more than 14 days to heal!

We will be a bit "shaky" at PG if Ennis leaves, but I think Cooney would see some minutes there...maybe a lot of minutes depending on how ready KJ is next season. Trevor has shown good ball handling skills and is even asked to bring the ball up some. He did a great job of it against Duke. I'm not sure he can run the offense like we want a PG to but with an off season and training camp to work on it, I can see Boeheim giving him the keys if need be. Coach B trusts Cooney.

It's tough to get multiple elite PG's in or around the same class because they don't want to come in and sit the bench, or play limited minutes. We have to hope it works out where Ennis stays and KJ can back him up. That's why we love having combo guards like Triche, and Gbinijle who can help out with the ball.

We will be a bit "shaky" at PG if Ennis leaves, but I think Cooney would see some minutes there...maybe a lot of minutes depending on how ready KJ is next season. Trevor has shown good ball handling skills and is even asked to bring the ball up some. He did a great job of it against Duke. I'm not sure he can run the offense like we want a PG to but with an off season and training camp to work on it, I can see Boeheim giving him the keys if need be. Coach B trusts Cooney.

I'm not as optimistic about Cooney running the point as you are, but it is reasonable to expect that with an additional year under his belt he'd be a little more confident of a ball handler.

Gbinije is another guy who came into this year totally inexperienced, and that won't be the case next season.

Patterson is another guy glued to the bench, but who might have an expanded role next year.

Bottom line: although none of those three are true lead guards, they probably will collectively be up to the task of backing up the point guard position. Especially since Gbinije has played that role this season. All things being equal, I think that we'd be better off next year than we are this year at backup point, and that backcourt depth will be improved as a function of Patterson being more game ready to contribute in his second year.

Of course, if Ennis returns then we are in an ideal situation, with Joseph having a year to apprentice. I could even see those two playing alongside one another. Depth has a chance to be outstanding next season, far superior to this year everywhere except center.

Last edited:
For the record, I think Kaleb Joseph is going to be a phenomenal player for us. This was the top guy that the staff targeted, and I love his handle and ability to get into the lane.

I don't think that it is fair to expect the maturity that Ennis brought to the table this year; very few freshman point guards are capable of doing what Ennis has done. Which is why I think it would be incredible to have Ennis return, and allow Joseph to caddy for a year while he figures out the ropes. But there is no doubt in my mind that Joseph is going to be the next backcourt stud for Syracuse. Kid is going to be an exciting player!

For the record, I think Kaleb Joseph is going to be a phenomenal player for us. This was the top guy that the staff targeted, and I love his handle and ability to get into the lane.

I don't think that it is fair to expect the maturity that Ennis brought to the table this year; very few freshman point guards are capable of doing what Ennis has done. Which is why I think it would be incredible to have Ennis return, and allow Joseph to caddy for a year while he figures out the ropes. But there is no doubt in my mind that Joseph is going to be the next backcourt stud for Syracuse. Kid is going to be an exciting player!

Agreed. From watching some of Kaleb Joseph's highlight tapes he seems to be more of a high risk, high reward type player. He'll push the ball and attack more than Ennis and with that I would expect a higher learning curve.

Where is Ennis going? I mean I love the kid's demeanor and his game but the only place he gets minutes next year are Syracuse or the D-League. He doesn't do one thing at an NBA level or speed right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom