So what if | Syracusefan.com

So what if

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
MCW bolts to the nba after next season because he is that good. Honestly if he played more he probably would of been a first rounder this year and would of left jb no choice but to sit scoop because he was getting the job done and then some. I think thats part of the reason jimmy sat him.Yes he sat a great player to not ruin chemistry on the team imo.

What if JB dies during practice? What if the athletic department burns down and we're left with nothing? What if all our players transferred?

We NEED Ennis anyway. If MCW leaves after this year we need 2 guards in 13, maybe 3

Yeah, we need Ennis regardless. I don't see MCW sticking around past his junior year, so having a sophomore Ennis step in to run the show, just like MCW is being handed the reins this year, is extremely favorable.

We need multiple guards in the '13 class, as has been said. We lost BT, and if MCW does blow up like Dion did this year and goes pro, we'll have precisely Cooney left, so we need Ennis and at least one more guard prospect like Stanford Robinson.

Seeing MCW in 2012-2013 is going to be very similar to seeing Sherman in 1986-87. Everyone will be thinking "Wow this guy sat on the bench last year??? We could have used that!!"

MCW bolts to the nba after next season because he is that good. Honestly if he played more he probably would of been a first rounder this year and would of left jb no choice but to sit scoop because he was getting the job done and then some. I think thats part of the reason jimmy sat him.Yes he sat a great player to not ruin chemistry on the team imo.
At least I know who'll be eating up bandwidth in your signature next season.

Tyler Ennis! If we don't get him we're screwed. The '13 class is light at the PG position.

If we need 2/3 guards in 2013 my top targets would be;
Tyler Ennis
Allerick Freeman
Stanford Robinson

When I did my preseason practice report prior to the season, I reported how one of the SU staffers indicated that the coaches viewed MCW as a legit NBA prospect. Not just someone who will garner consideration, but a player that they expect to eventually be a shoo-in first round pick. Kid was a McD's, and showed a lot of moxie intermittently when he played last year. There is no doubt in my mind that if our roster had been constructed differently, then he could have handled playing more and would have been a solid contributor.

That said, I don't agree with your assessment of how last year would have unfolded. For a variety of reasons, MCW was the fourth guard in what was primarily a three guard rotation. JB sees these guys in practice every day, and I trust his decision making about how to distribute the minutes. There were times when all four of the guards sat. There were times when Scoop--our 5th year senior--found himself on the bench while Dion and Triche finished games. There was a stretch when Dion was mired in a slump, and Scoop / Triche played more. And there were certainly plenty of times when Triche found himself on the bench.

MCW not playing a ton last year isn't an indictment of his ability--and will have no bearing on how the rest of his career here plays out. Playing behind a more experienced guard trio might actually benefit him in the long run, since he was so skinny last year, and he had the opportunity to be shown the ropes, and also since Scoop took him under his wing. I think that next year, MCW is going to be much more prepared to be an impact lead guard than he would have been last year, regardless of his natural ability. I have some [minor] concerns about his physique, his ball handling / high dribble, and his ability to handle pressure. I'm really looking forward to seeing MCW dispel those concerns. It's his team now--there won't be any more sitting.

When I did my preseason practice report prior to the season, I reported how one of the SU staffers indicated that the coaches viewed MCW as a legit NBA prospect. Not just someone who will garner consideration, but a player that they expect to eventually be a shoo-in first round pick. Kid was a McD's, and showed a lot of moxie intermittently when he played last year. There is no doubt in my mind that if our roster had been constructed differently, then he could have handled playing more and would have been a solid contributor.

That said, I don't agree with your assessment of how last year would have unfolded. For a variety of reasons, MCW was the fourth guard in what was primarily a three guard rotation. JB sees these guys in practice every day, and I trust his decision making about how to distribute the minutes. There were times when all four of the guards sat. There were times when Scoop--our 5th year senior--found himself on the bench while Dion and Triche finished games. There was a stretch when Dion was mired in a slump, and Scoop / Triche played more. And there were certainly plenty of times when Triche found himself on the bench.

MCW not playing a ton last year isn't an indictment of his ability--and will have no bearing on how the rest of his career here plays out. Playing behind a more experienced guard trio might actually benefit him in the long run, since he was so skinny last year, and he had the opportunity to be shown the ropes, and also since Scoop took him under his wing. I think that next year, MCW is going to be much more prepared to be an impact lead guard than he would have been last year, regardless of his natural ability. I have some [minor] concerns about his physique, his ball handling / high dribble, and his ability to handle pressure. I'm really looking forward to seeing MCW dispel those concerns. It's his team now--there won't be any more sitting.

I dont see how as a future nba player that we both agree on cant crack the rotation with 2 players who will never sniff the nba in scoop and triche ahead of him. I think its more chemistry and keeping the team and egos in check.And his physique has nothing to do with it imo.

I dont see how as a future nba player that we both agree on cant crack the rotation with 2 players who will never sniff the nba in scoop and triche ahead of him. I think its more chemistry and keeping the team and egos in check.And his physique has nothing to do with it imo.

Agree to disagree there. Don't underestimate the value of experience. And don't underestimate the coaches perspective on who should play. We had a season where we went 34-3, and won just about every close game that could have gone either way. I'd say that JB did just about everything right in terms of how he managed the rotation. :noidea:

I'd also caution that people temper their expectations for MCW, at least initially. Everyone is very excited to see what he can do, but I dread the reaction that will undoubtedly happen here if he isn't Anfernee Hardaway the first game.

Agree to disagree there. Don't underestimate the value of experience. And don't underestimate the coaches perspective on who should play. We had a season where we went 34-3, and won just about every close game that could have gone either way. I'd say that JB did just about everything right in terms of how he managed the rotation. :noidea:

I'd also caution that people temper their expectations for MCW, at least initially. Everyone is very excited to see what he can do, but I dread the reaction that will undoubtedly happen here if he isn't Anfernee Hardaway the first game.

There's no turning back now, RF2044. If MCW doesn't give us All-American play from the the opening game, it's only because JB stifled his development by playing that horrible fifth year senior Jardine and that no talent legacy Triche.

Amen. People are talking as if he already has an NBA contract on the table. He isn't even slightly close to being NBA ready yet.

Amen. People are talking as if he already has an NBA contract on the table. He isn't even slightly close to being NBA ready yet.

At least a third of players drafted each year aren't ready to sniff the NBA, it may even be closer to half. The NBA draft is based on potential in many cases.

If we need 2/3 guards in 2013 my top targets would be;
Tyler Ennis
Allerick Freeman
Stanford Robinson
I think Freeman will end up at Kansas. One guy SU should be offering the stable to is Rondae Jefferson. Kentucky starting to take notice of him, he's a Philly kid.

I'd be thrilled with a class of Ennis, Robinson, Jefferson and Okonoboh, personally.

2013:
G - Ennis
G - Jefferson
G/F - Jefferson
F/C - Okonoboh

2014:
G - Whitehead
F - Vonleh
F - McCollough
C - Johnson

We're really gonna need guards very soon. The year after that, we're really gonna need forwards and a center. JB and the staff should make this happen. Yup, making that my sig.

Using Johnny and Dion as a litmus test..
Johnny stayed 2 years, Dion 2 and both had more freshmen experience.
Both had leadership qualities as sophmores and had they stayed a 3rd year the hype would have been rediculous.

We will have to wait and see.:noidea:

Like it or not, JB trusted the other guys more. I think he recognizes Michael's talent. It's the decision making that is most important. The other guys had JB's trust, and it showed in our turnover margin, and our generally excellent late game execution.

Thats what you call it, trust. : )

Dude, his #1 goal is winning every game. I don't think there was a conspiracy to keep Michael on the bench this year.

Playing mcw more wouldnt over hindered winning games imo.

I think that Boeheim worried if he would be strong enough with the ball, bringing it up against physical, Big East level defense.

I happen to think that's fair. Michael kind of looked like Bambi out there. I just trusted the other guys more on the dribble in a big spot. I know his numbers are great - that's just a feeling.

This years team would not have been 34-3 with MCW as the starting pg. They would also not have beaten Ohio St. with MCW as the starting pg. The only question is, what would their seed have been with MCW, and who would they have had to play?

Personally, I don't think they would have gotten farther than E8.

Getting MCW at least SOME minutes wouldn't have hurt at all, the kid makes mistakes but let's be real there were spots during the tournament where you had to say, he couldn't have done any worse than Scoop. I didn't think his not playing had anything to do with trust, but morseso to do with him blowing up on the sideline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom