So what do we do now at OLB for WVU? | Syracusefan.com

So what do we do now at OLB for WVU?

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Vaughan seems like the easy answer, but will he do OK going against a spread offense with speed? Anyone remember how he did vs WVU last year? What other options do we have? Do we play a 4-2-5 with an extra safety?

if he doesnt play lots of 4-2-5 and when 3 lb on the field lynch gets snaps

Dude, did you read the report? I will pay for a suite for you at the game if he plays
I'll take you up on that offer, nothing like be offered a suite if he does play, and no ramifications or expectations if he does not... I have witnesses!

I'll take you up on that offer, nothing like be offered a suite if he does play, and no ramifications or expectations if he does not... I have witnesses!
Damn you! You have to put something up. I'll let you pick

Vaughan seems like the easy answer, but will he do OK going against a spread offense with speed? Anyone remember how he did vs WVU last year? What other options do we have? Do we play a 4-2-5 with an extra safety?
play the next kid in line. there is a month to prepare. there is no way you are going to tell me that we can't replace one player.

How has no one mentioned Cam Lynch? Easy answer.

Also for the record, is there a better game than this one to slide Shamarko into a hybrid OLB slot? Provides even more speed sideline to sideline.

Also for the record, is there a better game than this one to slide Shamarko into a hybrid OLB slot? Provides even more speed sideline to sideline.

see my post 3 or 4 up from yours

yep and let escridge play deep.were going to have our hands full with there wrs though

Will be full-time Okie defense. Have Davis or Diabate train in for Spurill's spot in that D for the next 15 practices.

play the next kid in line. there is a month to prepare. there is no way you are going to tell me that we can't replace one player.

i didnt tell you that.

The last two seasons we played 3-2-6 against them. If we do the same this time then Spruill will not be missed. The thing is for some reason we have not gone to that at all this year. We have preferred to use a 3-3-5 which IMO made us less effective. I could see:

DE MPB
NT Bromley
DE Sharpe
With Goggins rotating in at each spot

MLB Davis
MLB Diabate

SS Eskridge
SS Shamarko

CB Lynn
CB Anderson
With Reddish rotating in

FS Wilkes
FS Desir

Also WV is not as one dimensional this year and Austin is one scary mofo. He really is the only player who deserves the Heisman. If they woulda hung on vs TCU and OU he may have won it. They really are a bad matchup for this year's version of the SU D. We stink against teams running via the Spread, we cannot get to the QB, and we play very soft in the secondary. We need to jump on them early because they will outscore us if it is back and forth. We cannot pull a Mizzou against them.

The last two seasons we played 3-2-6 against them. If we do the same this time then Spruill will not be missed. The thing is for some reason we have not gone to that at all this year. We have preferred to use a 3-3-5 which IMO made us less effective. I could see:

DE MPB
NT Bromley
DE Sharpe
With Goggins rotating in at each spot

MLB Davis
MLB Diabate

SS Eskridge
SS Shamarko

CB Lynn
CB Anderson
With Reddish rotating in

FS Wilkes
FS Desir

Also WV is not as one dimensional this year and Austin is one scary mofo. He really is the only player who deserves the Heisman. If they woulda hung on vs TCU and OU he may have won it. They really are a bad matchup for this year's version of the SU D. We stink against teams running via the Spread, we cannot get to the QB, and we play very soft in the secondary. We need to jump on them early because they will outscore us if it is back and forth. We cannot pull a Mizzou against them.

Diabate had a big game against them last year. Dyshawn has been much better in pass drops as of late. Cam would come off the bench or flip Cam and Dyshawn. Agree with the likelihood of seeing a 3-2-6 with lots of Shamarko in the box.

We will be playing a lot of Okie against WVU. If not we will be fine with Lynch and Vaughn. Lets not forget that Hunt got suspended for stealing a $40 bottle of cologne there is no way Marrone even lets Spruill make the trip to NYC,

As for Rene send him packing and open up a scholarship spot. Good thing for the police left the muzzle on old "Beny" or Rene would have had another upper body injury requiring surgery.;)

we don't need spruill against WVU. everything hinges on getting into smith's head. this isn't very sporting but who cares about 15 yard penalties. i don't want them to cheap shot but i also don't want them worrying too much about hitting the guy a smidge too late either.

We will be playing a lot of Okie against WVU. If not we will be fine with Lynch and Vaughn. Lets not forget that Hunt got suspended for stealing a $40 bottle of cologne there is no way Marrone even lets Spruill make the trip to NYC,

As for Rene send him packing and open up a scholarship spot. Good thing for the police left the muzzle on old "Beny" or Rene would have had another upper body injury requiring surgery.;)
I
Diabate had a big game against them last year. Dyshawn has been much better in pass drops as of late. Cam would come off the bench or flip Cam and Dyshawn. Agree with the likelihood of seeing a 3-2-6 with lots of Shamarko in the box.
I agree about Diabate. The last WVU game was his coming out party that led to increased PT late in the 2011 season and a starting job this season. He is a big part of the Okie and will continue to be part of the unit.

I believe Davis is normally not part of the Okie package. He was early in his career, it didn't work out (I think Diabate was the player who replaced him). You would think with his excellent speed, Davis would be a staple of the Okie but it has not been the case.

Not a fan of the idea to play Vaughn in the Okie package...his relative lack of speed would be exposed trying to cover the very fast skilled players WVU has. If they try and run some sets with a FB and 2 TEs, sure, give Dan a shot. But I don't think Dana plays that way...

Our best bet is to play Davis, who is a lot more experienced now and should be better prepared to play in the Okie. We could also play Anderson, Lyn and Reddish at the same time. That would make for a really strong pass coverage unit but The Dude is not an idiot and would call a lot of running plays against a lineup comprised of so many DB types. Davis is decent against the pass, can provide a pass rush if needed and is better against the run than the DBs are.

We can't replace one player. There-I said it
If we are talking this year, and not necessarily a player in this incident, then I agree. We can't replace Ryan Nassib.

I agree with you...but a lot of people consider stealing to be on a whole 'nuther' level than what Spruill did. Many people despise a thief - and for good reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom