So, what did people think about the D-Line? | Syracusefan.com

So, what did people think about the D-Line?

RF2044

Living Legend
Clearly, the least experienced group on that side of the ball.

Lots of young components -- seems like they are going to be far better than advertised, but I'm curious what the coaches on the board "saw" from last night's performance.

Not a ton of rotation - Caleb especially seemed to have a bulk of the snaps. Lockett and Darton seemed to rotate, especially late. Not sure if I noticed a third body in there.

Linton seemed to be a situational guy who was in a lot because of the situations justified his presence.

Simmons got a lot of snaps late. He got eaten up on the Louisville TD run, but made his presence known otherwise.

I like Geer. However, he shouldn’t be allowed to wear #54. Seeing him in that position brings me back to a different era and it’s not his fault, but he ain’t Dwight Freeney. Nobody is. Geer will very good.

I have notes that I’m going to post later today.

Got off to a shaky start, but calmed down. For the most part, they let their LBs get to the ball. That’s 75% of their job.

Was impressed. Only going to get better.
Yup they will still have some shaky moments this season but they will get better with experience. There was a nice rotation going on. Look forward to seeing your notes.

Not a ton of rotation - Caleb especially seemed to have a bulk of the snaps. Lockett and Darton seemed to rotate, especially late. Not sure if I noticed a third body in there.

Linton seemed to be a situational guy who was in a lot because of the situations justified his presence.

Simmons got a lot of snaps late. He got eaten up on the Louisville TD run, but made his presence known otherwise.
Darton Simmons Fuentes Linton rotated in

I like Geer. However, he shouldn’t be allowed to wear #54. Seeing him in that position brings me back to a different era and it’s not his fault, but he ain’t Dwight Freeney. Nobody is. Geer will very good.
When we started the season last year I said Geer is going to be the best player in the 2021 class. Duce might make that prediction look bad but I will stick with it. But no, he isn’t Dwight, that dude is once in a generation

Considering this unit had the most question marks and they got thrown right into the fire against a P5 opponent that destroyed us last season, I'd say they played as well as a unit as we could have hoped for.

I think going into the season we're not sure about the unit, but by the end of the season we'll look at Lockett as a really, really good player.

Sorry for being snippy.

I need to amend what I said anyway. Lowery got some snaps late, and when McDonald came in, they almost went to a four man front at first. So there were some interesting rotations and quasi-position deployments.
Good points

Pleasantly surprised with the disruptive play from the young D-Line. One positive of not having a "star" there, is we can rotate guys, and keep them relatively fresh though the game. The concern I have still is how we deal with big O-Lines. Honestly, I was a bit shocked at how "light" the Cards O-Line was. Only exacerbated by the ejection of one of their more heavier lineman in the first half. Really want to see what our young guns do against a legit big B1G Purdue group. If we can hold up all game against the Boilers, and not get bullied in the late game; then bodes well for the rest of the season.

Purdue throws the ball a lot. Not sure if we will find out against them

Yep, think I heard a stat that when Purdue was up against Penn State late in the second half, they threw 11 times compared to running it 3 times. They have no confidence in their run game.

Yep, think I heard a stat that when Purdue was up against Penn State late in the second half, they threw 11 times compared to running it 3 times. They have no confidence in their run game.
They said on the broadcast that Purdue had one of the worst rushing attacks in FBS last year and was focusing on trying to improve it.

Sorry for being snippy.

I need to amend what I said anyway. Lowery got some snaps late, and when McDonald came in, they almost went to a four man front at first. So there were some interesting rotations and quasi-position deployments.

When Thompson got hurt, they went to McDonald first. Wasn’t real impressive. Then went to Lowery. He got bounced around even more. Went back to McDonald and he settled in more and did OK. The INT was sweet. But neither are close to Thompson.

Purdue rb, King Doerue, looks like a tough sob. If our D-Line can force Boilers to throw 50+ pass, then that means our D-Line has done its job.

When Thompson got hurt, they went to McDonald first. Wasn’t real impressive. Then went to Lowery. He got bounced around even more. Went back to McDonald and he settled in more and did OK. The INT was sweet. But neither are close to Thompson.

That's my concern.

Not sure that we have a "natural" replacement who is on par with Thompson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom