So the Dome's Shelf Life is now under Review: | Syracusefan.com

So the Dome's Shelf Life is now under Review:

arbitragegls

All Conference
so says ESPNinsider (paraphrased to be legal):

The Carrier Dome is one of college athletics' special venues. Others argue it's antiquated and needs replaced or upgraded. Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross appears to fall in this category.

"I think Central New York deserves an unbelievable place," Gross told Donna Ditota of Syracuse.com. "You've got all these great new stadiums in New York City and then you start coming upstate and the next biggest thing you run into is the Dome. And so there will be a day one day for folks up here to be able to enjoy and take advantage of those kinds of amenities. That's part of our thinking. And I'm a big dreamer, anyway."

College football's arms race isn't decided simply by what happens on the field. Facilities are a huge part of the recruiting process to lure top prospects. .

The school hasn't approved a new football stadium, but buzz is building on campus.

"SU's South Campus, where the university owns vast tracts of land, could be a likely resting place for a new facility," Ditota wrote. "Gross has not confirmed where the university might build.. But he said SU will 'think big' about a potential new facility."

The money Syracuse will now receive as a member of the ACC could be the first step in the eventual demise of the Carrier Dome.

So what is your opinion on this...???

For football this is great.

For basketball, it would be a disaster unless the new stadium/arena can hold >30k per game. What separates Syracuse from other programs are two things: the zone and the dome. I cannot image doing away with one or the other.

so says ESPNinsider (paraphrased to be legal):

The Carrier Dome is one of college athletics' special venues. Others argue it's antiquated and needs replaced or upgraded. Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross appears to fall in this category.

"I think Central New York deserves an unbelievable place," Gross told Donna Ditota of Syracuse.com. "You've got all these great new stadiums in New York City and then you start coming upstate and the next biggest thing you run into is the Dome. And so there will be a day one day for folks up here to be able to enjoy and take advantage of those kinds of amenities. That's part of our thinking. And I'm a big dreamer, anyway."

College football's arms race isn't decided simply by what happens on the field. Facilities are a huge part of the recruiting process to lure top prospects. .

The school hasn't approved a new football stadium, but buzz is building on campus.

"SU's South Campus, where the university owns vast tracts of land, could be a likely resting place for a new facility," Ditota wrote. "Gross has not confirmed where the university might build.. But he said SU will 'think big' about a potential new facility."

The money Syracuse will now receive as a member of the ACC could be the first step in the eventual demise of the Carrier Dome.

So what is your opinion on this...???

I love watching football in the Dome.

I would rather see it expanded a bit and enhanced with new amenities.

But I like the place and find it hard to believe that a new stadium is in the cards.

Look the Dome is great an all, but it's getting up there in age. Like any stadium, there's a time where it's useful life is up. Maybe now's the time.

As for basketball, I would hope that they keep basketball in mind when designing a new stadium (assuming it's domed or has a closeable roof). I would doubt they'd build an 18,000 seat basketball only arena.

I'm sure a new Dome would have all kinds of fancier amenities, revenue streams, etc. And get the concerns about parking / tailgating.

But as a student, I loved having the Dome so close to everything else I was doing on campus (never lived on South). A new facility might technically be 'on campus' but in reality will be its own separate world.

Having to take a bus or drive will not increase student attendance at games.

Having an indoor field is a great recruiting advantage versus schools like Penn State and Rutgers. Recruits have the opportunity to play against Southern schools in ideal football conditions on the road and play in a controlled environment at home. That's a lot more appealing than playing in lousy weather at lousy Midwestern campuses.
Hopefully if a new football stadium is built, it will be indoors as well.

SU's South Campus, where the university owns vast tracts of land

monty_python_holy_grail_script_130_lancelot_father_herb.jpg

How is it that stadiums built in the '20's and '30's can be upgraded and remain relevant, but the Dome can't be? I've said this before, the only reason to replace the Dome is if we're consistently selling it out and there is an obvious need for increased capacity. Before someone asserts that a new stadium would increase interest and therefore attendance, let me point out that that only works in the short term. Ultimately the only thing that draws crowds is success, and we've only had one season where we've averaged barely more than 49,000 and 4 seasons with more than 48,000.

Let's outgrow the Dome before we talk about replacing it.

All that I ask is that they replace the benches with stadium seating.

I'm sick of getting squeezed out of my seat because some fat guy 10 people down cant fit into the 13 inch spot allocated to his seat.

I can't see them ever putting stadium seating in - it would eliminate too many seats and create a huge problem for season ticket holders. It might be easier getting the fat guys to stop eating donuts.

Look the Dome is great an all, but it's getting up there in age. Like any stadium, there's a time where it's useful life is up. Maybe now's the time.

As for basketball, I would hope that they keep basketball in mind when designing a new stadium (assuming it's domed or has a closeable roof). I would doubt they'd build an 18,000 seat basketball only arena.

Let's look at the numbers.

The Carrier Dome is the fourth newest football stadium among the 15 football programs in the league (including both Maryland and Louisville). Two of the 3 newer stadiums--Miami and Pitt--share new NFL venues. The other is LVille (thanks, Pizza Man).

In hoops, the Dome is one of the older arenas, but do you see UNC replacing the Dean Dome (only 6 years newer) any time in the near future? Do we really want to use BC or Miami as a template? There are 5 fancy-new buildings in the league. UMd, UVa, and Pitt have nice buildings, but they hold only 17K, 15K and 12.5 K, respectively. SU isn't going that way. The other two: NC St., which shares its arena with an NHL team (thus reducing costs); and LVille, where the building is bathing in red ink (cost picked up by the city, apparently).

In short, I see no reason that SU can't compete going forward in the Carrier dome. Will it need some renovations and general sprucing up? You bet. But, I'm mystified by all of these "Raze the Dome" rumblings.

And, apparently, based on Axe's piece, Dr. Gross is back-pedaling on his previous pronouncement.

This fall is the 100th anniversary of GT playing at Grant Field.

Build a new football stadium for Orange football.

Renovate and put some money into the dome for Syracuse basketball, lacrosse and the Syracuse Crunch.

badabing

badaboom.

Let's look at the numbers.

The Carrier Dome is the fourth newest football stadium among the 15 football programs in the league (including both Maryland and Louisville). Two of the 3 newer stadiums--Miami and Pitt--share new NFL venues. The other is LVille (thanks, Pizza Man).

In hoops, the Dome is one of the older arenas, but do you see UNC replacing the Dean Dome (only 6 years newer) any time in the near future? Do we really want to use BC or Miami as a template? There are 5 fancy-new buildings in the league. UMd, UVa, and Pitt have nice buildings, but they hold only 17K, 15K and 12.5 K, respectively. SU isn't going that way. The other two: NC St., which shares its arena with an NHL team (thus reducing costs); and LVille, where the building is bathing in red ink (cost picked up by the city, apparently).

In short, I see no reason that SU can't compete going forward in the Carrier dome. Will it need some renovations and general sprucing up? You bet. But, I'm mystified by all of these "Raze the Dome" rumblings.

And, apparently, based on Axe's piece, Dr. Gross is back-pedaling on his previous pronouncement.

GT's basketball arena is brand new. Last season was the first year of the new arena. Capacity is 8.6k, so smaller even than the ones you listed.

Should build an unbelievable football facility New and then renovate and redo the dome seating to allow a better basketball venue. Make the dome even better for basketball with improved sightlines , seating for over 40k with better sight lines and huge video boards .

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

The issue with the Dome (and why this is brought up even though it's not old by most standards) is how it was built. The Dome was built in an architectural dark age, with a design that won't last the test of time. It's a concrete sarcophagus. Unlike something like the Horseshoe, it is not amenable to renovations to expand, remodel, or anything like that. It is quite literally designed to be destroyed or kept as is. Thus, while something like Bryant Denny or the Shoe can be upgraded to be more modern over time, you can't really upgrade or renovate the Dome in the same way. You can't expand the concourses, you can't replace the roof, you can't do a lot of things other than room remodels, new seats, and things like that. This is why the new stadium talk constantly comes up, because it's the only logical next step. Most importantly with a new stadium, it needs to be built to allow renovation and redesign, rather than a more fixed design like the Carrier Dome.

Oh, and a new stadium could have a new sponsor.

The issue with the Dome (and why this is brought up even though it's not old by most standards) is how it was built. The Dome was built in an architectural dark age, with a design that won't last the test of time. It's a concrete sarcophagus. Unlike something like the Horseshoe, it is not amenable to renovations to expand, remodel, or anything like that. It is quite literally designed to be destroyed or kept as is. Thus, while something like Bryant Denny or the Shoe can be upgraded to be more modern over time, you can't really upgrade or renovate the Dome in the same way. You can't expand the concourses, you can't replace the roof, you can't do a lot of things other than room remodels, new seats, and things like that. This is why the new stadium talk constantly comes up, because it's the only logical next step. Most importantly with a new stadium, it needs to be built to allow renovation and redesign, rather than a more fixed design like the Carrier Dome.

Good points, but there has to be a way to upgrade/improve without tearing the place down. Sorry, but I think the Dome is a real icon. Just need a couple tweaks here and there--stadium seats for starters. Do that, and it will be much easier to pack the place. Who cares about giving up several hundred seats to do it if we can't consistently fill the place in the first place? And as far a new stadium sponsor--who's ready to step in --Congel? Hm-m-m-m-m...

If the dome is on it's way it seems rather foolish to be spending money on updated video boards, and ribbon board. Why not keep updating it and see what comes of it?

I love watching football in the Dome.

I would rather see it expanded a bit and enhanced with new amenities.

But I like the place and find it hard to believe that a new stadium is in the cards.

We need a new football stadium about as badly as we need Greg Robinson back as head coach.

But I do worry when I start seeing Gross talking about it. He's a wide eyed kind of guy, which has been great for the Athletic Department. I just really hope this isn't a project he takes on.

Dome is unique, we should celebrate it, not demolish it.

are you positive...my father did the plumbing when it was built and I worked there in the late 80's. I've been told by numerous people that there is pilings all ready in place to allow expansion if needs to be.

the roof was replaced a few years back and I worked around the guy who died in a fall from the roof on previous jobs. Didn't really know him though,but the roof is Teflon and cables and is very easily expandable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom