So what toots your horn? | Syracusefan.com

So what toots your horn?

SWC75

Bored Historian
What games in this bowl line-up will you be planning your schedule around:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8048429/2012-13-bowl-schedule

The Pinstripe and the National title game, obviously. Baylor-UCLA will ahve some fireworks. LSU vs. Clemson could be interesting and I like the Wisconsin-Stanford match-up. I'd like to see Cincinnati vs. Duke - in basketball.

How'd you like to be the PR guy in charge of hyping UCF vs. Ball State, East Carolina vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, Western Kentucky vs. Central Michigan, San Jose State vs. Bowling Green, Ohio U. vs. Louisiana-Monroe and Kent State vs. Arkansas State?
couchburn

I didn't know what to expect when reading the title of this post...

I hate the bowl season due to the teams long lay offs causing the games to be sloppy and barely watchable.

Because I love sports, I'll watch SU, Oregon and the Championship game at a minimum.

I will watch 4 games only

Pinstripe
NC Game
Oregon/K State
NIU/FSU

The other ones I'd rather watch a college hoops game. Sad because I used to love bowl season back in the 80's.

I will watch 4 games only

Pinstripe
NC Game
Oregon/K State
NIU/FSU

The other ones I'd rather watch a college hoops game. Sad because I used to love bowl season back in the 80's.
This^

If I had to rank them all

1. SU/WVU

2. Bama/ND

3. Oregon/K-St.

4. Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma
5. FSU/NIU
6. LSU/Clemson

7. Northwestern/Miss. St.
8. Minnesota/Texas Tech
9. UGA/Nebraska

10. Cincinnati/Duke
11. Rutgers/Va. Tech
12. Pitt/Ole Miss

the rest of them

I would have liked to see Txas A&M vs. K-State. Manziel vs. Jones. But Manziel vs. Landry could be interesting, too.

I enjoy watching as many bowl games as I can and just because a team doesn't have a big time program name doesn't mean good football isn't going to be played.

I would have liked to see Txas A&M vs. K-State. Manziel vs. Jones. But Manziel vs. Landry could be interesting, too.
You mean Klein? Who's jones?

Honestly, bowl season begins my full conversion into Basketball season. There may be a handful of games that I may watch...based on free time/curiosity. But as for ones that I actually circle on the calendar, none outside of SU.

The Pinstripe and the National title game, obviously. Baylor-UCLA will ahve some fireworks. LSU vs. Clemson could be interesting and I like the Wisconsin-Stanford match-up. I'd like to see Cincinnati vs. Duke - in basketball.
Just went through the full bowl line up. You're right about Baylor-UCLA, LSU-Clemson, and A&M-Oklahoma. Those are the three non-BCS games that stand out to me. There are so many games that have absolutely no appeal. I don't remember it being this bad every year.

SU vs WVU
Oregon v KState
UL Monroe vs OU

On the whole a very underwhelming bowl lineup for TV viewing personally. I'll watch the title game but I hate both teams to the extent that if one of them wins I will be disappointed. I like the bowl season because you get to face teams you wouldn't otherwise play. Not this year. I didn't really miss playing WVU so much this year that I wanted to play them in a bowl game. Tex A&M v Okl? Geez thats a novelty matchup, never seen that before except for 19 of the past 20 years. And when is the last time the Rose Bowl hosted an unranked team? Hope they're loving their insistence on a B10 "champ?" in their game. Good for the MAC getting a BCS bid. I went to a MAC school and and happy for the conference. Unfortunatley NIU only averaged about 15,000 fans to its home games this year and now they're supposed to sell 17,500 to as game 1500 miles away. Too many .500 teams in bowls and to be hoenst 4 MAC teams in bowls tells me there are way too many bowls. Lastly I feel bad for the SU players. I just don't see a late December football game in NYC being a reward. Great for the NE fans that want an extra game but doesn't really feel like a bowl game to me, even from my living room.

i will watch most as long as my espn bowl contest entry still has a shot to win some prize..

i would watch more if it was easier to make bets online

On the whole a very underwhelming bowl lineup for TV viewing personally. I'll watch the title game but I hate both teams to the extent that if one of them wins I will be disappointed. I like the bowl season because you get to face teams you wouldn't otherwise play. Not this year...
In five years or so, matchups between former conference rivals will be interesting. But not the season after they've made the changes.

Games of interest to me are:
SU vs WVU
Oregon v KState

Otherwise, I won't go out of my way to watch any games. Whatever time I have available, I'll flip between whatever multiple games are on at a time and pick the most interesting one. Closeness of the game and exciting play will be the main considerations, but without strong rooting interests in most of the games (even hard to root against anyone since teams I don't like are often matched up - see RU vs VPI) the contrasts in uniforms/how the game looks in high def will probably also be a big factor.

Old man on the porch here, (and the porch is getitng rather chilly these days).

Years ago I got a book called "Big Bowl Football". It was about teams that had had special season- among the best in their history- being matched in battles between the top teams in the country, the ones we've read about all year. That's still my image of what a bowl game is supposed to be about. I'd rather have perhaps a dzoen bowls with an 8 win minimum or a Top 25 ranking as the stand. Even that seems to be a compromise between the concept I grew up with and the demands of modern college sports economics.

I also miss having multiple New Year's Day games that have an imapct on the championship. While I'm a playoff advocate, as long as we aren't going to have one I'd just rather have a 1 vs. 2 game each year on one of the New Year's Day games that is not advertised as a championship game. If another team with a similar record looks more impressive in another New Year's day game, they could still be voted #1. The other games should matter.

Years ago I got a book called "Big Bowl Football". It was about teams that had had special season- among the best in their history- being matched in battles between the top teams in the country, the ones we've read about all year. That's still my image of what a bowl game is supposed to be about. I'd rather have perhaps a dzoen bowls with an 8 win minimum or a Top 25 ranking as the stand. Even that seems to be a compromise between the concept I grew up with and the demands of modern college sports economics.

I also miss having multiple New Year's Day games that have an imapct on the championship. While I'm a playoff advocate, as long as we aren't going to have one I'd just rather have a 1 vs. 2 game each year on one of the New Year's Day games that is not advertised as a championship game. If another team with a similar record looks more impressive in another New Year's day game, they could still be voted #1. The other games should matter.
I miss having all the major bowls on New Years Day. This splittign them up so each has their day likely causes me to watch less of them. I want to gorge on them on NYD, not have to keep remembering what day what game is if I even care.

Less than 20 years ago Syracuse teams that finished 6-4-1 and 7-4 in back to back years (1993, 1994) didn't make bowl games. Back then there were 19.

for me...su

not for me 'bama, n.d or rutgirls.

the rest of games depends what else is going on,but will watch some

How'd you like to be the PR guy in charge of hyping UCF vs. Ball State, East Carolina vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, Western Kentucky vs. Central Michigan, San Jose State vs. Bowling Green, Ohio U. vs. Louisiana-Monroe and Kent State vs. Arkansas State?
couchburn
Well that would usually be my wife.

What else am I going to do on New Years's Day, watch hockey? So put those games on my list.

The 2 obvious ones are Pinstripe and NC.

Cotton is interesting, Fiesta is interesting. Will probably watch Sugar. I think the Orange Bowl will be awful so if my hangover is bad enough I just may go to bed after the Rose Bowl.

Will watch Chick Fil A if it works out with NYE plans, I like that matchup.

Belk and Russell will be what you show terrorist detainees if you want to get them to talk.

Less than 20 years ago Syracuse teams that finished 6-4-1 and 7-4 in back to back years (1993, 1994) didn't make bowl games. Back then there were 19.

1960 7-2-0, 1963 8-2-0, 1965 7-3-0, (after a 7-3-0 team went to the Sugar Bowl the year before), 1967 8-2-0. All no-bowl teams. There were too few bowls then, waaay too many now. A dozen bowls with an 8 win or Top 25 minimum would do just fine.

I'm gonna have to record the Pinstripe. I've already committed to helping with a basketball camp for low income innercity kids from 12:00-5:00.:( Other than that I won't go out of my way to watch anything else. I'll probably catch some stuff on new years day (which should the last day for bowls).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom