So its been a few days, who are some names we are looking at for DC do you think? | Syracusefan.com

So its been a few days, who are some names we are looking at for DC do you think?

Cusefan69

All American
As has been noted Swag is interim DC for the bowl. It’s possible he could become a candidate. Who else could be legitimate options for us if we maintain the 3-3-5 philosophy which I am guessing we will.

I love Swag D, but it reminds me of Lynch pulling duties as temp. OC (serviceable but not the answer). Swag has a short 335 history and no experience running a whole defense. If he was a "coach in waiting" like Beck I doubt the defensive players would have had such a negative reaction to TW's 11-hour move (can't blame them). I think we need to look at outside 335 candidates for a position this important ... with such talented players that were brought in to play this bespoke scheme.

Last edited:
I am looking and other schools who I believe run the same defense are:

Iowa State
Kansas state
Tennessee Chattanooga
New Mexico
Alabama runs 5d-backs in 80 percent of defense. So maybe there.
SDSU
TCU
West Virginia
UCF

Looking at some others.

Wommack isn't going to give up being a HC after 2 years in the Sun Belt to be DC at Cuse.

Travis Williams is an SEC guy - Cuse likely doesn't have the money to tempt him.
Williams is only making $600k per year. White was making over $710k and we likely offered him more to stay before he left. We have the money for the right guy I bet.

Williams is only making $600k per year. White was making over $710k and we likely offered him more to stay before he left. We have the money for the right guy I bet.
Williams specifically would be a hard pry. Just a gut feeling.

I love swag and his recruiting but 2-3 years of 335 isn't enough to give him the keys if we are running that D IMO.

Wommack isn't going to give up being a HC after 2 years in the Sun Belt to be DC at Cuse.

Travis Williams is an SEC guy - Cuse likely doesn't have the money to tempt him.

Wommack is only making 700k as a HC. We’d be able to increase his salary easily by a few hundred thousand if we thought he was the guy. The buyout is what I don’t know. Of course, whether he would consider that a lateral move or not, no idea. Our last DC is easily making double what Wommack is making now so you could argue the move would be continuing up the ladder.

2A5DDF52-7948-4B86-8783-B22357857474.gif

4067F6B0-AE8D-47BB-AA7E-CFC132B25E2B.gif

Gotta be honest. This feels like DB at the end of a game or with TO decisions. You’ve known the guy for how long, he’s either ready to take the next step or he’s not. If he’s the right person to do the job then hire him. The bowl game thing is stupid.

He could do terrible in the bowl but still be the right guy or do great in the bowl but terrible as a long term solution.