Something feels different... | Syracusefan.com

Something feels different...

StCuse315

Walk On
Very quiet this offseason. It feels like in house, the team knows they have something brewing. Proven players on both sides of the ball. Weaknesses addressed on the coaching staff. Quality transfers brought in that all have a shot to contribute.

Here are 3 bold predictions for the next calendar year...

1. Rhino plays in every game and we win 8 of them

2. Tucker is invited to the Heisman presentation

3. We have at least 3 players taken in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft

Im ready to run through a wall, ladies and gentlemen! LGO!!

Very quiet this offseason. It feels like in house, the team knows they have something brewing. Proven players on both sides of the ball. Weaknesses addressed on the coaching staff. Quality transfers brought in that all have a shot to contribute.

I’ll only believe it if JerseyOrange posts something to that effect. Or affect.

Great to see someone with a positive outlook !

I think something feels different but for reasons different from yours. Every year I head into it with orange glasses. “Tommy’s gonna light it up.” Type optimism. Every. Single. Year. This year I’m calm. I really feel like we have a good team but the schedule is… tough. It’s the first time I’ve tempered my expectations… and that’s why we will probably win a national championship.

Last edited:

Let’s resurrect the “this year will be different ” threads from previous years, including 2020.

Honestly, I’ve gotten to the point where I hope that we lose every single game (including Wagner and UCONN) just to get Dino fired.

He’s probably not going to get fired if he has one of his typical 5-7 or 4-8 seasons. And if he has a 6-6 season-oh, God, that’ll get him a 3-5 year extension.

Honestly, I’ve gotten to the point where I hope that we lose every single game (including Wagner and UCONN) just to get Dino fired.

He’s probably not going to get fired if he has one of his typical 5-7 or 4-8 seasons. And if he has a 6-6 season-oh, God, that’ll get him a 3-5 year extension.
I respect your right to an opinion. You have made clear where you stand should Dino have a losing record and I think you hold true with a .500 record. Assume he has the following records, how would you handle HCDB's employment?

12-0
11-1
10-2
9-3
8-4
7-5

Do you factor in:
- two consecutive chancellors who cared little to nothing for the Athletics Department?
- two bad football hires, both with bad timing issues
- the fact that SU is a private school and neither cannot nor will not recklessly fund infrastructure for which it cannot readily afford
-an AD that is actually run correctly and gives back to the host university most years (if universities ADs were held to SEC standards, few would be allowed to stay in business!)

And that is just the start. I am not a fool, HCDB has work to do. Yet I recognize the above, that he came to Syracuse when it was down, with few P5 players, recruited depth, developed young talent, has less flashy facilities, no bagmen with money to throw at players, he does not take kids to strip joints to sign them, he does not use cheerleaders as recruiting w*****, he plays by the rules, his team attends classes, earns degrees(see academic mission of the university), he is good with the public, good with donors, and he assembled a good staff.

Personally, outside of abject failure, I am willing to give him a couple years. I know from whence he came with the program and we are light years ahead of where we were. We have a ways to go, yet this staff is proven. The D is solid, has been and is built to continue rolling. The O has some tools and now has proven coaches, they will only improve.

I know why you are frustrated, I recall the glory years. I want them, too. HCDB has been rebuilding the football house of Syracuse brick by brick, unfortunately, it takes time. Hang tough one more season before making the call. Let the facts speak for themselves, then weigh then en toto, not with simple cherry-picked stats.

I respect your right to an opinion. You have made clear where you stand should Dino have a losing record and I think you hold true with a .500 record. Assume he has the following records, how would you handle HCDB's employment?

12-0
11-1
10-2
9-3
8-4
7-5

Do you factor in:
- two consecutive chancellors who cared little to nothing for the Athletics Department?
- two bad football hires, both with bad timing issues
- the fact that SU is a private school and neither cannot nor will not recklessly fund infrastructure for which it cannot readily afford
-an AD that is actually run correctly and gives back to the host university most years (if universities ADs were held to SEC standards, few would be allowed to stay in business!)

And that is just the start. I am not a fool, HCDB has work to do. Yet I recognize the above, that he came to Syracuse when it was down, with few P5 players, recruited depth, developed young talent, has less flashy facilities, no bagmen with money to throw at players, he does not take kids to strip joints to sign them, he does not use cheerleaders as recruiting w*****, he plays by the rules, his team attends classes, earns degrees(see academic mission of the university), he is good with the public, good with donors, and he assembled a good staff.

Personally, outside of abject failure, I am willing to give him a couple years. I know from whence he came with the program and we are light years ahead of where we were. We have a ways to go, yet this staff is proven. The D is solid, has been and is built to continue rolling. The O has some tools and now has proven coaches, they will only improve.

I know why you are frustrated, I recall the glory years. I want them, too. HCDB has been rebuilding the football house of Syracuse brick by brick, unfortunately, it takes time. Hang tough one more season before making the call. Let the facts speak for themselves, then weigh then en toto, not with simple cherry-picked stats.
I’d sign him to lifetime contract with that record. This ain’t 1993 anymore.

We need more "fans" just like you. Keep staring at that half empty glass and wallowing in misery, but do us all a favor...keep it to yourself.

Winning has not come. But the foundation for winning is as strong as it has been in 2 decades. I want to see Dino and staff stay at least 2 more years and see if that score board starts to change

I hope SU has a great season and Dino coaches here for a dozen more years.

I'm hardly Dino's biggest fan, but I don't understand that mindset at all. As long as he is SU's coach, I want him to be wildly successful because that means SU is wildly successful. On internet boards, and sometimes on our own hoops board, you see "fans" wanting the coach to fail so that it justifies their own opinion of the coach/program. They put their ego ahead of SU.

I want us to win all 12 games plus the bowl game. I don't have any particular faith in Dino but I want SU football to be successful, so I would never root for us to lose so I could say "I told you so!" As long as he is our coach, I want him to be a winner. End of story.

I'm hardly Dino's biggest fan, but I don't understand that mindset at all. As long as he is SU's coach, I want him to be wildly successful because that means SU is wildly successful. On internet boards, and sometimes on our own hoops board, you see "fans" wanting the coach to fail so that it justifies their own opinion of the coach/program. They put their ego ahead of SU.

I want us to win all 12 games plus the bowl game. I don't have any particular faith in Dino but I want SU football to be successful, so I would never root for us to lose so I could say "I told you so!" As long as he is our coach, I want him to be a winner. End of story.
I’ve seen over the years that new posters who come to this board, with definitively negative views, eventually temper their comments or just stop posting. I think it takes time for them to realize this isn’t the Syracuse.com fan board where flame wars rule.

RIght there with you Dick. I have serious reservations that Dino is the answer, but I just can't imagine cheering against my team just to prove I'm right.

Geez!!! I can't believe you said that, I really can't. I hope your hope gets totally crushed to smithereens.

I’ve seen over the years that new posters who come to this board, with definitively negative views, eventually temper their comments or just stop posting. I think it takes time for them to realize this isn’t the Syracuse.com fan board where flame wars rule.
When some completely new person comes on the board, and just starts criticising, I just skip their rant after the first one.
Ben and Mac never would have made it to the good seasons with some of these type of fans.

Same here. I'm critical of his performance so far but I root for wins at every turn. There isn't an NBA lottery in college football. wins brings better players period.

We need to win. My only concern is the middle ground area where we do finish near 500 and there is a further diminution of relevancy with the program.

Louisville is a massive game to get off on the right foot