Some of my leftover thoughts about our interior defense... | Syracusefan.com

Some of my leftover thoughts about our interior defense...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Just watched the bayler game again. Small sample size but just a few small observations and brainstormings from that game.

1. Baye Keita has really lacked the lateral quickness this year I remember him being much quicker defensively in the past. He has been going with his long stance with his feet as usual, but the lateral speed hasn't been there.

2. I don't know if its just early in the year, but this team is lacking some of the weakside shotblocking skills it is capable of. I don't see Rak getting the chance to utilize those weakside shotblocking skills enough this year. I think a big part of that is the lack of that trap inside this year without him at center. We have our best chance at trapping when rak is at center, because opposing centers are using strength against kieta and getting around keitas lateral quickeness before the double is forming. And Dajuan has even less lateral quickness then Keita, and unlike keita is lacking the baseline recovery to even stay in the game at times.

3. Haven't seen us go with Rak and Keita on the floor together much this year. A big part is Dajuan starts with Rak instead of Keita with Rak. It can't be much worse then Gbinije and Keita on the floor together. However, we have to go with Gbinije and a center, we don't need to go with Rak and Keita.

4.I almost want to see Keita and Rak work on a set later in the shot clock for him and Rak to pull a backline switch if opponents don't have a shooter in the corner on Raks side. Honestly, I don't think Keita would be much more of a liability at the four then at center atleast he would be able to help trap. And the more important thing is Rak would give Keita a extra second or two at center to double, that Kieta wouldn't give Rak. With both of them being weakside shotblockers that could be a good thing.
I wonder how it would effect Keita rebounding further from the basket though.

Last edited:
Baye doesn't seem to be favoring anything, but I agree: he's not moving as well as he usually does.