Something I learned about the Service Academies' teams | Syracusefan.com

Something I learned about the Service Academies' teams

texascpa

Living Legend
Some of you may recall that I have mentioned being heavily involved in youth football in the past down here in Texas. Honestly, though, who isn't? :D Kidding aside, I had helped coach a friend's team several years ago. He had a son who was destined for college football. Ended up winning state his Senior year on the 6A Division II Katy Tigers. Started 3 years. He was courted by several FCS teams, Ivies and Army. Army put the hard press on him. Monkin was heavily involved. While the kid didn't come from a military family and army life wasn't a priority, he ended up choosing Army due to the position they wanted him for (Will) and the opportunity to play Division 1.

So, Army actually has two teams - the main team and a Freshmen team. I think Freshmen actually go to different schooling too, but I could be wrong. Last year, as a Freshman, he was considered part of the main team but never got to dress. He was on the Scout team, got very good feedback and was listed third on depth chart for kickoff team. If you know Army's roster size, that's an accomplishment for a Freshman. Problem was, there was a logjam of Will's.

Going into Spring, his Dad was hopeful he would make an impression and move up the depth chart. Off-season workouts had been really good (top Freshman bench other than linemen, I believe). During the Spring game, his dad said he played about 40 percent of the snaps. Quite a bit for a Freshman moving into his Sophomore year. Things looked to be good.

The next day he was cut. Yep. Army actually cuts players. This is not the same as university's that push kids out for "medical" reasons. This was a "hey, we're sorry to inform you but we're cutting you". I guess along with not having to abide by the recruiting numbers requirements, the Academies can also cut players. I learned something new.

Interestingly, Dad was devastated, the son not so much. He immediately put his name in the portal (hey, a good portal story!) and the same day several FCS schools reached out to him, two located in TX. Son isn't sure what he wants to do, however. He's deciding whether to extend his football career or continue with Army for his development and career aspirations. I'm hoping the latter.

How does he get out of the service commitment?

ROTC?

How does he get out of the service commitment?

ROTC?

Well, one of the selling points by the coaching staff was "hey, if you end up not liking it here, you can transfer in two years". I take that he does not have the same service commitment as other cadets due to being recruited for football, but I could be wrong.

Some of you may recall that I have mentioned being heavily involved in youth football in the past down here in Texas. Honestly, though, who isn't? :D Kidding aside, I had helped coach a friend's team several years ago. He had a son who was destined for college football. Ended up winning state his Senior year on the 6A Division II Katy Tigers. Started 3 years. He was courted by several FCS teams, Ivies and Army. Army put the hard press on him. Monkin was heavily involved. While the kid didn't come from a military family and army life wasn't a priority, he ended up choosing Army due to the position they wanted him for (Will) and the opportunity to play Division 1.

So, Army actually has two teams - the main team and a Freshmen team. I think Freshmen actually go to different schooling too, but I could be wrong. Last year, as a Freshman, he was considered part of the main team but never got to dress. He was on the Scout team, got very good feedback and was listed third on depth chart for kickoff team. If you know Army's roster size, that's an accomplishment for a Freshman. Problem was, there was a logjam of Will's.

Going into Spring, his Dad was hopeful he would make an impression and move up the depth chart. Off-season workouts had been really good (top Freshman bench other than linemen, I believe). During the Spring game, his dad said he played about 40 percent of the snaps. Quite a bit for a Freshman moving into his Sophomore year. Things looked to be good.

The next day he was cut. Yep. Army actually cuts players. This is not the same as university's that push kids out for "medical" reasons. This was a "hey, we're sorry to inform you but we're cutting you". I guess along with not having to abide by the recruiting numbers requirements, the Academies can also cut players. I learned something new.

Interestingly, Dad was devastated, the son not so much. He immediately put his name in the portal (hey, a good portal story!) and the same day several FCS schools reached out to him, two located in TX. Son isn't sure what he wants to do, however. He's deciding whether to extend his football career or continue with Army for his development and career aspirations. I'm hoping the latter.
He is not on an athletics scholarship at the Service Academy. Still goes to school for free. Actually gets paid as well. That's why they can cut.

...He's deciding whether to extend his football career or continue with Army for his development and career aspirations. I'm hoping the latter.

Me too. Disappointing to lose football, obviously, but USMA is a great institution and the hard part is usually getting in and managing the first-year experience.

Me too. Disappointing to lose football, obviously, but USMA is a great institution and the hard part is usually getting in and managing the first-year experience.
I have a friend who attended the Naval Academy. One reason he was accepted was his swimming ability. Once at Annapolis, swimming did not work out. However, he was still required to be on a team, so he joined the competitive sailing team. I suspect the team participation requirement also exists at West Point.

I have a friend who attended the Naval Academy. One reason he was accepted was his swimming ability. Once at Annapolis, swimming did not work out. However, he was still required to be on a team, so he joined the competitive sailing team. I suspect the team participation requirement also exists at West Point.
I had two boys attend: one to West Point and one to Air Force Academy

Everyone is encouraged to participate in some sport Varsity, Club or Intramural...part of the well rounded person concept.

The academies literally bring in 50+ kids to play football.

Most sports recruited "Freshmen" go to an affiliated prep school for a year then move on to do four more years. They weed themselves out...each Academy hopes 15-20 solid D-1 players develop out of the 50 or so offered appointments.

Are you thinking of the Academy Prep which is also at West Point? They go to different schooling than the cadets actually admitted to the Academy at West Point. They have just about every team West Point does. A friend ran track and XCountry for the Naval Academy Prep (which is in Newport, RI) before being admitted to the Academy itself.

Are you thinking of the Academy Prep which is also at West Point? They go to different schooling than the cadets actually admitted to the Academy at West Point. They have just about every team West Point does. A friend ran track and XCountry for the Naval Academy Prep (which is in Newport, RI) before being admitted to the Academy itself.

Yeah, could be. They usually go for a year, right?

So, spoke with his dad last night - Rice is interested, along with Princeton. Princeton apparently is very strict in their admissions window (not just the academic scores) and closed early Feb. The coaches said they are going push admissions to do a late add. If they do, he will be the latest Spring admissions add in Princeton's history, lol. I guess the coach's want him bad.

Join the rugby team. They’re a national powerhouse and chances are his size/speed would be an asset. Great coaching too, hard to beat a West Point degree…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom