So now that we got Mintz are we going to mix in some man to man next year? | Syracusefan.com

So now that we got Mintz are we going to mix in some man to man next year?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Or was thst just a tactic that we smartly used to help recruit this kid.
The zone works but watching Villanova go zone and then midway thru the possession switch to zone has confused Kansas this second half.

I wonder if we will mix in any man to man.

The zone works but watching Villanova go zone and then midway thru the possession switch to zone has confused Kansas this second half.

Was my thought too. Although Mintz played a good amount of zone at Oak Hill that I saw.

I also wondered if we would see a small ball 3 guard set ever. I realize that would be way out of character for JB ( given that would be 3 guys 6-3 and under on the court). That said when he mentioned mtm he was specific to the reason as the zone is just not as effective against a number of teams.

Right along with the 2nd coming.

Yep. And we are going to play 10 guys and ...No. we are going to do things the way we have done them for the last 30 years or so.

Yep. And we are going to play 10 guys and ...No. we are going to do things the way we have done them for the last 30 years or so.
Would be nice if we could go man as an option like we did successfully many times in big spots pre-2010.

All zone was fine when we had 5 big and athletic studs that could also score, on the court every year from 2010-14. Time for some program tweaks.

Would be nice if we could go man as an option like we did successfully many times in big spots pre-2010.

All zone was fine when we had 5 big and athletic studs that could also score, on the court every year from 2010-14. Time for some program tweaks.
I bet we may see more zone tweaks like the 3-1-1, triangle, matchup, 1-3-1 etc.

I bet we may see more zone tweaks like the 3-1-1, triangle, matchup, 1-3-1 etc.
Would be a fan of that too.

I’ve frequently wondered in recent times if it would be “easier” to recruit 3 good guards and 2 good bigs and play a 3-2 zone than it is to have to recruit big guards, long and athletic forwards, and a center with superhuman powers to cover the entire baseline, the foul line, and defend the rim.

I don't disagree.

At my most optimistic, I’d guess JAB was genuine in saying we would play some M2M next year. But realistically, I kinda believe it will be an experiment that will prove to be too uncomfortable for him, and he won’t trust it. We’ll revert to zone, and maybe occasionally spring man on some teams for spurts/possessions.

But it’s going to be bizarre, having six frosh and maybe a transfer come in and be expected to learn and execute the zone. Mixed with a veteran in Joe who doesn’t do it very well even with the experience. Which D will we actually be better at?

I fully expect us to play some man next year.

We will play some man, but will JB be patient enough to give it a chance? The first time someone gets best off the dribble or doesn’t get out on a three he will throw up his arms and go zone.

If we were to play significant m2m defense, I could see Jesse's being foul prone
as an issue. And could Girard stay with an athletic 6'3" guard?
Listen, either JB intends to work it in for real and we’ll make tweaks to it like he does with the zone. But for grist’s sake, let’s stop with the paranoia and finding excuses not to play it. We’ve heard that story for the last 12 years. Do the other 312 Div 1 programs make these same excuses?

If we were to play significant m2m defense, I could see Jesse's being foul prone
as an issue. And could Girard stay with an athletic 6'3" guard?
There is no chance we play very much man. As some people insist Joe will play 32-34 minutes, we will play zone as JB always has.

Judah has zone experience from his time at Oak Hill, and it appears he’s good at taking away passing lanes and anticipating the offense. He has an instinct for it. If he closes out 3s faster than a light jog like we saw last year at Cuse, he will be a welcome addition to the zone. Add Benny getting starter minutes, and some athletic freshman getting spot minutes (or perhaps starter minutes for some), and the zone will look refreshed.

Hopefully JB switches up the defenses mid-game when something isn’t working. I would like to think he walked away from the Duke game realizing switching the defenses during the game worked great and kept them in a mismatched game, but I won’t assume so. That game was the best coached game of the year in my opinion, and worked against a fellow HOFer, so he could out-coach many other teams with those principles next year. Indiana game too (1-1-3 zone) - and both had in common adapting the defense to the other team’s offensive strengths. It will be very tough to game plan for Cuse in short weeks with a few days between games if you don’t know what defense to expect and if you have to teach your young guys multiple different attacking strategies.

Also note that the players barely practiced the other defenses last year. With practice, next year’s team could be a really stingy defense mixing 2-3, 1-1-3, triangle and two, and a bit of man.

The triangle and two hybrid might be utilized against these good-shooting teams next year. No open guard threes. That would make a world of difference in today’s game. Contested 3s and having to deal with Jesse inside with Benny helping - You’d love to see it.

There will be growing pains, but this could be a team that starts cooking with gas near the end of the season, and presents a big problem for unfamiliar teams in the tournament.

I think he'll try it in a couple of early season, non-conference games (not Colgate), then declare the experiment a failure and revert to zone for the rest of the season. Think LeMoyne 2009.

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom