So there’s this.. | Syracusefan.com

So there’s this..

And yet--during this period, Denver and Loyola have won championships.

Yeah Denver, good example. Coached by Bill Tierney who had 6 National Championships before winning his 7th with Denver. Also has 3 other final four appearances with Denver in 7 years.

So in 7 years with Denver he has 4 Final Fours and 1 National Championship. Parity ? Or great coach?

Last edited:
I know people despise Duke but Danowski is my favorite coach bar none. I love his style and philosophy and would send my kid to play for him in a heartbeat.

who would't?

I know people despise Duke but Danowski is my favorite coach bar none. I love his style and philosophy and would send my kid to play for him in a heartbeat.

who would't?

I don’t mean to Duke, I mean he could be coaching at Hartwick or Hudson Valley and I’d send my kid to play for him.

There’s a few coaches I feel that way about.

I don’t mean to Duke, I mean he could be coaching at Hartwick or Hudson Valley and I’d send my kid to play for him.

My respect for Danowski soared at the end of the 2013 Championship game when he told his team to respect the Syracuse team and its tradition by taking off their championship T-shirts and hats before they met the Orange players in the handshake line.

Losing to Bryant at home in the first round of the tourney in 2014 should have been enough of a wake up call. Coach Desko is going to get a lot more time by virtue of his past accomplishments, so let's hope he can find some new spirit and get the team back to where Cuse lax belongs.

Ah yes - agree. Easy sell to recruit, Duke education, Danowski and young Danowski and Crotty on staff. Although I am not a Desko hater there is something to be said for that dynamic which we certainly don't have right now.

Yeah Denver, good example. Coached by Bill Tierney who had 6 National Championships before winning his 7th with Denver. Also has 3 other final four appearances with Denver in 7 years.

So in 7 years with Denver he has 4 Final Fours and 1 National Championship. Parity ? Or great coach?
It’s a great coach. Tierney can come across as a lunatic, screaming SoB, but he is the best lacrosse coach in the last 30 years. He has mined Canada extremely well and has developed a great feeder program with Denver Elite Club.

It’s a great coach. Tierney can come across as a lunatic, screaming SoB, but he is the best lacrosse coach in the last 30 years. He has mined Canada extremely well and has developed a great feeder program with Denver Elite Club.

exactly. He's a great coach and Denver isn't good because of parity. They're good because of Tierney.

Last edited:
exactly. He's a great coach and Denver isn't good because of parity. They're good because of Tierney.
I agree that Tierney is likely the largest single factor.

But, even with the best face-off man in the history of the sport, the Pioneers made the FF 2 of the past 4 seasons. Compare that to SU's FF run, or stretches where JHU, Princeton, and UNC have been regulars on Memorial Day weekend, and it's easy to see that's there is much more parity than has been the case in the history of the sport.

I agree that Tierney is likely the largest single factor.

But, even with the best face-off man in the history of the sport, the Pioneers made the FF 2 of the past 4 seasons. Compare that to SU's FF run, or stretches where JHU, Princeton, and UNC have been regulars on Memorial Day weekend, and it's easy to see that's there is much more parity than has been the case in the history of the sport.

I think this is perception without much basis in fact. It's a good argument for teams like Syracuse who aren't on top anymore. Point to parity instead of the coaching staff.

There have been 46 titles and only 10 teams have ever won a title.

The final fours have been dominated by the same teams; whether the 80s, 90s or 2000s.

Let Define our blue bloods - Syracuse, UVA, Hopkins, UNC, Duke, Maryland, Cornell, Princeton(Denver), Loyola,

It should be noted both Loyola and Towson had FF appearances in the 90s and both played in title games. You could argue both are old blue bloods.

(when did parity become 'a thing' is there a year onward we should examine?)

The Final Four has slotted 76 teams since 2000.

Here are your outliers with appearances:

ND - 4
Towson - 2 (had title game appearance in the 90's)
UMass - 1
Navy - 1
Delaware - 1
Brown - 1 (had a FF appearance in the 90's)
Ohio State - 1
Yale - 1
Albany - 1

Outliers - 13 appearances
Blue Bloods - 63 appearances

I won't deny that other schools are more competitive now and there's more schools playing but parity is not affecting the blue bloods the way some people think it is.

Syracuse comprises 9 of the 63 appearances but zero in the last 5 years. We're struggling now with the outliers (Bryant, Towson, Army) as well as the blue bloods. For Syracuse it's an across the board thing.

Last edited:
Duke and Maryland seem to have no problem handling all of the parity in college lacrosse. Why are they able to do what we can't ?

You're no longer elite the second you begin accepting mediocrity.

Everyone’s forgotten us already. :( Until 2016, we had as many losses in the semis as UNC had total appearances in the Final 4.

Last edited:
Everyone’s forgotten us already. :(

shruggie.0.0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors