So San Diego 'Cuse fans... | Syracusefan.com

So San Diego 'Cuse fans...

what are the odds of getting tickets to this thing? Is it gonna be like the last one? Just for the military personel?

what are the odds of getting tickets to this thing? Is it gonna be like the last one? Just for the military personel?

I'm curious myself, but either that article or another I read said that it would have only about half the seating capacity of the Carrier Classic(as well as not having the cool name!). Either way, we gotta find out when the tickets go onsale. I hate to complain, but your avatar messes with my brain!!

I'm curious myself, but either that article or another I read said that it would have only about half the seating capacity of the Carrier Classic(as well as not having the cool name!). Either way, we gotta find out when the tickets go onsale. I hate to complain, but your avatar messes with my brain!!

You know you like it ;)

They're a pretty good team, not great though. They finished second in the MWC this season. Behind New Mexico and in front of UNLV. They have a decent recruiting class coming in, led by Winston Shepard ( http://247sports.com/Player/Winston-Shepard-1210). They're returning pretty much everyone.
Technically, SDSU was first due to tie-breakers. We had the #1 seed for the MWC tourney, but I'll give you second because we lost to UNM in the title game. :D

I am pleasantly surprised to see how much you guys know about SDSU hoops. No offense, but many blue blood types or faux blue bloods don't know jack about college basketball in the west outside of the Pac 12. Your fan base seems the polar opposite. Especially since we're mired on the MTN and CBS college sports.

As for the scouting report: SDSU returns pretty much 80% of it's scoring from last year in 4 starters coming back along with two reserves who got signifigant PT. Last year we were small. Our tallest starter was a generous 6'7 with a 6'5 SG playing the 4 spot all year. The six recruits took care of that with the shortest being 6'7. Here's a report on who is coming back that matters.

Jamaal Franklin: Freak athlete, still learning basketball. The MWC POY as a soph, he has big-time hops. In a pick up game he lost his tooth on the way down on the rim on a dunk. He's a clutch FT shooter, who is an underrated defender. He had to guard power fowards last year a lot of the time. His shooting went from God-awful ugly as a frosh to roughly 30% last year from 3 point land. If he continues to improve on this, and develops a mid-range jumper, he will be unstoppable. He does sometimes turn into a black hole. Sometimes it fails, most times he can take over games.

Chase Tapley: One of the top 3 point shooters in the nation last year. Big-time player who sometimes runs the point. He is the other guy on SDSU's team who can take over games. Unlike Franklin, he rarely gets to the line. He plays great perimeter D with his long arms. Has a legit mid-range game.

Xavier Thames: Last year's starting PG who transfered from WAZZU. A decent outside shooter who is a decent drive and dish guy. With 6'9 Winston Shepard coming to be the next Jalen Rose, he might see his court time diminished

James Rahon: Bench player in 2010-11 who gave valuable offense off the bench who became an inconsistent streak shooter as a starter. I expect him to be buried deep on the bench next year with the talent coming in.

Deshawn Stephens: A very, very raw PF. Great athlete, but very raw. Cannot make a FT to save his life, but is a stout defender and capable shot blocker. Was a 6'2 guard in HS who got cut from his team as a senior. Grew 7 inches and tried out for his juco team. He is a good rebounder. He will provide depth, but not start.

LaBradford Franklin: Pure PG. Feast or famine guy. Great FT shooter, marginal 3 point shot, avg defender.

As for who is coming in: Winston Shepard, a 4 star 6'9 PG in the mold of Jalen Rose, Matt Shrigley, a 4 star local kid and Skylar Spencer a 6'9 defensive stopper from LA. If Spencer had a more developed offense, he'd be rated higher. We won't need him to have much of a role on offense.

Transfers: Those who cover SDSU hoops locally have written that in practice last year the two best players weren't even eligible to play. JJ O'Brien from Utah and Dwayne Pollee from St. Johns were described as being the best players on the team last year. James Johoson 6'11 senior (former top 10 ESPN rated C) from UVA wont be eligible till Dec.

That being said, Fisher's teams always have trouble against zone defenses. Yours in the best. That has me worried. I'm excited we get to play who I consider a blue blood with one of the great coaches in the game. I look foward to seeing how we stack up against a great team.

Technically, SDSU was first due to tie-breakers. We had the #1 seed for the MWC tourney, but I'll give you second because we lost to UNM in the title game. :D

I am pleasantly surprised to see how much you guys know about SDSU hoops. No offense, but many blue blood types or faux blue bloods don't know jack about college basketball in the west outside of the Pac 12. Your fan base seems the polar opposite. Especially since we're mired on the MTN and CBS college sports.

I've been a proponent of keeping the MWC together. If the MWC went after Utah State, UTEP, and New Mexico State, while retaining SDSU, UNLV, and New Mexico it'd be a pretty good basketball league. Being better, on paper, than the PAC.

It should be a good game. One thing that worries me is we'll be traveling cross country, while SDSU is basically a bus ride away.

Will Nike make SU those special camo-style jerseys they made for UNC and MSU last year?

Transfers: Those who cover SDSU hoops locally have written that in practice last year the two best players weren't even eligible to play.
Reminds us of Syracuse in 2009-2010 when we had Wes Johnson coming off the transfer hiatus, every coach said he was the best player on the 08-09 team that went to the S16 and was a 3 seed, but had to sit out. Turned out to be a 1st team All-American and #4 pick leading us to a #1 seed in the NCAA.

I'm excited about this game. SDSU sounds like the real deal, top mid-major team, potential top 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom