Some thoughts on Siena | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts on Siena

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Hard to take a ton away from the first game against a clearly inferior opponent but I will do my best.

Thought overall Siena was a better team then last year but they simply didn't have the horses to hang with SU and when the game got away from them late in the 1st quarter it was lights out. I though there faceoff guy did a nice job early against Ben and was close to even through a majority of the 1st until Ben just took over and did what Ben Williams usually does. Ben will absolutely have his hands full the next two weeks so I was surprised he played as long as he did and that it was Varello not Paduda who took most of the backup draws. Interesting.

From an offensive standpoint it was hard not be impressed with the attack unit and Bomberry. Mariano is such a heady player that his move back to his natural attack position has been pretty much seamless. He operated at X, up top like a midfielder and off ball without issue. He clearly is going to be the Kevin Rice/Dylan Donahue of this year squad. Nice game from Evans, played within himself, looked deadly with time and room, and had minimal turnovers. Seemed comfortable for the first time in a while and did a nice job handing out 3 helpers to go along with the 5 goals. Solomon's play was an outstanding development, Had a nice Kevin Rice esque wrap around goal and seemed to have no fear operating with the ball. Certainly can't expect 4 goals a game from him but his continued development will be key for this team moving forward. For the midfield Bomberry is as good as advertised. God help you if he has time and room because its going to be a goal. Thought he did a nice job off ball to making himself available on runs to the goal and obviously that behind the back goal was a thing of beauty. Was disappointed in the remaining starting midfield. Thought Lane and Salcido each had 2 or 3 looks they normally bury that were off cage. Each did have a good look saved as well including a low burner by Salcido that I was shocked the goalie saved. Both looked good in the two scrimmages so I won't read to much into it and they did have 4 assists between them (3Salcido 1 Lane). Would like to see Lane press that size and height advantage on the bull dodge, he started a few times but then broke it off. Liked what I saw form Rehfuss in garbage time, appears to be an adept finisher. Wonder if he would make sense on the man up unit in place of Thorpe.

The second midfield line was also disappointing in that they didn't generate a single point between the 4 main guys rotating. I thought of the four Dearth looked the most active and he did have a shot hit the cross bar. His size and power are going to be huge assets when he adjusts to the D1 level. Carlin and Trimboli got a lot of run but not much in the way of production. First game for Trimboli so he's still getting his feet under him. Was hoping Simmons excellent pre-season would carry over but he looked more like he did last season. Again only first game but the second line has for the most part been black hole the last few years, we really need to get some production from there this year. McKinney and a few others got some run on the third line late, McKinney has really taken a tumble on the depth chart. Was nice to see Sam Romano get some PT in his first game at SU and coming off an injury. Two names to keep an eye on; Nick Weston and JT Forkin. When these two are cleared to play will be interesting to see if they immediately got to the Second mid line.

Thought the D other then the first 10 minutes or so was excellent. Siena struggled to get good looks Molloy made a few nice saves. Thought the clears were very good and the long poles did a nice job of scooping groundballs and maintaining position. The SSDM's all looked good and we appeared to rotate there pretty liberally with Schwasnick, Paduda, and Hutchings I believe seeing sometime. Position should be a strength this year. Siena was only 1-3 on the man up but would like to see us tighten this up a bit if at all possible. Man down D is very difficult but we need an improvement over last year as we really struggled there last year. Sounds as if Mellen is doubtful for Albany, disappointing to say the least. Adding him to this solid D will be a real boost. Dipetro looks like a gamer already as a true Frosh, he is likely to see more PT as the season goes on.

All in all a pretty good start to the year. Main concerns at this point are the depth of the offense ie 2nd and 3rd midfield, injury to Mellen, and the difficulty of SU's schedule this year. This Saturday is going to be a very difficult test. Albany's O looks to be dangerous and there new faceoff guy Ierlan is going to be a thorn in our side for 4 years I am afraid. Will have more on that game later in the week.

Last edited:
The way Desko uses Ben W., has always been off to me. Never understood why he doesn't give more run to the backups early in the year to keep Ben fresh for ACC and tourney play. I think he wears him out a bit, but the kid is just so good, its tough to take him off the field. I will say I do agree with giving Varello run over Paduda, only because Cal has found a role as a SSDM, and is also a senior. We will need someone who is experienced next year to come in and take over.

The way Desko uses Ben W., has always been off to me. Never understood why he doesn't give more run to the backups early in the year to keep Ben fresh for ACC and tourney play. I think he wears him out a bit, but the kid is just so good, its tough to take him off the field. I will say I do agree with giving Varello run over Paduda, only because Cal has found a role as a SSDM, and is also a senior. We will need someone who is experienced next year to come in and take over.

Varello has looked good in the limited draws I have seen him take but we all know that doesn't mean much when you go up against the big boys. Still I think he has a bright future. SU also has two more faceoff guys coming in next year plus Martin is still on the roster. Will also be interesting to see if SU brings in a fogo transfer this off-season. A little surprised we didn't go after TD Ierlan more, his numbers at Victor were absolutely ridiculous. Ben is clearly Desko's #1 guy and he's going to live and die by him. He may have played him late on Saturday to help build up that stamina that will be needed to take so many draws this year.

Still have a hard time understanding Paduda on the wing with Williams taking he face off. Both players don't have the strongest stick skill and make some real questionable passes. They gave the ball away on 2 faceoffs and have to wonder with a better unit if that will haunt the team. Would like to see the 3rd/4th SSDM on the wing to help keep possession.

I think we'll see Weston before we see Forkin return. Forkin and Thorpe were seated in the handicap section of the stands behind the Cuse bench. Have to wonder how bad the knee injury is for Forkin

Still have a hard time understanding Paduda on the wing with Williams taking he face off. Both players don't have the strongest stick skill and make some real questionable passes. They gave the ball away on 2 faceoffs and have to wonder with a better unit if that will haunt the team. Would like to see the 3rd/4th SSDM on the wing to help keep possession.

I think we'll see Weston before we see Forkin return. Forkin and Thorpe were seated in the handicap section of the stands behind the Cuse bench. Have to wonder how bad the knee injury is for Forkin

Agree on Paduda. I like Schwasnick on the faceoffs much more then Cal. I suspect against a better opponent Desko will lean more on Schwasnick then Cal at least I hope so. Didn't see who the long stick was on the other side assuming Fusco?

Tough break for Forkin who really worked hard to get back. He already redshirted a year so he would need to receive a medical redshirt if he is looking at being out of the year or an extended period of time. Perhaps we can get someone from the DO or the P.S. to ask Desko at the next press conference about his status. Can one of you twitter guys send a tweet to Lindsay Kramer at the PS, he seems to be the head reporter covering the lax team. Maybe he can look into it and at least get us a timeline. Really hope this doesn't turn into Piroli part 2.

Last edited:
Agree on Paduda. I like Schwasnick on the faceoffs much more then Cal. I suspect against a better opponent Desko will lean more on Schwasnick then Cal at least I hope so. Didn't see who the long stick was on the other side assuming Fusco?

Tough break for Forkin who really worked hard to get back. He already redshirted a year so he would need to receive a medical redshirt if he is looking at being out of the year or an extended period of time. Perhaps we can get someone from the DO or the P.S. to ask Desko at the next press conference about his status. Can one of you twitter guys send a tweet to Lindsay Kramer at the PS, she seems to be the head reporter covering the lax team. Maybe she can look into it and at least get us a timeline. Really hope this doesn't turn into Piroli part 2.

Lindsay is a he, not a she.

Lindsay Kramer (@LindsayKramerPS) | Twitter

And Jon Mettus (former DO) has also been contributing to the PS.

From an offensive standpoint it was hard not be impressed with the attack unit and Bomberry. For the midfield Bomberry is as good as advertised. God help you if he has time and room because its going to be a goal. Thought he did a nice job off ball to making himself available on runs to the goal and obviously that behind the back goal was a thing of beauty.

If Bomberry is going to play like that all year you think he gets a pole? Wonder if teams might double pole our midfield like they did to Mariano and Salcido last year. I feel like Salcido is going to have to have a pole on him, simply too fast.

Bomberry is an impressively sized fellow (press conference). I understand his cousin is quite the load.

If Bomberry is going to play like that all year you think he gets a pole? Wonder if teams might double pole our midfield like they did to Mariano and Salcido last year. I feel like Salcido is going to have to have a pole on him, simply too fast.

Awful hard to pole Bomberry and leave Salcido running around there with a shorty. Desko could also bump Mariano to middie and put in Voigt or Rehfuss at attack and force the D's hand. Its not impossible but you have to have some excellent SSDM's to double pole the midfield. Maryland and maybe one or two other teams could probably do it but again that assumes Evans is struggling, if he isn't its nearly impossible to double pole the midfield. The beneficiary of these quandaries should be the 3rd attackmen and midfielder. Solomon took advantage of it this pas Saturday, hoping Lane does the same against Albany.

I thought Evans had a great game. Clearly the leader on the field playing where he plays best. Both turnovers were on aggressive sharp passes dropped by breaking shooters, not bad passes like turnovers by other players. By the way, because of the position they play, I would expect Evans and/or Mariano to have the most turnovers on the team. Evans caused havoc when Sienna had, or was going after the ball. He had seven ground balls and a caused turnover. He did things that do not show up in the box score. I know it was only Sienna, but the attack seems to be a more coordinated unit. It was great watching Evans and Marino rotate and switch roles. Clearly Jordan and Nick will be the play makers and Soloman will benefit from their play. Nate has already proved he is a finisher. The combination looks sharp. Jordan is under more control and Nick didn't take any wild shots, an improvement for both of them. As far as poles go, Evans had a long stick on him the entire game. Based on Saturday's performance all the attack will continue to have poles, opening up opportunities for a very strong first middie line. Finally, Brad Voight got some quality playing time with starters and he too looked sharp. But then again, it was Sienna. We will see how the attack does as the competition gets better. I think we are in good shape.

Evans looked quicker and more confident with the ball. Can he carry and create against excellent defenses? I don't know. He couldn't before this year but maybe he was never completely healthy before this year. It would be very nice to see him end his career as the player so many predicted he would be when he came to SU.

I thought Evans had a great game. Clearly the leader on the field playing where he plays best. Both turnovers were on aggressive sharp passes dropped by breaking shooters, not bad passes like turnovers by other players. By the way, because of the position they play, I would expect Evans and/or Mariano to have the most turnovers on the team. Evans caused havoc when Sienna had, or was going after the ball. He had seven ground balls and a caused turnover. He did things that do not show up in the box score. I know it was only Sienna, but the attack seems to be a more coordinated unit. It was great watching Evans and Marino rotate and switch roles. Clearly Jordan and Nick will be the play makers and Soloman will benefit from their play. Nate has already proved he is a finisher. The combination looks sharp. Jordan is under more control and Nick didn't take any wild shots, an improvement for both of them. As far as poles go, Evans had a long stick on him the entire game. Based on Saturday's performance all the attack will continue to have poles, opening up opportunities for a very strong first middie line. Finally, Brad Voight got some quality playing time with starters and he too looked sharp. But then again, it was Sienna. We will see how the attack does as the competition gets better. I think we are in good shape.

Evans looked quicker and more confident with the ball. Can he carry and create against excellent defenses? I don't know. He couldn't before this year but maybe he was never completely healthy before this year. It would be very nice to see him end his career as the player so many predicted he would be when he came to SU.

It may be possible that he was not at 100% in years past. Evans looked lighter, quicker, and more agile than he had in his career. That said I would have said the same thing after Marist a few years ago in the playoffs. Evans and the attack in general are critical to our success this year.

I only watched the game once and it kind of changed quickly with our superior athletes. Yet I really did not notice until Jeremy pointed it out that our second midfield wasn't productive. I really felt like the game never changed when they were out there but wasn't really paying close attention. This weekend will be an interesting test. Albany always plays us like it is for the national title.

Tough break for Forkin who really worked hard to get back. He already redshirted a year so he would need to receive a medical redshirt if he is looking at being out of the year or an extended period of time. Perhaps we can get someone from the DO or the P.S. to ask Desko at the next press conference about his status. Can one of you twitter guys send a tweet to Lindsay Kramer at the PS, he seems to be the head reporter covering the lax team. Maybe he can look into it and at least get us a timeline. Really hope this doesn't turn into Piroli part 2.

Laz was the long pole opposite Schwasnick through most of the 2nd half. I thought this was a very effective combo as they are both aggressive and make generally good decisions. I expect to see those two with Ben on FO's in crunch time.

I watched the game for a second time yesterday and agree with you regarding the poles after the first quarter they where excellent, really happy with Tyson Bomberry, great hit and stick work and shot, he's a physical player with an excellent stick. Firman is a known quantity and could play anywhere. I was surprised by how much time Dipietro saw as a freshman and looks to be a real player causing turnovers and picking up a lot of GB's, he went about his game quietly and went under the radar it was an excellent first game! Cunningham is the steady Eddie and was pleased with his performance. LSMS also played well, Fusco is a beast and also has that nasty streak which Swigart is a very smooth player that carries the ball very well.

Last edited:
I watched the game for a second time yesterday and agree with you regarding the poles after the first quarter they where excellent, really happy with Tyson Bomberry, great hit and stick work and shot, he's a physical player with an excellent stick. Firman is a known quantity and could play anywhere. I was surprised by how much time Dipietro saw as a freshman and looks to be a real player causing turnovers and picking up a lot of GB's, he went about his game quietly and went under the radar it was an excellent first game! Cunningham is the steady Eddie and was pleased with his performance. LSMS also played well, Fusco is a beast and also has that nasty streak which Swigart is a very smooth player that carries the ball very well.
Cunningham is the interesting guy to me here. When Mellen comes back, is he out of the lineup. We go with Firman, Tyson Bomberry, and Mellen? Or is it Mellen, Firman, Cunningham. I think DiPietro will continue to see minutes.

Cunningham is the interesting guy to me here. When Mellen comes back, is he out of the lineup. We go with Firman, Tyson Bomberry, and Mellen? Or is it Mellen, Firman, Cunningham. I think DiPietro will continue to see minutes.

Once Mellen comes back I believe the lineup will be Mellen, Firman, and Bomberry with Cunningham and Dipetro the 4th and 5th guy. Desko is comfortable with all 5 so you could see some rotations especially if SU finds itself playing D a lot. Team has a lot of talented young long stick defenders, might the best quality depth I can ever remember. The 2008 squad might have been more talented overall at the top 3 and LSM but this team is pretty close on paper and a majority of the talent are Sophs or younger. Bodes well for the next few years to say the least.

Once Mellen comes back I believe the lineup will be Mellen, Firman, and Bomberry with Cunningham and Dipetro the 4th and 5th guy. Desko is comfortable with all 5 so you could see some rotations especially if SU finds itself playing D a lot. Team has a lot of talented young long stick defenders, might the best quality depth I can ever remember. The 2008 squad might have been more talented overall at the top 3 and LSM but this team is pretty close on paper and a majority of the talent are Sophs or younger. Bodes well for the next few years to say the least.

Firman can also move back up to LSM as needed.

Firman can also move back up to LSM as needed.

At this point I doubt they move him back. Between Fusco and Swigart and Helmer there's more LSM depth then they know what to do with. They have also had him working on covering quicker attackmen and those nuances all off-season and the start of spring camp moving him back now would take him a bit to re-adjust. I could see them moving him for a one off ala guarding Perkovic vs ND or Myles Jones at Duke if he was still there due to his familiarity with those players.

At this point I doubt they move him back. Between Fusco and Swigart and Helmer there's more LSM depth then they know what to do with. They have also had him working on covering quicker attackmen and those nuances all off-season and the start of spring camp moving him back now would take him a bit to re-adjust. I could see them moving him for a one off ala guarding Perkovic vs ND or Myles Jones at Duke if he was still there due to his familiarity with those players.

Scott Firman adjusts from long stick middie to close defense in senior year

When Mellen returns to action, Firman may play both long stick and pole, depending on the opposition. With quicker and faster attackmen, Firman will likely stay down low. But with quick midfielders, Firman will move back up to his natural position.

Scott Firman adjusts from long stick middie to close defense in senior year

When Mellen returns to action, Firman may play both long stick and pole, depending on the opposition. With quicker and faster attackmen, Firman will likely stay down low. But with quick midfielders, Firman will move back up to his natural position.

I think that echoes pretty much what I said, unless theres an elite mid-fielder a la Perkovic, Tinney at JHU or maybe one of the UNC guys he's going to stay at close. The only game he should move back for in my mind for sure is JHU for Tinney. Perkovic you can argue either way but I assume they will move him for that game as well.

I think that echoes pretty much what I said, unless theres an elite mid-fielder a la Perkovic, Tinney at JHU or maybe one of the UNC guys he's going to stay at close. The only game he should move back for in my mind for sure is JHU for Tinney. Perkovic you can argue either way but I assume they will move him for that game as well.
Agree, I like Fusco's physicality against Perkovic, not sure he has the speed to stay with Tinney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom