Something smells... | Syracusefan.com

Something smells...

Cuse'91

All American
Can someone please tell me the last Syracuse player on the Bills roster???

It's not Nix.
I know Marcellus Wiley personally, he is a SoCal guy now.
Told me straight up Bills ownership does not like SU...

It's not Nix.
Marcellus Wiley doesn't know anything, that's why he's a pundit on ESPN and not a player personnel guy.

It's not Nix.
Who cares what Bills think?

Back in the day they drafted Gary Anderson and cut him in training camp. How'd that work out? "wide right Norwood"

I'll give you that... But, argument still applies...
How many Orange players have they paid in the last 40yrs?
Given SU and Army are the only 2 major college programs in the Empire State...
Who really cares except for the fact that Doug is now the coach? That's the whole reason the issue is brought up. The Bills current GM is known to select guys from the south (ACC/SEC) and the Pac-10. But, when Doug had a chance to invite players to camp he chose two available Syracuse guys. And, I think Provo is going to stick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more get looks as UDFAs. Lemon, Goggins, Sales, etc...

The Bills aren't in the business of supporting local colleges or their players. When the former Syracuse coach however could invite some guys for a look he chose two former players.

Who really cares except for the fact that Doug is now the coach? That's the whole reason the issue is brought up. The Bills current GM is known to select guys from the south (ACC/SEC) and the Pac-10. But, when Doug had a chance to invite players to camp he chose two available Syracuse guys. And, I think Provo is going to stick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more get looks as UDFAs. Lemon, Goggins, Sales, etc...

The Bills aren't in the business of supporting local colleges or their players. When the former Syracuse coach however could invite some guys for a look he chose two former players.
Whatever you say...
It's not like NFL franchises support and cultivate local fan good will by having local college and high school players on their roster. Or do they?

And another former Syracuse player that coaches (with 2 rings) DRAFTED 2 Syracuse players and maybe 1 more.

And another former Syracuse player that coaches (with 2 rings) DRAFTED 2 Syracuse players and maybe 1 more.
I know you are arguing that they know better than the Bills, and that has been proven, but its still not something that does or should cross the mind of the Bills' decision makers. I would be disgusted to learn that the school the player attended had any impact on the pick. A player from Central Michigan went #1 overall. Obviously teams like Alabama traditionally put out more pros and face stronger competition, but evaluations should come down to the ability of the player based on everything they know about him, but not "did he go to Syracuse?"

Whatever you say...
It's not NFL franchises support and cultivate local fan good will by having local college and high school players on their roster. Or do they?
I think the bad teams like the Bills have done that too much. Football decisions should not be made with the intention of selling tickets or good will to the community. If they make moves to get better and succeed, they will have no problem filling the stadium and getting local fans to cheer for them. The Bills were their most popular when they went to 4 straight Super Bowls. Even most of the Syracuse faithful that frequent this board even realized he had two former players in for a trial.

I know you are arguing that they know better than the Bills, and that has been proven, but its still not something that does or should cross the mind of the Bills' decision makers. I would be disgusted to learn that the school the player attended had any impact on the pick. A player from Central Michigan went #1 overall. Obviously teams like Alabama traditionally put out more pros and face stronger competition, but evaluations should come down to the ability of the player based on everything they know about him, but not "did he go to Syracuse?"
http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/sp...all-time-biggest-producers-of-nfl-talent.html
Bama 15th all time Cuse tied for 24th. They have 39 more pros than Syracuse. Not much. Just pointing that out.

I see a post like this and I say to myself...his next post is going to be 'headband or no headband?' over on the hoop board...

I see a post like this and I say to myself...his next post is going to be 'headband or no headband?' over on the hoop board...
Hey, that's not a bad idea...:)
Seriously though, what would it hurt to have a few SU players on the roster even as special teamers over the years for the sake of local good will and espirit de corp?

Hey, that's not a bad idea...:)
Seriously though, what would it hurt to have a few SU players on the roster even as special teamers over the years for the sake of local good will and espirit de corp?
Irrelevant

Irrelevant
Whatever you say... But, there's more to a NFL franchise than what happens on the gridiron. There's such things as marketing your team beyond it's city limits, community feelings amongst it's fanbase...
I was shocked when Marcellus Wiley told me the Bills ownership's feelings toward SU...

They haven't had SU players in the past. The coaching staff change has maintained the status quo. Not that they should draft SU players based on geography, just that they haven't had a history of looking east on Route 90.

So the Bills CEO, who is a Syracuse native that serves on the Board of one of SU's Colleges and who hired the Syracuse football coach as his own is part of the scheme to make sure the team does not have any Syracuse players?

OK. Cool.

So the Bills CEO, who is a Syracuse native that serves on the Board of one of SU's Colleges and who hired the Syracuse football coach as his own is part of the scheme to make sure the team does not have any Syracuse players?

OK. Cool.
Give a plausible explanation then, and don't say it just worked out that way over the decades... A CEO reports to ownership, no?

Whatever you say...
It's not like NFL franchises support and cultivate local fan good will by having local college and high school players on their roster. Or do they?

The NFL is a business. If you honestly think any owner, GM or coach would overlook a player and pick someone who isn't as good simply because of what college they are from I don't think you are being realistic. Now, if you are saying a team may factor in a college when two guys are of similar caliber, I wouldn't argue that. Some colleges are known for producing NFL ready players, some colleges are even known for producing NFL ready players at only certain positions. However, I believe my original point, when you are in the NFL your job depends on how successful a player/team is on the field, guys aren't going to pass on a better player to choose a lesser player simply because they don't like a certain college.

The NFL is a business. If you honestly think any owner, GM or coach would overlook a player and pick someone who isn't as good simply because of what college they are from I don't think you are being realistic. Now, if you are saying a team may factor in a college when two guys are of similar caliber, I wouldn't argue that. Some colleges are known for producing NFL ready players, some colleges are even known for producing NFL ready players at only certain positions. However, I believe my original point, when you are in the NFL your job depends on how successful a player/team is on the field, guys aren't going to pass on a better player to choose a lesser player simply because they don't like a certain college.
Of course, I'm not saying the Bills should take a Cuse player just because he is from SU. Yes, I think it should be one factor in evaluating a prospect... But, there hasn't be any like that from SU over the years? Just seems fishy in my book...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom