Some observations after Niagara | Syracusefan.com

Some observations after Niagara

billsin01

All American
Interesting game for a bunch of reasons.

• Saw a bunch of guys off the bench early. This will be depressing for the folks who love nothing more than complaining about the rotation. The bench's first go-round in the first half was, not surprisingly, a little less than great as the lead shrunk from 19 (22 after Woody's three) to 10 before a couple starters came back and it went back up to 14 at the half. That said, at least we can all agree it is nice to have at least a game where this isn't the primary point of discussion.

• Joe's clearly not right, at least right now. His intensity on the defensive end, admittedly not exactly his calling card anyway, has been brutal. I know he's going to be on the shorter side forever and that will be an issue at times, but he needs to be active. He wasn't and had a tough game. On the plus side I thought his shot selection was good and those are shots he can make. But hopefully he gets right sooner than later, though if it is COVID-related, that can be a looooonnnngggg recovery period for some so who knows?

• Kadary's offense was good, but really liked his play on the defensive end. His play on the defensive end was Rautins/MCW-like for at least this game. Makes in-bounds passes dangerous, covers a ton of ground and is a constant pest there. Moves his feet well to slow down penetration. Just a really impactful defender. Offensively, the shooting looks like it could be a limitation but he has a nice change of speed/direction that allows him to create problems in the paint. Solid passer too. Lot to like here.

• Woody! Breakout game for Woody, which is great b/c it's another player for people to complain about P/T. Not sure we'll see him in real games (though that may change with COVID stuff) but another guy who defensively made an impression. Moves his feet really well for a guy that big and got some time at the top of the zone. That's a game-changer for him. Drained the three but was really active in general. Really impressed me in a short time.

• We get so little out of offensive sets. It was interesting watching Niagara run their offense and get a bunch of decent looks, particularly the first 10 minutes. They didn't convert a lot but they got looks. Thought Gminski made a really good point that we, on the other hand, do an awful lot of dribbling and one-on-one. He's right. We had some decent assist numbers (15) but most of those came in transition. That's fine -- it's good to be able to run, but there is not a lot of ball movement or opportunities coming off those half-court sets. That's an issue for a team that won't be particularly dynamic in that setting against better teams.

• Marek is such a good complimentary player. The stat line wasn't eye-popping but he's one of those guys who doesn't need the ball in his hands to make an impact. Unselfish, hustling when we're up 30 or down 30. Really love watching him play even though he won't go down as one of our best players.

• Tough one for Bras. The missed shots are one thing but he got stripped going to the basket four times. That said, thought he was active and moved well. Might see some time here if there are COVID issues, so hope he settles in and plays better.

• Dominated the glass. Obviously we should against a team like Niagara (small, not very athletic) but it was a drubbing on the boards. If we can get a healthy Sidibe back at some point (encouraging that he was walking with a sleeve on his knee), then we could hold our own on the glass, which is would be nice.
Overall, nice to get an easy win and see some new faces. Could be a very interesting year if Sidibe is out for 4 weeks and buddy for two. Just got to roll with it I suppose.

• Saw a bunch of guys off the bench early. This will be depressing for the folks who love nothing more than complaining about the rotation. The bench's first go-round in the first half was, not surprisingly, a little less than great as the lead shrunk from 19 (22 after Woody's three) to 10 before a couple starters came back and it went back up to 14 at the half. That said, at least we can all agree it is nice to have at least a game where this isn't the primary point of discussion.

• Joe's clearly not right, at least right now. His intensity on the defensive end, admittedly not exactly his calling card anyway, has been brutal. I know he's going to be on the shorter side forever and that will be an issue at times, but he needs to be active. He wasn't and had a tough game. On the plus side I thought his shot selection was good and those are shots he can make. But hopefully he gets right sooner than later, though if it is COVID-related, that can be a looooonnnngggg recovery period for some so who knows?

