Some old-time heroics | Syracusefan.com

Some old-time heroics

SWC75

Bored Historian
Now that I've depressed, (or angered) everyone with my "Is tonight the night?" post, I feel the need to make amends.

Growing up, I loved watching Errol Flynn films. Their combination of romantic adventure and exciting action thrilled me and kept me on a high for days afterwards. These days I enjoy listening to the "soundtrack suites" or watching clips form the old films on You-tube. I often have them on when I'm typing out my longer projects. The ebb and flow of the music, sometimes exciting, sometimes romantic, sometimes sad but always with the big action ending and the euphoric finish seems to parallel the action of an exciting sporting event, especially one where the good guys win.

So to pump you guys up, here are a series of links to the music of Errol Flynn movies:

First The Sea Hawk, my favorite Flynn film, where he plays a Sir Francis Drake like character who captures a Spanish ship, gets captured on a secret mission to Panama, gets chained to n an oar in a Spanish warship, leads a rebellion to take over the ship,. gets back to England in time to have a sword fight with the bad guy and warn the queen of the coming Armanda:

Here Erroll and the Light Brigade take ti to the hole against the evil Surat Khan and the Russian Army in "The Charge of the Light Brigade". The bad guys think they are safe up on the hill. Boy are they in for a surprize!

Of course it could be a trap, but at elast we'll dy heroically as General Custer did in "They Died with their Boots On::

But at least we'll get a good fight song out of it:

But maybe we'll whip the heavyweight anyway as Gentleman Jim Corbett did to the Great John L. Sullivan:

And then we can have a happy ending:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom