So Wildhack..he has to be fired, right? | Syracusefan.com

So Wildhack..he has to be fired, right?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
At this point the entire athletic department is a shell of its former self. I’m assuming there’s conversations happening at the highest level about Wildhack. Seems like he has to be on the chopping block based on the disastrous state of the core revenue generating athletic programs. It was a flyer to hire him based on his background. I think it was a failed experiment. The teams and buildings may look pretty, but the end result on the field is hot garbage.

At this point the entire athletic department is a shell of its former self. I’m assuming there’s conversations happening at the highest level about Wildhack. Seems like he has to be on the chopping block based on the disastrous state of the core revenue generating athletic programs. It was a flyer to hire him based on his background. I think it was a failed experiment. The teams and buildings may look pretty, but the end result on the field is hot garbage.
It’s funny you say that and I agree. He has seen a decline in the 3 big sports under his watch. The women’s team has had a big fiasco in the past. We have had 2 players ejected in back to back games.

Our teams (both football and basketball) are mentally fragile…not disciplined…he has made little positive efforts in managing the coaches. Fine, he have a bigger pool for the assistants, but unfortunately it starts at the top for both programs. They are declining.

It was sad seeing the dome a morgue tonight. Although the crowd was into the game. Jim continues to get out coached and outtecruited. This is not nothing new.

It’s funny you say that and I agree. He has seen a decline in the 3 big sports under his watch. The women’s team has had a big fiasco in the past. We have had 2 players ejected in back to back games.

Our teams (both football and basketball) are mentally fragile…not disciplined…he has made little positive efforts in managing the coaches. Fine, he have a bigger pool for the assistants, but unfortunately it starts at the top for both programs. They are declining.

It was sad seeing the dome a morgue tonight. Although the crowd was into the game. Jim continues to get out coached and outtecruited. This is not nothing new.
I don’t trust Wildhack’s ability to hire top tier coaches and hold them accountable to deliver results. Therefore he needs to go.

Unfortunately, Syracuse hired an individual who had no experience running an athletic department and he had no experience hiring and firing coaches. It was an out of the box hire. Don’t get me wrong, he has done a great job raising money and improving facilities, but the on field product has been and continues to deteriorate and it is his job to fix it.

I was kinda thinking the same. Just letting JB, Dino and Desko ride for so long was lazy. And who knows about Gait? He had the worst record (4-10) since the first year of the program in 1916 (1-5-2). When the lack of success is so wide the one in charge of all of them needs to go. I don't care if the BOT is limiting him or not. He wouldn't be the first person fired for his bosses mistakes.

I was kinda thinking the same. Just letting JB, Dino and Desko ride for so long was lazy. And who knows about Gait? He had the worst record (4-10) since the first year of the program in 1916 (1-5-2). When the lack of success is so wide the one in charge of all of them needs to go. I don't care if the BOT is limiting him or not. He wouldn't be the first person fired for his bosses mistakes.
I don’t think Wildhack is committed to winning

Fwiw I think the football program is in much better shape than hoops and Syracuse has shown a commitment to winning in my opinion. Anae and Beck probably had plenty of options and didn’t come cheap. Barbers and White are also paid pretty well. Wildhack has done everything short of firing Babers and I for one am glad he didn’t… not sure bringing a new coach changes anything.

the football team that started the season was a top 10 team… the one that played Clemson was top 20. But then injuries took their toll. If Babers can keep the staff together, finally figure out the oline, recruit/develop a few skill players and I see some back to back winning seasons,

The hoops program on the other hand needs a complete rebuild. There is no way all 6 freshmen are back next year, we lose three seniors and as far as I am aware we have zero recruits. The hoops program is s train wreck combined with an multi eighteen wheeler accident.

Ha ha ha ha ha…

He does need to change the basketball coach - much like HE changed the lacrosse coach. Let’s see what happens.

To be fair, college athletics have been in steady decline. There are 5 football programs that have a chance to win a championship in any given year and that makes it increasingly difficult for most fanbases to care about their programs. There is a huge disparity in money and Syracuse simply can't compete against the 10 big money programs. Notre Dame has trouble competing for a national championship in football, it is why Brian Kelly left for LSU.

Basketball has been a mess ever since players started jumping to the NBA at 18 or 19. Coaches are forced to build around 4 year players without NBA talent or play the one-and-done lottery (ideally some combination). There has been a lot of dirty pool surrounding top basketball recruits.

Wildhack's job is to raise as much money as possible and build the infrastructure that will lead to future success. I love college sports and the current state makes me sad. There has to be a major reckoning in collegiate sports. There is too much money in play for the NFL not to wet their beak in college football and form some type of partnership.

To be fair, college athletics have been in steady decline. There are 5 football programs that have a chance to win a championship in any given year and that makes it increasingly difficult for most fanbases to care about their programs. There is a huge disparity in money and Syracuse simply can't compete against the 10 big money programs. Notre Dame has trouble competing for a national championship in football, it is why Brian Kelly left for LSU.

Basketball has been a mess ever since players started jumping to the NBA at 18 or 19. Coaches are forced to build around 4 year players without NBA talent or play the one-and-done lottery (ideally some combination). There has been a lot of dirty pool surrounding top basketball recruits.

Wildhack's job is to raise as much money as possible and build the infrastructure that will lead to future success. I love college sports and the current state makes me sad. There has to be a major reckoning in collegiate sports. There is too much money in play for the NFL not to wet their beak in college football and form some type of partnership.
You are over thinking this. Syracuse football can be a consistent winner with the right coach and upset some top teams. That creates excitement.

As for basketball, I think you are jaded by the end of JB’s career which is mediocre at best. When JB leaves and a new dynamic coach is hired, Cuse basketball will rebound quickly.

This isn’t happening. The decisions you want him to make aren‘t or haven’t been his fully to make from what I’ve been told.

If this is the case, and I believe that it is, Wildhack has to know that at some point this mess is going to define his career. He'll be known as the guy who presided over the decline of one of the winningest programs in basketball history and handled the succession of a coaching legend in spectacularly bad fashion. At some point, this mess is going to make him toxic.

If Wildhack has any instinct of preserving his own name and legacy, he should try to force the changes he thinks are necessary, and if he is shot down, he should resign.

Doesn’t matter.

Fire the AD, don’t fire the AD, nobody cares.

Syracuse is not a big time program.

It plays in a big time conference, with 13 other big time programs, 14 if you count nd, but it doesn’t act like one.

Even this board doesn’t act like one.

The Athletic Dept, the football team, the hoop team and how we look at and discuss ourselves, are all being done like a mom & pop shop.
Walmart is at the door, it’s time to sell or it goes out of business and then there will be nothing to show for over a 100 years of great hard work.

Bingo. The key aspect of the AD is raising money. He’s doing very well here and remade the entire AD. Nobody’s perfect but I think he’s done pretty well. Not sure anyone fully appreciates the mess that he inherited on the administrative side. Gross destroyed the department and set it back a decade. Coyle was barely here.

John has made some good coaching hires too in non revenue sports. Boeheim was going to be a problem no matter who the AD was.

We all wanted Dino extended when he did. I think the transition on lacrosse side was handled pretty well. It’s always going to be a problem with popular alums in head coaching roles.

At this point I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. Just curious, how does this board not act like the board of a big-time program?
I’ve created numerous threads to discuss the dismissal of JB….and they all got deleted.

We can’t even speak of such things, it’s crazy. I have defended the guy through all if his Probations and issues.

Now it’s time.

And we can’t discuss it.

It’s so minor league.

Hell, this will be deleted. Hope you see it 1st.

Last edited:
I’m assuming there’s conversations happening at the highest level about Wildhack. Seems like he has to be on the chopping block based on the disastrous state of the core revenue generating athletic programs.
Believe what you want. But from the very little that's been shared with me, this take might be 180 degrees off from the actual conversations. The administration of the AD office was a total disaster when JW was hired.

Doesn’t matter.

Fire the AD, don’t fire the AD, nobody cares.

Syracuse is not a big time program.

It plays in a big time conference, with 13 other big time programs, 14 if you count nd, but it doesn’t act like one.

Even this board doesn’t act like one.

The Athletic Dept, the football team, the hoop team and how we look at and discuss ourselves, are all being done like a mom & pop shop.
Walmart is at the door, it’s time to sell or it goes out of business and then there will be nothing to show for over a 100 years of great hard work.
Isn’t this a little over the top? There are maybe 2 posters I see who always defend JB.
Syracuse football is competitive this year.
It has been competitive since Greg Robinson left. We may not win but it’s not bottoming it out like basketball is.

Wildhack is JB’s boss. All we need is for Wildhack to behave like that and not like he is his friend first.

Bingo. The key aspect of the AD is raising money. He’s doing very well here and remade the entire AD. Nobody’s perfect but I think he’s done pretty well. Not sure anyone fully appreciates the mess that he inherited on the administrative side. Gross destroyed the department and set it back a decade. Coyle was barely here.

John has made some good coaching hires too in non revenue sports. Boeheim was going to be a problem no matter who the AD was.

We all wanted Dino extended when he did. I think the transition on lacrosse side was handled pretty well. It’s always going to be a problem with popular alums in head coaching roles.
"The key aspect of the AD is raising money" - disagree. "The role of an athletic director is to manage all facets of an athletic program, including scheduling, hiring coaches, promoting programs and events, ordering equipment, constructing budgets, and facilitating operations. Athletic directors also often help fundraise events and supervise sports personnel."

"John has made some good coaching hires too in non revenue sports." Which sports are we talking about ?

"Boeheim was going to be a problem no matter who the AD was." Agree but that's why we needed a strong and well established AD. JW was a TV executive - zero AD experience. It's almost as if whoever made the decision to hire him was in the mindset that the AD job was transforming into a pure marketing role.

"We all wanted Dino extended when he did" Sort of agree but the plunder was how the extension was negotiated - no performance based incentives/penalties.

"I think the transition on lacrosse side was handled pretty well." Disagree. 4-10 1st season including 6 straight losses all with the new HC not taking responsibility for the implosion and actually pushing his players under the bus.

Isn’t this a little over the top? There are maybe 2 posters I see who always defend JB.
It has been competitive since Greg Robinson left. We may not win but it’s not bottoming it out like basketball is.

Wildhack is JB’s boss. All we need is for Wildhack to behave like that and not like he is his friend first.
No, nobody cares.

If a new AD comes in, he will look a hero in a year or so anyway and everyone will get excited.

Reason being, JB will be gone, football will either build upon Dino’s 2nd beat season ever (which would be like P’s 2nd worst season ever) or he will be canned as hope always springs eternal and it’s likely lax will start winning again…and the new guy will credit for them all.

While if Wildhack stays, his leash will continue to get shorter…or no one will care for he will get credit and we can kick that can down the road.

No, nobody cares.

If a new AD comes in, he will look a hero in a year or so anyway and everyone will get excited.

Reason being, JB will be gone, football will either build upon Dino’s 2nd beat season ever (which would be like P’s 2nd worst season ever) or he will be canned as hope always springs eternal and it’s likely lax will start winning again…and the new guy will credit for them all.

While if Wildhack stays, his leash will continue to get shorter…or no one will care for he will get credit and we can kick that can down the road.
Wildhack is going nowhere. He gave up a lucrative career to become SU AD.
He isn’t getting fired.
He just needs become more assertive publicly instead of passive image he has.

Wildhack is JB’s boss if he won’t tell him what he needs to hear then the program is dead anyway. I would assume Wildhack is just being cheap in that he doesn’t want to pay 2 basketball coaches as Coach Boeheim will be paid whatever is left on his contract which is why I would like to know how long Coach Boeheim’s contract has left.

He keeps getting huge donations, from the BoTs POV, he’s doing a great job. Don’t like him, stop donating
Those donations...Do you think it is because of JW or could it be that they are in desperation for fear that the SU Athletic legacies are going up in flames ?

Silent support exists