• Kadary's offense was good, but really liked his play on the defensive end. His play on the defensive end was Rautins/MCW-like for at least this game. Makes in-bounds passes dangerous, covers a ton of ground and is a constant pest there. Moves his feet well to slow down penetration. Just a really impactful defender. Offensively, the shooting looks like it could be a limitation but he has a nice change of speed/direction that allows him to create problems in the paint. Solid passer too. Lot to like here.

• Woody! Breakout game for Woody, which is great b/c it's another player for people to complain about P/T. Not sure we'll see him in real games (though that may change with COVID stuff) but another guy who defensively made an impression. Moves his feet really well for a guy that big and got some time at the top of the zone. That's a game-changer for him. Drained the three but was really active in general. Really impressed me in a short time.

• We get so little out of offensive sets. It was interesting watching Niagara run their offense and get a bunch of decent looks, particularly the first 10 minutes. They didn't convert a lot but they got looks. Thought Gminski made a really good point that we, on the other hand, do an awful lot of dribbling and one-on-one. He's right. We had some decent assist numbers (15) but most of those came in transition. That's fine -- it's good to be able to run, but there is not a lot of ball movement or opportunities coming off those half-court sets. That's an issue for a team that won't be particularly dynamic in that setting against better teams.

• Marek is such a good complimentary player. The stat line wasn't eye-popping but he's one of those guys who doesn't need the ball in his hands to make an impact. Unselfish, hustling when we're up 30 or down 30. Really love watching him play even though he won't go down as one of our best players.

• Tough one for Bras. The missed shots are one thing but he got stripped going to the basket four times. That said, thought he was active and moved well. Might see some time here if there are COVID issues, so hope he settles in and plays better.

• Dominated the glass. Obviously we should against a team like Niagara (small, not very athletic) but it was a drubbing on the boards. If we can get a healthy Sidibe back at some point (encouraging that he was walking with a sleeve on his knee), then we could hold our own on the glass, which is would be nice.
Overall, nice to get an easy win and see some new faces. Could be a very interesting year if Sidibe is out for 4 weeks and buddy for two. Just got to roll with it I suppose.

Great points. Our offensive sets have been so ISO oriented for a long time. That said we did screen a little better and multiple possessions had 3-5 passes working into a shot. Marek has to be more aggressive asking for the ball if he is not acting as a screener. He is a good complimentary player but he gets lost at times. When Griffin was forced to go 1v1 late in the clock a part of that was Marek not working to get open. He got better as the game went on too.

I think the point that Gminski made in conjunction with the dribbling and the 1 v 1 comment was that MD had seen so little of the ball.

We'll see what type of PG KR is in the half-court but having MD get more touches in the half-court would help with getting more out of our offensive sets.

Two other points I forgot to mention:

Agree with someone else who posted that Griffin is a little shot happy. That said, I think that comes from JB -- feel like he identifies a scorer and asks them to be aggressive. The question with Griff is whether or not he starts knocking down shots. Shooting under 30% from the field right now and those numbers don't generally go up when you hit ACC play. Hopefully they do for him. Weird looking shot but he's clearly an asset -- the question is whether he's a poor man's Elijah or a little better than that.

Guerrier is a tough kid. That's really it. Just a tough, physical kid, which is great.

We have offensive sets? That’s news to me
They were running a bit of a weave with the players up top that looked a little bit more organized than what I saw last year.

Two other points I forgot to mention:

Agree with someone else who posted that Griffin is a little shot happy. That said, I think that comes from JB -- feel like he identifies a scorer and asks them to be aggressive. The question with Griff is whether or not he starts knocking down shots. Shooting under 30% from the field right now and those numbers don't generally go up when you hit ACC play. Hopefully they do for him. Weird looking shot but he's clearly an asset -- the question is whether he's a poor man's Elijah or a little better than that.

Guerrier is a tough kid. That's really it. Just a tough, physical kid, which is great.
When it came out that he played the entire season last year with a very painful groin injury, it should come as no surprise the quantum leap he has been able to make when 100% healthy.

And tough doesn't begin to describe a kid who plays through that.

HIPAA almost makes it worse for athletes because, if their performance is suffering or sub-par, fans have no idea whether a kid is playing through something, or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom